iMac shutting down when in sleep mode?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
My iMac G5 seems to shut down at some point when in sleep mode, and I have to unplug it and plug it back in to get it to turn back on. Just pressing the power button it reacts as though its not even plugged in. Is the some type of sleep plist or something I can check to see what the heck is going on? Better yet just do something to make it stop ! I'm afraid it has something to do with the electrical outlet so I have switched it to the lower one on the same plate, and got the same results. However I have a cordless phone plugged in to the other outlet on the same plate and have had no problems from it...HELP!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Haven't heard mention of this before, but thought I'd offer an alternative place to look while someone might respond here.

You may want to check Apple's Support site (discussions, especially) and search if others have this issue. I'm no expert, but could be power supply related? Or, have you accidentally loosened the power cord where it attaches to the back of the unit (long shot, I know)?

Anyway, welcome to the forums. Sorry it's for a problem.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Check your Enery Saver preferences as well - it may be shutting down due to a few hours inactivity. This doesn't explain the problems starting up however.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    At one point my iMac would regularly shut off while I was using it (i.e. not in sleep mode). A replacement power supply had me back up and running.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    kobyjanekobyjane Posts: 1member

the same thing has been happening with my imac, i know that its old ( 2.5 years), but this shouldn't be happening. i came home about three or four days ago and the fan was running on ultra high speed. the computer was in some type of stuper. when leaving for a long period of time i would put my computer to sleep, but my roommates come in and use my computer when ever they feel like it and they just let the screen saver kid in. well needless to say i shut the computer down and now everytime after that when it goes in to sleep mode and it turns into powersave mode it just turns off. a huge bummer because the computer has been amazing for 2,5 years.

I checked the temp its fine 57-66 degrees. could it be a hardware issue, a fail safe the kicked in because it got so high in the past, im not sure i just want my computer back to normal.