Apple's Front Row media experience coming to iBook line

Comments

• Reply 41 of 126
    Quote:

13" MacBook ("Best") - white - $1299

13" MacBook Pro - silver - $1499/$1799

I do hope you're right.. there must be pretty few buyers out there that would be tempted to 'go pro' for $200!

It would be a classic upsell stategy. "OK so you're 'Going Pro' - So now you need some more ram and faster hard drive"... etc etc
  • Reply 42 of 126
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pyriX

My bad, ur correction stands. DVD-RIP, Nero or any half decent video editing system will allow you to do this though.

no worries. personally i can't stand Nero though. hurts my brain when i try to use it damned macs! i'm so spoilt nowadays...
  • Reply 43 of 126
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by OfficerDigby

I do hope you're right.. there must be pretty few buyers out there that would be tempted to 'go pro' for $200!

It would be a classic upsell stategy. "OK so you're 'Going Pro' - So now you need some more ram and faster hard drive"... etc etc

-core duo

-backlit keyboard with ambient light sensors

-128mb ati mobility radeon x1600 with dual link dvi support

i'll be in

one more thing:

1 version instead of 2, because what would you ad for another $300?

256mb gpu and 1.83Ghz core duo?

that would steal the thunder of the 15.4" mbp

maybe if they would be priced like this $ 1,599/$1,999 ?

but i doubt that.

it requires a meron to justify such a price tag.

[edit] it's a merom

i know...typo [/edit]
  • Reply 44 of 126
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

Well, I suppose we don't know that yet.

First, maybe not. Second, maybe...

13" MacBook ("Good") - white - $899

13" MacBook ("Better") - white - $1199

13" MacBook ("Best") - white - $1299

13" MacBook Pro - silver - $1499/$1799

15" MacBook Pro - silver - $1999/$2499

17" MacBook Pro - silver - $2799

All widescreen, iSight, etc.

Of course if they do drop in a 13" and 17" MacBook Pro, they could rejigger the 15" MacBook Pro features and pricing a bit.

( or something along those lines )

I suspect that they are streamlining things again.

My guess is

15" MacBook ("Best") - white - $1399

To cut costs not only will these have the Core Solo but Intel integrated everything and no expansion slot.
  • Reply 45 of 126
    Making a black iBook would be to most stupid thing to do, whose gona notice that? Apple is all about thinking different. Opening Mac notebook in a crowd should be a statement, that white/aluminium notebook in middle of those dull black(gray) notebooks.
  • Reply 46 of 126
    Quote:

Originally posted by xflare

Get that iSight crap out and put a Superdrive in as standard... Apple will be a laughing stock selling a $1000 computer with CDRW in 2006 - worse, the tag of selling over priced hardware would be fully justified.

It's not a CDRW, it's a combo drive. DVD-R + CDRW. There are plenty laptops around that price with just a combo drive.
  • Reply 47 of 126
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

Hooray! I get to control a 13" screen from 30' away!

The display on my CD player is 1" by 3" yet I can't imagine using it without a remote. FrontRow controls more than just movies.
  • Reply 48 of 126
    Quote:

Originally posted by Multimedia

iPostage Stamp. Still waiting for the 17" MacBook Pro with a FW 800 port back in. Anyone who thinks we don't need FW 800 any more never invested in external FW 800 cases. NAB?

Belkin supposedly have an FW800 ExpressCard34 adaptor coming out soon and I imagine others will too for all those people with RAIDs hanging off their laptop.
  • Reply 49 of 126
    Quote:

Originally posted by shanmugam

No 12" PowerBook replacement?, that's strange

I imagine there'll be a 13" widescreen MacBook Pro although if Apple are adding a superdrive, camera and making the iBook thinner then perhaps there's not much point in a Pro model. The 12" PowerBook was little more than an iBook with an aluminium case anyway.

I hope, like the iMac Core Duo, they allow screen spanning on the new iBook, and an ExpressCard slot would be nice too.

(and I'm still hankering after an OSX running OQO)
  • Reply 50 of 126
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox There is nothing in the world that says "purposeful badass" like a durable, slightly textured, matte black finish.

I think you're forgetting camoflage green, preferably spray painted over layers of Hammerite with stencilled political slogans.

I can't see them doing black like the Nano. It would scratch way too easily on an iBook form. Apart from that, the shiny black thing just reminds me of all the black and chrome furniture we had in the 80s. I'm sure that'll come around again but it was horrible then, and it'll be horrible again.

Apple do seem to have settled on a design signature and aren't taking the risks they took with the multi-coloured iMac, original iBook and G3. I like the forms they have now but perhaps some special editions would be nice.
  • Reply 51 of 126
    Quote:

Originally posted by aegisdesign

I imagine there'll be a 13" widescreen MacBook Pro although if Apple are adding a superdrive, camera and making the iBook thinner then perhaps there's not much point in a Pro model. The 12" PowerBook was little more than an iBook with an aluminium case anyway.

I hope, like the iMac Core Duo, they allow screen spanning on the new iBook, and an ExpressCard slot would be nice too.

