Apple's Front Row media experience coming to iBook line

Comments

• Reply 81 of 126
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TenoBell

]You probably will be able to hook the laptop to a television, play a DVD, close the laptop lid, and have a remote control....

No doubt, but it seems like a waste of a good laptop, and necessitates a lot of cabling and uncabling (unless you want to use a laptop as a dedicated media device, which, I'm thinking, you don't.

I think Apple is just sort of putting Front Row out there in a sort of "why not" mood until they release a revised Intel mini, at which point it makes sense.
  • Reply 82 of 126
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

No doubt, but it seems like a waste of a good laptop, and necessitates a lot of cabling and uncabling (unless you want to use a laptop as a dedicated media device, which, I'm thinking, you don't.

Well...no, of course not...but, say you're on the road...in a hotel. Some such things as that. And...

Quote:

I think Apple is just sort of putting Front Row out there in a sort of "why not" mood until they release a revised Intel mini, at which point it makes sense.

Yes...this too.
  • Reply 83 of 126
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Hooray! I get to control a 13" screen from 30' away!

Do you ever really sit anywhere that far away from your TV? Are you somehow ignoring the possiblility of running a presentation with this sort of system? If the remote is allowed to hook into Keynote, then that would be almost indispensible to road warriors that do presentations using their laptop and the installed projection system.

Quote:

No doubt, but it seems like a waste of a good laptop, and necessitates a lot of cabling and uncabling.

Hooking up two connectors is such a hardship to a Mac fan, and thus a reason to leave the feature off such as to prevent a Mac user from ever getting into that conundrum.
  • Reply 84 of 126
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NordicMan

Yes, some manly colours. I would like to see black return. Also, I would like to see a deep navy blue, or a deep grey in a Mac.

There must be a black Mac coming along some time here.

British racing green? Royal Purple?
  • Reply 85 of 126
    What I am hoping for is an iBook/MacBook with a 15" screen. It would look stupid with the current iBook design though - even the 14" looks a bit awkward - but many people want a larger screen, but aren't willing to pay $2000 for a laptop.
  • Reply 86 of 126
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cubit

British racing green? Royal Purple?

• Reply 87 of 126
    Quote:

Subnotebooks seem to the be the rage mostly in Asia. In Ameria we really want the bigger laptops.

Apple can only release and support a product if its going to move units. I don't think subnotebooks are a big enough market in the US for Apple to get into them.

I could use a good subnotebook of 13.3" size.

An 11" would make for a better video viewing experience than an iPod, as well as much easier to input on than my Palm T3.

But you are right, here in North America, we like a larger size. 13.3" is good for a smaller notebook, and provides for more enjoyable keyboard input.
  • Reply 88 of 126
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

Do you ever really sit anywhere that far away from your TV?

No, but per my subsequent post I don't particularly want to tie up my laptop as a media controller, either.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with throwing Front Row in with the iBooks, just that the software seems far more suited to Mini type installations, which I am sure are coming.

Quote:

Are you somehow ignoring the possiblility of running a presentation with this sort of system? If the remote is allowed to hook into Keynote, then that would be almost indispensible to road warriors that do presentations using their laptop and the installed projection system.

Well, except Front Row doesn't hook into Keynote, and there are any number of simple USB remotes that do.

As it stands, Front Row doesn't appear to be geared to mobile presenters

Quote:

Hooking up two connectors is such a hardship to a Mac fan, and thus a reason to leave the feature off such as to prevent a Mac user from ever getting into that conundrum.

Feeling a little cranky, there, Jeff? I'm just saying something like Front Row is an awkward fit on something like an iBook, partially given the design and probable utilization of each, but mostly because it hasn't shipped yet in it's natural habitat of a dedicated media box.
  • Reply 89 of 126
    I don't understand why everyone is focussing in on watching movies via Front Row. There's 4 icons in Front Row. The most used one for me is the 'Music' icon. It doesn't matter what your screen size is to shuffle to the next track or change the volume.
  • Reply 90 of 126
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:

No Avid and FCP do not really compete in the same market.

• Reply 91 of 126
    Quote:

Originally posted by buckeye

Yeah, I think that is exactly right. A lot of people throw their iBooks around because that plastic is so durable, but as soon as it starts looking like the black Nanos look, say goodbye black iBook. Had it not been for all teh Nano complaints, I'm sure they would do it.

I never quite understand people, who pay a lot

of money for an entertainment device, and who do not

pay attention to that device. This is beyond me.

Any given surface is vulnerable, of course.

Apple put a lot of effort into the design of

iBooks, iPods and such. Also they clearly

developed a masterpiece (iPod nano),

It is pretty unfair accuseing apple to ship

products, that scratch easily. In fact iPods/iBooks

do not scratch easily, this is a myth, that persists

for no good reason. You have deliberately throw

your iPod/iBook into glas, sand, dust etc., to gain

scratches.

just my 2 cents
  • Reply 92 of 126
    pyrixpyrix Posts: 264member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Vox Barbara

for no good reason. You have deliberately throw

scratches.

just my 2 cents

So essentially, the scratches on the back of BOTH of my freinds new Black nano's (2 and 4gb), both of which have had almost meticulous care taken of them, the scratches on the back and the front aren't really there, they are the product of man kinds collective imagination, and you are the sole bringer of truth and enlightenment?
  • Reply 93 of 126
    Quote:

Originally posted by pyriX

..., they are the product of man kinds collective imagination, and you are the sole bringer of truth and enlightenment?

