Apple's Front Row media experience coming to iBook line

Comments

• Reply 61 of 126
    baygbmbaygbm Posts: 147member
    Quote:

Originally posted by josa92

NOTHING SAYS "I'M A BORING, UNINTERESTED BUSINESSMAN WHO LOVES MY POCKET PROTECTOR" THAN A SLIGHTLY TEXTURED, MATTE BLACK FINISH!

That would make sense, except most business men don't have ibooks; they have Powerbooks. ibooks are used by students and consumers on a buget.
  • Reply 62 of 126
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Project2501

Making a black iBook would be to most stupid thing to do, whose gona notice that? Apple is all about thinking different. Opening Mac notebook in a crowd should be a statement, that white/aluminium notebook in middle of those dull black(gray) notebooks.

Quote:

Originally posted by josa92

NOTHING SAYS "I'M A BORING, UNINTERESTED BUSINESSMAN WHO LOVES MY POCKET PROTECTOR" THAN A SLIGHTLY TEXTURED, MATTE BLACK FINISH!

Nothing tells others that Mac fans are overly image obsessed (as in "look at me! I have an Apple product!") than posts like these. It may be surprising, but when I get out, I don't want to advertise that I have expensive stuff on me. For example, the current #1 way to reduce the risk of a mugging is to throw away those white iPod earbuds and use something else.
  • Reply 63 of 126
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    I should have made clear that black, slightly textured matte finishes are not about black plastic.

Black plastic is a toaster. Black plastic is a Dell. Black plastic is Apple, circa 20th century.

No, what I want is something like anodized brushed aluminum. Sleek. Apple.

Aluminum power book form factor + black, slightly textured matte finish = teh sex.
  • Reply 64 of 126
    Quote:

Originally posted by pyriX

iPhoto = Picasa 2 (Google)

iMovie = Not worth it, get Final Cut you cheap bastards. No equivelent of FINAL CUT in PC world though.

Garageband = No equivelant in PC world

iDVD = VLC, Windows Media Player, RealOne, PowerDVD

iWeb = Macromedia Suite - you think apple's web designers seriously use iWeb? Get real.

3/5 isn't too bad, is it now?

You actually think iWeb is AIMED at professional web designers ???

I've only got to play around with it for a few minutes, but iWeb is GREAT for most of us "consumer" level Mac users. What took me many hours over several days to figure out using DW, I managed to replicate in iWeb in a matter of minutes.

...and Nero et al don't even come CLOSE to gracefully doing the tasks that iMovie/iDVD do...

That combination is aimed at folks like myself that just want to make a presentable record of family video. Even Final Cut Express is WAY more than most of us want to learn.

INTEGRATION and SIMPLICITY are the keys that make iLife so unique.
  • Reply 65 of 126
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gar

-core duo

-backlit keyboard with ambient light sensors

-128mb ati mobility radeon x1600 with dual link dvi support

i'll be in

one more thing:

1 version instead of 2, because what would you ad for another $300?

256mb gpu and 1.83Ghz core duo?

that would steal the thunder of the 15.4" mbp

maybe if they would be priced like this $ 1,599/$1,999 ?

but i doubt that.

it requires a meron to justify such a price tag.

[edit] it's a merom

i know...typo [/edit]

Dual Link DVI???, not possible, Good Graphic card with DVI Out (with mirroring/spanning) Yes.

it will be lower grade graphic card compare to MacBook Pro, 256 VRAM, i do not think happening also, 128 MB/64 MB possible
  • Reply 66 of 126
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    in terms of CPU, my guess

new normal

13" MacBook - 1.67 Ghz Solo

13" MacBook - 1.67 Ghz Duo

Pro lineup

13" MacBook Pro - 1.67 Ghz Core Duo

15" MacBook Pro - 1.83 Ghz Core Duo

17" MacBook Pro - 2.00 Ghz Core Duo

kinda surprised 15" offered in two versions, we might see only one version of 15" when 13" and 17" released

or

are we going to see two versions for each one of the size? then for 13" we got four different specs...

MacBook CPUs will be cynically (oops) Cyclically refreshed when Pro lines goes to new CPUs...

i think we will see 13" Pro (that Alu Casing gives kinda of pro look, is n't it?, with Dual link DVI where as iBooks only DVI out)
  • Reply 67 of 126
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aegisdesign

It's not a CDRW, it's a combo drive. DVD-R + CDRW.

