Ati X1600 Gpu

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    For the record, 10.4.4 on the new Intel macs does use hardware assisted h.264 decoding. No word if the encoding is enabled yet, but no doubt it will be.
  • Reply 22 of 33
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    And now the X1900 is introduced...

Hopefully the switch to Intel will help availability of future Mac graphics card upgrades. Using standard PC cards would be awesome.

At any rate, I hope the X1600 or something is released for Macs. Either it will push the X800 prices down or will kick ass enough so that its worth paying for.

I feel dirty paying $400 for the X800.

However, since my G5 has AGP, my future upgrade options are starting to look limited. Good thing the machine is 2.5 years old.
  • Reply 23 of 33
    Hardware ENCODING isn't going to happen on GPU's. Encoding is so branch dependent that it'd likely be slower on the GPU than the CPU. GPU's do a small amount of tasks very well, and that's it.

A seperate H264 encoding card for people working with video? Maybe.
  • Reply 24 of 33
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gregmightdothat

Hardware ENCODING isn't going to happen on GPU's. Encoding is so branch dependent that it'd likely be slower on the GPU than the CPU. GPU's do a small amount of tasks very well, and that's it.

A seperate H264 encoding card for people working with video? Maybe.

So it won't happen on hardware but you want a separate hardware card for it? Can you follow that logic because I can't.

ATI has said GPU assisted encoding is coming and supported by current hardware and I am inclined to believe them. If branches were too large a problem then the netburst cores would be dreadful at it.
  • Reply 25 of 33
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    hey has anyone tried flashing a 6600GT to use in the pci-express powermac g5s? just curious, since 6600 and 6600LE's are used in pci-express powermac g5s, if i am not mistaken.
  • Reply 26 of 33
    okay, while on the topic, i realised my 6600gt can do shader model 3.0 and HDR. but someone mentioned that it can't do HDR and antialiasing at the same time? or something like that? anyway, got 1753 3dmark06 points with my pc rig. sweet

edit: some discussions here

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26960

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread....oto=nextoldest

it seems that doing "true" HDR (high dynamic range) lighting (the FP16 kind )+ FSAA (full screen antialiasing) at the same time is not possible on the nVidia 6600GT, or even the 7-series cards.

it seems like a complex issue though because i definitely get what looks like HDR and some antialiasing on my 6600GT. but then apparently there's MSAA and SSAA (multisample and subsample antialiasing?) and what not. phew. brain in knots right now.

can some l337 haXX0r translate the following into english?

"Nvidia can do already HDR with AA, their ROPs are not limited to AA function. AA can be done in PS as well (Nalu Demo!). So if the devs use this "path" with their FP16 HDR, then the NV40/G70 will have HDR+AA. When a dev uses just the "quick way" thru OpenExr then AA isn´t possible on NV40/G70. I personally don´t think it should be all that hard to fully enable OpenExr with AA, but we will see that when the G71 will be out. I bet the final specs and features will be released, I mean leaked around the end of Feb, if not earlier."
  • Reply 27 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

"Nvidia can do already HDR with AA, their ROPs are not limited to AA function. AA can be done in PS as well (Nalu Demo!). So if the devs use this "path" with their FP16 HDR, then the NV40/G70 will have HDR+AA. When a dev uses just the "quick way" thru OpenExr then AA isn?t possible on NV40/G70. I personally don?t think it should be all that hard to fully enable OpenExr with AA, but we will see that when the G71 will be out. I bet the final specs and features will be released, I mean leaked around the end of Feb, if not earlier."

Lemme see if I can translate. HDR means, obviously, "hard drive," and AA stands for "amino acid." Me, I wasn't personally aware that biochemistry was extending into the data storage industry, but there it is, spelled out. ROP is RighteOus Points.

Everybody knows that PS stands for "post script," and Nalu Demo is the Cuban mathematician/poet who first coined this novel way of extending a letter beyond its logical stopping point. The next line I'm not sure about, but I think that a dev is some kind of personal grooming device, "path" is slang for "exfoliant," and NV40/G70 is a character from Star Wars.

The rest makes perfect sense given these interpretations.
  • Reply 28 of 33
    Sorry, I was out late last night watching jazz...
  • Reply 29 of 33
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    I'm still trying to work out if watching jazz was a good thing or a bad thing for you
  • Reply 30 of 33
    Quote:

Hardware ENCODING isn't going to happen on GPU's.

Apparently it is going to, at least partially. It hasn't been released yet, but it is stated to be coming (for the X1000-series GPUs). Encoding and transcoding. Of course having chips that support it, and having Mac drivers that actually use the feature, are two different things.

Quote:

Encoding is so branch dependent that it'd likely be slower on the GPU than the CPU. GPU's do a small amount of tasks very well, and that's it.

It looks like ATI expects to be able to use the GPU to make the process substantially faster, by taking the things like in-loop deblocking, motion compensation and inverse transform and shunting them to the GPU. Clever Canadians. It should be interesting; however, it's already late (going by their original launch estimates), so who knows when it'll really arrive.
  • Reply 31 of 33
    duckspeak did you have one too many beers at the jazz thing?

anyway, yeah, export to Quicktime h.264 on mac hardware accelerated if you have a x1000+ card would be sweet.

would also be good on the core-duo-powered iHome which we know is coming \
  • Reply 32 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by Duckspeak

Lemme see if I can translate. HDR means, obviously, "hard drive," and AA stands for "amino acid." Me, I wasn't personally aware that biochemistry was extending into the data storage industry, but there it is, spelled out. ROP is RighteOus Points.

Everybody knows that PS stands for "post script," and Nalu Demo is the Cuban mathematician/poet who first coined this novel way of extending a letter beyond its logical stopping point. The next line I'm not sure about, but I think that a dev is some kind of personal grooming device, "path" is slang for "exfoliant," and NV40/G70 is a character from Star Wars.

The rest makes perfect sense given these interpretations.

Right on the money except ROPS stands for Roll Over Protection System. I know cause I just put one on my tractor
  • Reply 33 of 33
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Damn you ATI, hurry up and release better cards! I want to upgrade my G5 and i don't want to settle for the X800! I don't mind paying top dollar for the latest card, but $400 for an X800 is ridiculous! Arg!