Er... no. But i know a lot of people who are using

their iPod for dowseing too.
  • Reply 94 of 126
    Quote:

Subnotebooks seem to the be the rage mostly in Asia. In Ameria we really want the bigger laptops.

Apple can only release and support a product if its going to move units. I don't think subnotebooks are a big enough market in the US for Apple to get into them.

So you are saying there is a big market in Asia (population of about 3.7 billion), but because there isnt a big market in the US (about 260 million, roughly 7% that of Asia) they wont ship units.

Apple is a global company, which means it sells to other people apart from americans.

And why cant the range go from subnotebook to supernotebook.

Surely they arent mutally exclusive
  • Reply 95 of 126
    Quote:

Originally posted by Vox Barbara

for no good reason. You have throw

scratches.

I suggest you go to any popular and busy cellular store and look at any of the black Samsung phones.

And then go to an Apple store and look at the black Nanos.

You will be stunned that the phones still look new. While the Nano will look like the reps at the Apple store have let someone deliberately vandal it.

Futhermore, my 6 month old Samsung cell which doesn't have a case---I throw in and out of bags, carry in my pocket, drop ocasionally---looks pretty new still and its free of micoscopic scrathes; Seriously, its in better shape than my cared for Nano that I got for xmas.. go figure..
  • Reply 96 of 126
    Quote:

Originally posted by LGnome

My apologies for veering off topic, but I suggest you go to any popular and busy cellular store and look at any of the black Samsung phones.

And then go to an Apple store and look at the black Nanos.

You will be stunned that the phones still look new. While the Nano will look like the reps at the Apple store have let someone deliberately vandal it.

Futhermore, my 6 month old Samsung cell which doesn't have a case---I throw in and out of bags, carry in my pocket, drop ocasionally---looks pretty new still and its free of micoscopic scrathes; Seriously, its in better shape than my cared for Nano that I got for xmas.. go figure..

• Reply 97 of 126
    reganregan Posts: 474member
    This is what I've been waiting for ever since we were all waiting for the G5 powerbook.

I'm holding out for a new 13" intel ibook for sure. Not too much longer if you believe the rumors.

You'd think that Apple would have redesigned the macbookpro with such a major shift to intel. But when they didn't...it bummed me out to think that perhaps they'll just drop an intel into the same white ibook form factor.

The clamshell ibook lasted 2 years. The current ibook form factor has lasted 5 years. Thats a long time without a major change.

I know it'll be a 13" model(we assume)...but if apple doesn't change the look of the intel ibook besides that...at least they should offer it in either black or white. Like the ipods.

That would create the wow factor eveyone expects from a major apple release. They usually love to wow people with the aesthetic design as much as the functioning of it. So thats why I am puzzled apple didn't go all out to change the macbook pro.

I'm crossing my fingers about the intel ibook though.

No matter what...I'll get one. My current G3 ibook is showing its age. But still...heres to hoping.
  • Reply 98 of 126
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

a big market in Asia (population of about 3.7 billion), but because there isn't a big market in the US (about 260 million, roughly 7% that of Asia) they wont ship units.

Depends on how many out of 3.7 billion could afford or would choose to buy an Apple sub-notebook.

On one hand I can see your point if Apple saw a significant demand and potentially high profit for such a product they should offer it.

On the other hand Apple has not really gotten into dividing product lines and specifying products for certain markets.

Quote:

No, but per my subsequent post I don't particularly want to tie up my laptop as a media controller, either.

I certainly was not claiming anyone would buy an iBook to use it as their primary home DVD player.

But the ability to use it as a media center is just added functionality.

Quote:

If the remote is allowed to hook into Keynote, then that would be almost indispensible to road warriors that do presentations using their laptop and the installed projection system.

except Front Row doesn't hook into Keynote,

I don't think the IR sensor and Front Row are exclusively tied together. I would imagine the IR sensor is open for other uses.
  • Reply 99 of 126
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    It will be called IMACBOOK face it!
  • Reply 100 of 126
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    Quote:

Originally posted by regan

This is what I've been waiting for ever since we were all waiting for the G5 powerbook.

I'm holding out for a new 13" intel ibook for sure. Not too much longer if you believe the rumors.

You'd think that Apple would have redesigned the macbookpro with such a major shift to intel. But when they didn't...it bummed me out to think that perhaps they'll just drop an intel into the same white ibook form factor.

The clamshell ibook lasted 2 years. The current ibook form factor has lasted 5 years. Thats a long time without a major change.

I know it'll be a 13" model(we assume)...but if apple doesn't change the look of the intel ibook besides that...at least they should offer it in either black or white. Like the ipods.

That would create the wow factor eveyone expects from a major apple release. They usually love to wow people with the aesthetic design as much as the functioning of it. So thats why I am puzzled apple didn't go all out to change the macbook pro.

I'm crossing my fingers about the intel ibook though.

No matter what...I'll get one. My current G3 ibook is showing its age. But still...heres to hoping.

i dont think apple could do much different with the macbook pro's 15inch laptops.

the way it is now is perfect, even though they couldve offered a darker color along with the old one.

mark my words though the 13inch ibooks will have a change in aesthetic. specially since it will prob be widescreen i cant imagine them not changing it up a bit.

i also think they'll release it in two colors.