iPod for Kids

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
With cartoons being added to iTMS, the idea of giving your kid an iPod for roadtrips, or whatever, becomes a possibility.

But giving a two year old a $299 iPod is a recipe for destruction.

An iPod for kids would have to be tough as nails in every way.

The hard drive wouldn't survive very long being dropped...

The screen needs a thick protective layer over it somehow.

Rubber all the way around.

What do you think?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    jesus christ. let's have kids learn things instead of always being entertained.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

Anybody remember "I spy with my little eye..." or "The farmer in the dell..." or "There was a man who had a farm and BINGO was his name-o..."

Kids these days. Hell, PARENTS these days.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

Obviously you've never heard of Dora the Explorer. While being entertaining, Dora is bilingual. So, learning while being entertained, is the killer app for kids.

This isn't the Roadrunner smashing Wile E. Coyote stuff we grew up to.

I do agree that most cartoons are entertainment, but there are learning cartoons too.

For my generation, it was the counting pinball machine on Sesame Street. :-)
  • Reply 4 of 11
    I think Nintendo's got the kids covered with their 70-some million GBAs, 10+ million DSes and their GBA Videos.

Still wouldn't mind seeing an iPod geared for kids, but there are challenges to overcome.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    jcgjcg Posts: 777member
    I think the obviouse thing coming is a device to send video to a TV, all signs point to it. It even makes sense that Steve originally planned to anounce the Disney buyout of Pixar and new media additions to iTMS in San Fran as a lead in to such a device but the deal wasn't inked in time. Look for more to come soon on the iTMS/Video front.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    maniamania Posts: 104member
    so - I don't even have an ipod - but when i saw Dora was available on itunes - i thought maybe the wife will let me get one if i occasionally 'loan' it to the kiddo to watch dora - since we don't have cable.

hoping someday to have an ipod...
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by mania

so - I don't even have an ipod - but when i saw Dora was available on itunes - i thought maybe the wife will let me get one if i occasionally 'loan' it to the kiddo to watch dora - since we don't have cable.

hoping someday to have an ipod...

poor guy the wife really keeps u in check...lol im just messing wit ya. as good as this idea sounds they already have the videos from itunes on the gameboy and since evry kid has one there rele no need.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    I agree with the idea of a "kidPod". Two requirements: Under $50 price and some form of Parental Control/limiter on what the maximum volume setting can be. Need to protect those young ears.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    iPod junior?
  • Reply 10 of 11
    what about some sort of ePod? an extremely sturdy iPod marketed towards child and education markets. maybe 512 mb of flash memory in a unit about normal iPod sized, but built to be dropped. water resistance would be good too as to wash off sticky remanents of whatever. it could be made out of either out of the thick ibook plastic or maybe even a metal similar to the mini. to top it off, a simplified user interface that a four year old could learn. ie. on/off and next song (or cartoon)

the large size combined with the low storage capacity would definitally bring the price below $100, and $50 dollars is definitally a possiblity.

this product would be a godsend for most parents as kids can get quite transfixed by one song and will listen to it without end. with the ePod, the kid is happy and the parent doesn't have to listen to the bloody song 4 million times.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FormatC2

This isn't the Roadrunner smashing Wile E. Coyote stuff we grew up to...

Don't be knocking that Coyote, he taught a whole generation about persistence in the face of adversity.