MacBook Pro 20"?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
A freind of mine claims that a freind of his is the son of the CEO of Apple Australia. The son claims that there is an apple notebook with a 20" screen in the pipeline. While this I took with a little more than a pinch of salt, it raised some interesting questions:

If True:

How heavy would this thing be?

WOuld the screen need reinforcement so it didnt flex a tremedous amount?

Would it sell???

Anyways, just thought i'd get some people's opinions.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pyriX

A freind of mine claims that a freind of his is the son of the CEO of Apple Australia. The son claims that there is an apple notebook with a 20" screen in the pipeline. While this I took with a little more than a pinch of salt, it raised some interesting questions:

If True:

How heavy would this thing be?

WOuld the screen need reinforcement so it didnt flex a tremedous amount?

Would it sell???

Anyways, just thought i'd get some people's opinions.

Well, if anything, we should all be learning 'never say never' when it comes to what Apple might pull out of the hat next...

With that said, if a 20" 'laptop' ever came to be, it would probably be about the size of a 20" iMac, minus the 'bulge' in the back & the 'chin' on the bottom...

For graphics folk, wouldn't be any less bulky than lugging a medium-sized portfolio around...
  • Reply 2 of 18
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacRonin

For graphics folk, wouldn't be any less bulky than lugging a medium-sized portfolio around...

or an iMac 20"
  • Reply 3 of 18
    I just posted on this here.. I know at least two manufacturers are already fabbing such displays, both with 1680 x 1050 native resolution: LG Philips has a 20 incher and a 19" display with the same 1680 x 1050 resolution is being made by Samsung.

I would love to see Apple do this. It could be a portable desktop, and it would also probably have room for two battery bays, so battery life might be ok. For some things, like filming and editing on location, such a laptop would be indispensable. That's why I believe Apple will be the first to make the leap.

Still, there would be many drawbacks to such a beast. Battery life, portability, and weight. Imagine how stiff that shell would need to be to resist flexing when opening and closing the lid. No way could Apple make it "one inch thin." Well, if they do, I'll suck my own dick, that's for sure.

Edit:

On further thought, the current 20" iMac could be thought of as practice for building a 20" laptop. All the design motifes are there; Intel's chips are lower power and cooler, so that hurdle is gone, and with added miniaturization that Apple is already so experienced with, the iMac is almost there.

It's not WILL there be a 20" laptop, but WHEN will one arrive, and WHAT company will produce it? Does Apple want to be left out again?

• Reply 4 of 18
    pyrixpyrix Posts: 264member
    The thought I just had is that a lot of people are complaining that Front Row would be great if it had a bigger screen. What better way to get a bigger screen than to make it battery powered. If you are just lugging it to your car and back, whats the problem?

Perhaps they could sell trolleys for it though, to stop chronic back pain lawsuits.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Insanety.

20 inch Powerbooks and 30 inch iMacs?

*Shakes head*

Why not just go for a 15 inch PB and then buy a 20 inch monitor on the side?
  • Reply 6 of 18
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    half the size of iMac 20", will be nice

but the twice the price of iMac 20" ??? $3500 ???
  • Reply 7 of 18
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Insanety.

20 inch Powerbooks and 30 inch iMacs?

*Shakes head*

Why not just go for a 15 inch PB and then buy a 20 inch monitor on the side?

if the new 12" MacBook got GOOD graphic card, we can add any monitor we want (20", 23", 30")
  • Reply 8 of 18
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gar

or an iMac 20"

Except the iMac has the added bulk of the stand & the keyboard/mouse...

Plus, the iMac does NOT have a battery pack for off-the-grid computing...

But I say we take this concept one step further, and make it a 20" MacPad Pro!

Think of it as a portable Cintiq, with the computer built in...
  • Reply 9 of 18
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shanmugam

if the new 12" MacBook got GOOD graphic card, we can add any monitor we want (20", 23", 30")

Right on!
  • Reply 10 of 18
    I'd buy a 20" MBP in a minute. Seriously.

I am a web dev and routinely work in multiple offices, back and forth between home and work. I need all the space I can get, battery life is not important (I plugin on both sides).

This type of machine would be pure heaven for me. I already have a 60lb backpack ( http://www.booqbags.com/Detail.bok?no=445 ) that I carry a complete office with a 17" PB and Sony Vaio plus everything else I could possibly need (usually cables, cords, software, blank DVDs, my Digital Rebel and two lenses, etc...)

I would be the perfect candidate for a machine like this... I could ditch the Vaio, dual boot the MBP and have even more screen real estate with less weight overall in my backpack! Awesome. Please Apple, Please!!!

• Reply 11 of 18
    Hmm, I'm thinkin there will be issues with battery life if this were true...
  • Reply 12 of 18
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Wouldn't they just use a larger battery?

I can imagine four years ago all of these same arguements being made about a 17" PowerBook.

17 inches that's not possible.

But hey technology moves on.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

but the twice the price of iMac 20" ??? $3500 ???

Not unheard of.

Dell has a single core Pentium M 17" laptop for $3700.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by TenoBell

Wouldn't they just use a larger battery?

I can imagine four years ago all of these same arguements being made about a 17" PowerBook.

17 inches that's not possible.

But hey technology moves on.

I see your point, but I think it'll take a bit longer to develop a source of power that is relatively the same size as current batteries that are also cost effective. I'm sure there is something out there but it's going to cost a pretty penny.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    Quote:

Originally posted by StarkWeather

I see your point, but I think it'll take a bit longer to develop a source of power that is relatively the same size as current batteries that are also cost effective. I'm sure there is something out there but it's going to cost a pretty penny.

I'm thinking radio-active battery packs, kinda like miniature power plants. You change them once every year or so.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    mellomello Posts: 555member
    I'd have no problem purchasing a 20" powerbook. I currently have the

17-incher & there are times that I had more screen realestate. I

always plug-in at home & at clients homes. I've taken my powerbook

on flights with no problems with it being large. Things that I'd like to

see:

- Dualcore minimum (quadcore would be the dream - processers can be shut-off while working off of the battery)

- Fullsize keyboard (I'm not a fan of the function key)

- Space for 4gigs of ram.

- Weight under 10 lb.

- New technologies (OLED, radical new battery - fuel cell maybe)

- $3499-$3599 approx.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    mello,

I tried adding that to my cart.. but it would not take.

• Reply 18 of 18
    mellomello Posts: 555member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SCARECROW

mello,

I tried adding that to my cart.. but it would not take.

Try Control-Click.