(and I'm still hankering after an OSX running OQO)

Indeed. It's often said the 12" PB G4 is an iBook in disguise. Writing on one right now I have to say that's true today, but it wasn't in 2003 when I bought this. The iBooks were G3's then!

Ever since the iBooks turned G4 the PowerBook 12" has seemed a bit of an odd model out. Better looks (if you like Aluminium like I do) and much better keyboard - essential for a wordsmith like me - but the real specs are too close for comfort.

What I lust for is something with a good processor and Sub notebook style.

Yes: the PowerBook nano!

Until there's a revolutionary new light laptop from Apple like that (and of course I'm willing to pay $$$ like I did for my 12" three years ago) then I'm sticking with this old workhorse. It's done me proud. And may well get a flash hard drive upgrade when those eventually get into the mainstream. I've refitted the hard drive before and I'd love a perfectly silent one. A supreme writing machine!
  • Reply 52 of 126
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    i'm going to be bold and say there is a 90 percent chance of them releasing a black ibook.

it's just too much maddness of them NOT to release one, just like not releasing a new powerbook (macbook) last month.

so i am confident we will see a black ibook.

quote me on this.
  • Reply 53 of 126
    So what are the chances of a widescreen 11.3 inch sub-notebook?
  • Reply 54 of 126
    Quote:

Originally posted by Elixir

it would be a marketing brain fart if apple does not release a black ibook. i'm pissed off they ddint' atleast darken the macbook pro line.

what are they thinking? come on

If you really want colored macs you can always custom order one from http://www.colorwarepc.com ...given it's more expensive...but it's still an option. And they seem to keep fairly up to date on product lines.
  • Reply 55 of 126
    baygbmbaygbm Posts: 147member
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

Ah. Apparently it's time for my semi-annual rant about how Apple should and must offer laptops with a durable, slightly textured, matte black finish.

(Ahem) Apple should and must offer laptops with a durable, slightly textured, matte black finish.

I thinking here about something like what is on equipment racks and the like. Just a nice, deep, velvety black that never shows fingerprints or smudging, robust enough to get knocked around without scratching.

There is nothing in the world that says "purposeful badass" like a durable, slightly textured, matte black finish.

Thank you.

Ditto!
  • Reply 56 of 126
    Quote:

Originally posted by TenoBell

In an interview with Business Week, Jobs said from a design perspective there wasn't much more they could do to make the iMac better.

Oh, c'mon, there's always room for improvement.

I could imagine a future iMac with a scroll-like screen that would horizontally unfurl from the base (like a papyrus scroll) and the base would contain the computer. CDs/DVDs/BDs would be inserted into the top of the base just behind the screen, and the keyboard and screen would include an "echolocation" feature allowing one to use natural expressive hand movements to guide computer functions.

It's coming, I guaranteeeeee it.
  • Reply 57 of 126
    Quote:

Originally posted by SpamSandwich

Oh, c'mon, there's always room for improvement.

I could imagine a future iMac with a scroll-like screen that would horizontally unfurl from the base (like a papyrus scroll) and the base would contain the computer. CDs/DVDs/BDs would be inserted into the top of the base just behind the screen, and the keyboard and screen would include an "echolocation" feature allowing one to use natural expressive hand movements to guide computer functions.

It's coming, I guaranteeeeee it.

I like it. If only so that Charles Jade over at Ars can talk about "the Mac (waves hands) experience" and mean it.

edit: and I'll point out we had this in 1987 or so on the Amiga with the Mandala system.
  • Reply 58 of 126
    josa92josa92 Posts: 193member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

Lime green actually.

Can I have it????
  • Reply 59 of 126
    josa92josa92 Posts: 193member
    Quote:

[B]Ah. Apparently it's time for my semi-annual rant about how Apple should and must offer laptops with a durable, slightly textured, matte black finish.

(Ahem) Apple should and must offer laptops with a durable, slightly textured, matte black finish.

I thinking here about something like what is on equipment racks and the like. Just a nice, deep, velvety black that never shows fingerprints or smudging, robust enough to get knocked around without scratching.

There is nothing in the world that says "purposeful badass" like a durable, slightly textured, matte black finish.

NOTHING SAYS "I'M A BORING, UNINTERESTED BUSINESSMAN WHO LOVES MY POCKET PROTECTOR" THAN A SLIGHTLY TEXTURED, MATTE BLACK FINISH!
  • Reply 60 of 126
    zandroszandros Posts: 537member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shanmugam

guess he is comparing discounted iMac G5 with iMac Core Duo?

Not true. In the Swedish Apple Store, the 17" iMac is 2% more expensive, and the low end MBP is 5% more expensive than the 15" PowerBook. The percentages of the UK store is slightly different, but the new Macs are more expensive than their predecessors.

As for a fun fact, Storbritannien (Great Britain) is misspelled on the Swedish page.

For another fun fact, Intel's codename for its next mobility CPU is Merom. (Now where's the rolleyes smiley?)