DVD-ROM, not DVD-R.
  • Reply 68 of 126
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pyriX

No equivelent of FINAL CUT in PC world though.

Really? Not even Avid, the industry standard?
  • Reply 69 of 126
    Quote:

Originally posted by wilco

Really? Not even Avid, the industry standard?

Avid is typically geared towards the very high-end, i.e. the people who can drop $100K or more on an editing setup and not even blink. Final Cut can be used for some of these tasks, but it's really more for "middling" professionals from what I understand: the ones who have to do serious work, but still have to use relatively down-to-earth hardware.
  • Reply 70 of 126
    Quote:

Originally posted by Commodus

Avid is typically geared towards the very high-end, i.e. the people who can drop $100K or more on an editing setup and not even blink. Final Cut can be used for some of these tasks, but it's really more for "middling" professionals from what I understand: the ones who have to do serious work, but still have to use relatively down-to-earth hardware.

Avid isn't exclusive to the very high end, and have not been for several years, they had an express or lite version going for somewhere in the $1k to $1.5k range I think. More recently, they've also bought entries into the consumer market too. There are versions of Avid that are fairly price competitive with Final Cut, and they now own Pinnacle Studio and Liquid. While I had some difficulties with Pinnacle Studio, for me it was better than that of iMovie, its competition in the low end.
  • Reply 71 of 126
    pyrixpyrix Posts: 264member
    Quote:

Originally posted by KingOfSomewhereHot

You actually think iWeb is AIMED at professional web designers ???

I've only got to play around with it for a few minutes, but iWeb is GREAT for most of us "consumer" level Mac users. What took me many hours over several days to figure out using DW, I managed to replicate in iWeb in a matter of minutes.

...and Nero et al don't even come CLOSE to gracefully doing the tasks that iMovie/iDVD do...

That combination is aimed at folks like myself that just want to make a presentable record of family video. Even Final Cut Express is WAY more than most of us want to learn.

INTEGRATION and SIMPLICITY are the keys that make iLife so unique.

No, I dont believe iWeb is aimed at proffesional web designers, but as Apples ONLY web development program, how else am I supposed to compare it?

The purpose of iWeb is to make annoying purposeless sites that litter the web.

I wasn't talking about grace. I was talking about a usable replacement. Nero is a usable replacement, otherwise they would be broke.

EDIT: After using final cut, i wouldnt go back. Never used Avid, but have used several others, and Avid is way too expensive.
  • Reply 72 of 126
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

Of course, eventually, there will be a legitimate "media center appliance" that just plugs into your TV (Mac mini reloaded).

I'd like an "Appleized" EyeHome, with DRM and H.264 support that the current model lacks.
  • Reply 73 of 126
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

DVD-ROM, not DVD-R.

Sorry, yes, I meant R as in Read.

Isn't it peculiar that we indicate writable media with an R and rewriteable media with a W.

• Reply 74 of 126
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    Quote:

I

Apple do seem to have settled on a design signature and aren't taking the risks they took with the multi-coloured iMac, original iBook and G3. I like the forms they have now but perhaps some special editions would be nice.

they dont need to change the design because its perfect but they do need to offer a wider range of options

macbook nano- sub notebook style, black or white finish

macbook 13inch widescreen, black or white

skip the dumb 14 inch and the 15 inch jumps to the pro line offered in the regular color and a slightly darker macbook as it looks on apples page

so we end up with

macbook nano-$999

macbook 13inch- 1499

macbook pro-1999

macbook pro-2499

we're all happy
  • Reply 75 of 126
    Quote:

Sorry, yes, I meant R as in Read.

Isn't it peculiar that we indicate writable media with an R and rewriteable media with a W.

here in belgium the R means recordable. rewriteable media is indicated as RW.
  • Reply 76 of 126
    Sub-notebook anyone?

I'm still enamored by the thought of a Powerbook line with greater breadth than the current lineup, such as:

10.4", 1024x640

1.67 GHz Solo Core

512 MB RAM

5400 RPM serial ATA HD, 80 GB

Superdrive, hobbled.

ATI Mobility Radeon X1600, dual link DVI, 128MB of GDDR3

Video Output: DVI, VGA, S-Video

15.4", 1440x900

1.67-1.83 GHz Duo Core

512 MB RAM

5400 RPM serial ATA HD, 80-120 GB

Superdrive, hobbled.

