DVI to ADC?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hello,

I just picked up my brand new dual-core 2 Ghz PowerMac G5 today, brought it home and realized that my old-style (bevel frame) 20 inch Cinema Display doesn't connect to the video card, not even with the included adapter. My old PowerMac did however (single 1.6 Ghz, Rev A).

Luckily I had an old VGA display which I'm using right now.

Do I need a DVI to ADC adapter?....and can I find one at Future Shop, Best Buy, or another computer shop, or does it have to be from Apple?

I'm kind of pissed off though. The guy at the store didn't mention anything, and it sucks that my 8 year old PC monitor works but my 3 year old Apple Cinema doesn't. What's up with that?

Thanks.

P.S. My new PowerMac is a lot faster!! ( -:

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Whoa Doggy! You're going to blow a fuse with this one...

ADC to DVI converters are simple and cheap. $25 on sale or $40 of not. Plug and play. Linky

DVI to ADC converters have a big'ol box. It is basically a signal converter and that costs a good $100. Linky
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Ok.

The first link doesn't work and the second one talks about having a G4 Powerbook or PowerMac and using it with a cinema display....which doesn't sound like my problem.

I have a brand new G5 dual-core machine with the GeForce Card and I want to run my old bevel framed 20 inch Cinema display.

So which do I need?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Ha! Outpost.com is down. Sux to be them! They should be back in a while though.

As for the DVI -> ADC, it doesn't matter what computer you are using (Powerbook, PowerMac, G4/G5) What you need to do is convert one standard plug into another. As long as your graphic card has DVI and your monitor has ADC this thingy will work. It gets a little "iffy" if you use CRT's (they use an analog version of ADC) but LCD's are all digital.

It looks to me you need the DVI -> ADC converter.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    anandanand Posts: 285member
    Yup, Ebby is right. You need to get the DVI to ADC converter. We have a bunch of ADC displays that are just sitting around, unused. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

DVI to ADC converters have a big'ol box. It is basically a signal converter and that costs a good $100.

It's not just basically a signal convertor. It also contains a power supply for the monitor. ADC connections previously got the power from your computer, but since you will now be connecting with DVI, it needs the new power supply. This is why a DVI->ADC costs more than a ADC->DVI.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Why the GPU industry didn't immediately jump on Apple's idea and make ADC the standard connector is an example of pure idiocy. What could possibly be the downside of combining USB, power, and video into a single cable? Cheaper, easier to use, etc.

Instead of continuing to put DVI on their cards, nVidia and ATI could just have put ADC and included a cheap ADC to DVI adapter in the box .... but NOOOOOOO... instead, they make special cards for Apple that include both connectors, and Apple has to beg and wheedle for new cards..

The monitor makers should have jumped on this too, to get their customers to upgrade their monitors sooner - new feature here, one cable folks, now's the time to get that bigger display...

You can bet that PC IT guys had a hand in this - not wanting to install all those adapters.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Thanks for the help guys. It Blows...But Thanks.