Lightscribe

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Am I the only one that would like to see a Lightscribe-like feature on the SuperDrives? Just "posting out loud" I guess :-P

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lust

Am I the only one that would like to see a Lightscribe-like feature on the SuperDrives? Just "posting out loud" I guess :-P

I personally prefer to use a CD-Stomper. I can came some really nice designs, and in color.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    ~ufo~~ufo~ Posts: 245member
    well, I have a lacie lightscribe.

it is pretty nice, I wouldn't mind getting my hands on a cd printer tho.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    why don't you just buy a printer that can print on CDs, i have one, it's truely amazing. the quality is better than that of the HP lightscribe, and no, the ink does not come off, even the way I treat my CDs. BTW, i have an epson stylus photo R220. the software that came with it makes it real easy to edit and print CDs
  • Reply 4 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by i-am-an-elf

why don't you just buy a printer that can print on CDs, i have one, it's truely amazing. the quality is better than that of the HP lightscribe, and no, the ink does not come off, even the way I treat my CDs. BTW, i have an epson stylus photo R220. the software that came with it makes it real easy to edit and print CDs

But most people don't want to spend the money on the new printer. That's why CD Stompers are so useful.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Quote:

can you print a photo on it and it will auto adjust for the shape??
  • Reply 6 of 18
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:

I find it pretty tough to get the image on the CD perfectly. If you know something I don't please share!
  • Reply 7 of 18
    This would be a totally awesome addition to any of the Mac family members...
  • Reply 8 of 18
    Dose the internal LaCie DVD/CD Lightscribe work with the mac ATA bus?
  • Reply 9 of 18
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I have an epson R320 printer and it should be capable of printing photo-quality images on supported CD-R Media, but I've never used this feature. I even purchased a spool of printable CD-Rs!

I have the same opinion of Lightscribe, in that I'd likely not use it. Although if a simple checkbox in the Finder, iTunes, or Toast could be used to burn the disc's title on the label side with minimal impact on burn time, I'd consider using it full time. But it has to be this easy and the CD blancs have to be cheap.

When I burn a bunch of discs and print inserts for jewel cases, I manually label the CDs with a Sharpie. I'm not wasting more time to print on each CD and I won't extend the burn time by more than 1 minute for Lightscribe.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    from what i understand with lightscribe you burn the disk then turn it over for the label to be burned it doen'st do both sides without removing it--but would be cool and an upgrade potential for HP
  • Reply 11 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by NOFEER

from what i understand with lightscribe you burn the disk then turn it over for the label to be burned it doen'st do both sides without removing it--but would be cool and an upgrade potential for HP

Flipping the disc is crap. At that point I might as well just bust out my Sharpie. It will get the disc labeled faster and problem free.

If you're professionally distributing burned materials however, Lightscribe may be the way to go. But really, I think you'd want professionally labeled CDRs too. I don't know the quality of ink-jetted CDRs as I haven't done one yet.

I don't know about you, but most CDs I burn are either one-offs to carry data around (which get thrown away quickly) or personal backups or whatnot which don't need fancy labels. I feel that unless Lightscribe is well executed it is a solution in search of a problem.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    it's nice if you are making dvd's or picture cd's especially for famliy then you can put one of the pictures as a label, but a sharpie is ......well quicker but less.....well sophisticated i'd like the option but slow doens't work for me either. too bad you didn't have to flip the disc over and could have two burning areas built into the unit
  • Reply 13 of 18
    For simple backups like burning my iPhoto 5 library to DVD before installing iPhoto 6 a Sharpie is all that is needed. Where Lightscribe comes in handy is when I burn iTunes playlists because I can burn the song titles, with their times, so I know what is on the disk. When I purchase songs from iTMS I put them in a playlist and when there are enough songs to fill a disk but if I buy a whole album then only those songs get burned to a disk.

The quality of images/text is amazing! After I digitized my 'Sacred Heart' album I went to google images to look for the album cover so I could print the CD inserts and I found images of the CD itself so I imported it into the Lightscribe app and burned it to onto the disk. The laser is so precise that the copyright information is as clear as a store bought CD.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:

Originally posted by troberts

For simple backups like burning my iPhoto 5 library to DVD before installing iPhoto 6 a Sharpie is all that is needed. Where Lightscribe comes in handy is when I burn iTunes playlists because I can burn the song titles, with their times, so I know what is on the disk. When I purchase songs from iTMS I put them in a playlist and when there are enough songs to fill a disk but if I buy a whole album then only those songs get burned to a disk.

The quality of images/text is amazing! After I digitized my 'Sacred Heart' album I went to google images to look for the album cover so I could print the CD inserts and I found images of the CD itself so I imported it into the Lightscribe app and burned it to onto the disk. The laser is so precise that the copyright information is as clear as a store bought CD.

But is it in colour?
  • Reply 15 of 18
    it's in black and white sort of, it's very cool looking but shades of grey and some luminescens (sp) but NO color(colour).
  • Reply 16 of 18
    Touching on my points earlier, I think Steve would agree that until Lightscribe labeling is a snap and you don't have to flip the disc over it won't be a standard Mac feature.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    After some consideration I realized the best part of Lightscript is that it doesn't require supplies like an inkjet or thermal CD printer. that's pretty cool in my book.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    I would greatly appreciate a lightscribe (so long as they can get it in the books too). This is one of the few great ideas that came from a PC maker other than Apple.