Undelete / Data recovery programs

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Lets just say... I deleted some things during a cleaning up of my hard drive that I have no decided, I did not want to delete. I've been searching Apple's MaxOSX downloads page for a program to search for files that had been erased recently but all of them seem to only recover things from problematic hard drives.

Does anyone know of an app that can attempt to recover deleted files?

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by xlsupreme

Lets just say... I deleted some things during a cleaning up of my hard drive that I have no decided, I did not want to delete. I've been searching Apple's MaxOSX downloads page for a program to search for files that had been erased recently but all of them seem to only recover things from problematic hard drives.

Does anyone know of an app that can attempt to recover deleted files?

Thanks.

http://www.subrosasoft.com/OSXSoftwa...&products_id=1

I can't really comment on its effectiveness, but there is a free trial that will at least show you if the files are there (though not allow you to retrieve them until you pay).
  • Reply 2 of 6
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Data Rescue saved some of my files. I think it is the best for Mac OS X.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    rara Posts: 623member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

Data Rescue saved some of my files. I think it is the best for Mac OS X.

At this link, toward the bottom, it says you can download a demo that will let you scan your hard drive to see if it works, and if it does, you can buy it then.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Take note that if you intend to recover a deleted file, you want to save the demo to a DIFFERENT drive. Once it is overwritten, it is gone for good.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    thanks for the links

I'd tried some of those already I think, there was one program that made the kernel panic when it did a search. I got it figured out though, those files can be gone. However, I figure it would be good to have something like this around for anything in the future.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    My suggestion would be to go with SubRosa Soft's File Salvage (Sport73 has already linked). It is a bit messy and will require a bit more hunting for the data but it recovers data better than any other program I've seen. By contrast I found Data Rescue X did a pretty average job. Not sure what their new version is like though.

Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

Take note that if you intend to recover a deleted file, you want to save the demo to a DIFFERENT drive. Once it is overwritten, it is gone for good.

This actually isn't true. Overwritten data is quite easy to recover the first couple of times. There are reasons that secure deleters, and even OS X's disk utility, offer to overwrite some things in excess of 30 times.