Apple may be planning red iPod to help fight AIDS

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Activist and rock singer Bono may soon partner with Apple Computer on a red-colored iPod to help promote a new project aimed at battling AIDS, according to reports.

The U2 frontman last week unveiled the project, dubbed Product Red, at the Davos World Economic Forum, as first reported by Macworld UK.

The charity hopes to raise money to help finance the fight against HIV/AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria in Africa by persuading the world's biggest companies to release special Product Red-branded goods, giving part of the profits to the fighting fund.

The news has sparked rumors that Bono may have applied a little leverage in his relationship with Apple chief executive Steve Jobs to persuade the Cupertino, Calif.-based iPod maker to release a Product Red-branded iPod.

The rumors first emerged when a note in the January 20th edition of the popular celebrity gossip newsletter, Popbitch, reported that the singer was overheard at Dublin's Michelin-starred Patrick Guilbaud restaurant "discussing a new charity red Am Ex card and red iPod."

Last week the rumors gained considerable momentum when Bono announced an initial list of corporations that have agreed to specially design merchandise for the cause, including Gap, Converse, Giorgio Armani and American Express.

True to rumors, the latter corporation announced a new, no-fee credit card in the UK called American Express RED3. For every pound spent on the card, American Express promises to donate a minimum of 1 percent to the Product Red charity.

"American Express RED will be the first credit card to meet payment needs of a new and growing group of individuals termed 'Conscience Consumers'," American Express said in a statement. "These are consumers who make decisions about the brands they purchase based on their social, ethical, and environmental values."

Apple has reportedly declined to comment on the "rumors and speculation" of a red iPod.

Meanwhile, AppleInsider continues to hear rumblings that the iPod maker is planning a special music event or announcement later this month to introduce new iPods and other music products suspiciously omitted from the company's opening keynote presentation at Macworld in January.

If Apple is indeed planning a Product Red-branded iPod, such an event would likely serve as an ideal launch-pad for the device.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    I thinka red iPod would be awesome.

It would very much inspire me to get a Fifth Gen iPod instead of waiting for the 6th Generation.

I am sure a red iPod would be real stylish and a new colour for the eye

(Still got a 40 GB 4th Gen which is more than enough really)
  • Reply 2 of 40
    Is it more scratch resistant?

Does it have longer battery life?

Does is reintroduce FireWire as a connection option?

Does it include an A/C Adapter?

No. Then, who cares. It's red. Big deal.

(Noble cause. Just have Apple donate to the charity.)
  • Reply 3 of 40
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    initiator- way to make a first impression.

i think it would be a great idea if apple got involved and released a special red ipod.
  • Reply 4 of 40
    cato988cato988 Posts: 307member
    Quote:

Originally posted by initiator

Is it more scratch resistant?

Does it have longer battery life?

Does is reintroduce FireWire as a connection option?

Does it include an A/C Adapter?

No. Then, who cares. It's red. Big deal.

(Noble cause. Just have Apple donate to the charity.)

If im not mistaken, i think the point of the Red iPod is to help fight AIDS. The iPod might not be different, but its for a good cause. I understand this, but maybe its because i have a heart:-)
  • Reply 5 of 40
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    The company that brings you a virus free OS now brings new awareness to fighting a deadly virus...!

good PR
  • Reply 6 of 40
    I apologize if I came off as insensitive. That wasn't my point. I'm all for good causes, and contrary to popular belief I do have a heart. We should raise money for AIDS charities. That's a good thing. My point was the hoopla over a change in the color of the iPod, seemed a bit much. I thought the same thing about the black iPod. I mean it's the same iPod, it's just a different color. That's all.
  • Reply 7 of 40
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    I think doing this would be a great for Apple's brand. Apple would be associated with Bono and U2. And with a good cause. And with a group of high-value brand names. And at what cost? 1% 5% 10% of revenue. Or maybe Apple will only sell it through its website and its own stores. Or even strike a deal with one retailer like Target and get Target to throw in some percentage.