ATI Mobility Radeon X1600, dual link DVI, 128-256MB of GDDR3

20.1", 1680 x 1050

2.17 GHz Duo Core

1 GB MB RAM

7200 RPM serial ATA HD, 120 GB

Superdrive, full on specs and performance.

ATI Mobility Radeon X1600, dual link DVI, 512MB of GDDR3

Audio Output: Dolby 7.1 Surround sound, optical digital output.

Dual 60-watt-hour lithium-polymer battery bays.

20" laptop displays are already looking for homes in good laptops, from manufacturers like LG Philips and a 19" display with the same 1680 x 1050 resolution from Samsung. Why would anyone want such a dinosaur of laptop? It's a portable desktop, for one, and secondly, there are times when such a huge laptop would be a great blessing on the road, for example in shooting and editing movies in the field and other work that benefits from humongous screen real estate. Battery life is a concern, but of course with such a large shell there is ample room for multiple batteries, and for use as a portable desktop battery life wouldn't be much of a concern.

As for the other end of the scale - who wouldn't want a tiny sub-notebook for giving presentations? It would have the full gamut of video ports for quick and easy connectivity, and as for usability, it really wouldn't be much smaller than the current 12" laptop - except when being transported. Make it a widescreen 10" sub-notebook, and there's plenty of room for a full-sized keyboard along with all the needed internals. Such miniaturization would no doubt be an engineering challenge, but if anyone is up to the task it's Apple. And how cool would it be to have a full powered laptop that is so tiny, but can give as good a presentation as any other? Of course it would have the necessary video chipset to drive at least a 20" Cinema display while plugged in at a desk, for real work or play.

As for design - they're already pretty damn close to perfect. A tweak here, a refinement there, and new models should be ready.

Colors? Black sounds totally bad ass, until you think about it scratching off. If Apple could anodize the colors onto the aluminum Macbook Pros in a way that wouldn't scratch, and would wear gracefully, then I say go for it. Black would be nice, along with an ocean blue and a rose/blood red. But this is all superficial to the real meat of the package.

Ahh, well that's enough brain farting for one night. Hope it sounds good tomorrow when I'm awake.
  • Reply 77 of 126
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Elixir

[snip]

macbook nano-$999

macbook 13inch- 1499

macbook pro-1999

macbook pro-2499

we're all happy

if there will be a subnotebook from apple it will have a reasonable subnotebook price: $1,999 and up
  • Reply 78 of 126
    Quote:

Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg

Colors? Black sounds totally bad ass, until you think about it scratching off. If Apple could anodize the colors onto the aluminum Macbook Pros in a way that wouldn't scratch, and would wear gracefully, then I say go for it. Black would be nice, along with an ocean blue and a rose/blood red. But this is all superficial to the real meat of the package.

They need to talk to whoever does the anodizing on Maverick mountain bikes. You can rub coins up and down the frame and it doesn't scratch.

http://www.maverickamerican.com/
  • Reply 79 of 126
    Quote:

Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg

To reiterate or support what aegisdesign said, if they use the hard anodize process, then it would be extremely scratch resistant. I think they already use it on the powerbooks and any Mac with exposed aluminum, except part way in the process, color could be added. The people that owned iPod minis generally said that the coating was practically indestructible.

The nice thing about the process is that it isn't just a surface coating, the coloring does penetrate the surface a bit. A scratch doesn't mean you'll be hitting bare metal. If the surface does scratch somehow, a bit of sand paper with a skilled hand could smooth out the surface to like new.
  • Reply 80 of 126
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

Hooray! I get to control a 13" screen from 30' away!

You probably will be able to hook the laptop to a television, play a DVD, close the laptop lid, and have a remote control.

Quote:

11.3 inch sub notebook

Subnotebooks seem to the be the rage mostly in Asia. In Ameria we really want the bigger laptops.

Apple can only release and support a product if its going to move units. I don't think subnotebooks are a big enough market in the US for Apple to get into them.

Quote:

Not even Avid, the industry standard?

No Avid and FCP do not really compete in the same market. Avid is a very hardware heavy system. While FCP is a software centric system.

Avid does make software centric systems but they are not made to scale from DV to HD the way FCP is able to.