Oh, and if someone wants to be seen as being for a good cause, carrying a red iPod would symbolize that. (Even if you just wanted a red iPod and couldn't care less about diseases and Africa, you'd take the good vibes.)

So it just seems like a win all-around.

And will we soon hear about a red Xbox 360?
  • Reply 8 of 40
    Definitely good PR... I didn't buy one, but when I was in the Apple Store the black-and-red U2 iPod was pretty striking. I wonder how they would make this one look--would the face be red and the click-wheel be black (or white)? Or would it be all red?
  • Reply 9 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

The company that brings you a virus free OS now brings new awareness to fighting a deadly virus...!

good PR

LOL. Seriously this is a great idea even though I'm not crazy for a red colored iPod at all.
  • Reply 10 of 40
    hey...um...red ipods don't really stop aids.
  • Reply 11 of 40
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    A great cause--and if it's a pure primary red, it would be a really cool looking 'Pod too!
  • Reply 12 of 40
    A red iPod could look awesome, it would be something different. i reckon the iPod nano will become the red iPod. Heres what i reckon it will/should look like.

• Reply 13 of 40
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    Fugly.

If they want to donate to AIDS charities, then give money from the Black iPod sales. They'll be way higher anyway.

The red looks hideous. I completely agree with initiator's original post. They ought to make the new iPod a compelling buy for people, THEN give the money to charity. Just throwing red dye into the plastic mix is hardly a way of saying "Hey, let's get serious about raising some money for this cause"
  • Reply 14 of 40
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rageous

Fugly.

If they want to donate to AIDS charities, then give money from the Black iPod sales. They'll be way higher anyway.

They could just donate money from all sales. That or just singling out an existing product doesn't help raise awareness of the issue.

Quote:

The red looks hideous. I completely agree with initiator's original post. They ought to make the new iPod a compelling buy for people, THEN give the money to charity. Just throwing red dye into the plastic mix is hardly a way of saying "Hey, let's get serious about raising some money for this cause"

Apparently, the iPod is already a compelling buy for people.
  • Reply 15 of 40
    ecsecs Posts: 307member
    I'm sorry, but I believe this is a bad idea. First of all, you don't know where is your money going: I visited the official "red product" website, and it's still empty, without any real details about how they plan to help fight AIDS (oh yes, they have a "facts" page, but if that's the facts, I prefer to donate the money myself, to programs with proper information and a detailed strategy).

This policy of "we're a rich company but we've a good heart because we donate 1% of the ugliest iPod we released and we join U2 for being so kewl", is just stupid, and it should damage the image of Apple rather than improving it.

But given that most of the people looks pleased about the idea... it seems I'm alone here.
  • Reply 16 of 40
    Hmmm... what do you want to bet that Apple is buying some add time for this years superbowl?
  • Reply 17 of 40
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sockit2me

Hmmm... what do you want to bet that Apple is buying some add time for this years superbowl?

Wouldn't that be a great way of stealthy introduction of a new product. Out of the blue like a bolt of lightning is the i****!

It would get all of the media attention even if it isn't the red ipod!

It would be all over the news and would be BAM right in the middle of America's living room!
  • Reply 18 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

Wouldn't that be a great way of stealthy introduction of a new product. Out of the blue like a bolt of lightning is the i****!

It would get all of the media attention even if it isn't the red ipod!

It would be all over the news and would be BAM right in the middle of America's living room!

Especially if the announcment is geared towards the living room, yes?

Your entire target market will be watching. I've always thought that that was the real reason they held off on announcments at Macworld. They knew it wouldn't be ready until after the superbowl and they knew they'd be able to drum up a ton of publicity if they announce a brand new platform, a la 1984.

The iRemote. The thing you pick up when you put your iPod down. It's coming.
  • Reply 19 of 40
    How many days before a special event does Apple send out the invitations to the Media??
  • Reply 20 of 40
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThinkDifferent

How many days before a special event does Apple send out the invitations to the Media??

I think it's been somewhere around 6-8 business days.