Tablet to enter one of Apple's four computer quadrants

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Remember the 4 quadrants for Apple's computers: consumer desktop, consumer laptop, pro desktop, pro laptop. If the new "consumer" laptop moves into the pro laptop quadrant as a lesser model (MacBook Express), that leaves a quadrant open for a... a... what? MacTablet?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    What are you talking about? The quadrants disappeared when Mac mini came on the scene. If anything, we'll see everything even out again:

Pro desktop -> Consumer desktop -> Small desktop

Pro portable -> Consumer portable -> Small portable
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Wow! You're right! I TOTALLY forgot about the mini. Duh!!! I think your list is correct.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    the quadrant thing has been dead for years and it was never really a good indication of anything. i don't think apple makes decisions on products based on the assymetry of a keynote slide. i think the paring down on the product line was a result of trying to keep inventories under check. now that apple is back on sound footing i would expect the product line would branch out to maximize profits and penetration up to the limit of consumer confusion.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:

Originally posted by admactanium

the quadrant thing has been dead for years and it was never really a good indication of anything. i don't think apple makes decisions on products based on the assymetry of a keynote slide. i think the paring down on the product line was a result of trying to keep inventories under check. now that apple is back on sound footing i would expect the product line would branch out to maximize profits and penetration up to the limit of consumer confusion.

But Steve Loves Keynote? and suggests we use it for everything. I do my recipes in it all the time....
  • Reply 5 of 12
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cubit

But Steve Loves Keynote? and suggests we use it for everything. I do my recipes in it all the time....

I use it to wash behind my ears....
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

I use it to wash behind my ears....

It is also great in soups and on salads.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Gets my teeth a pearly white!!!

While it freshens my breath!!!!

• Reply 8 of 12
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    The quadrant approach was Steve's roadmap to improving Apple from the precipice of extinction which it was in when Steve took over. Thanks to the very successful iPod and the iMac, Apple has had to adapt its product strategy.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    It's a floor wax and a breath mint.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

It's a floor wax and a breath mint.

It's Mint Arse Wax...
  • Reply 11 of 12
    jousterjouster Posts: 460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by clonenode

Remember the 4 quadrants for Apple's computers: consumer desktop, consumer laptop, pro desktop, pro laptop. If the new "consumer" laptop moves into the pro laptop quadrant as a lesser model (MacBook Express), that leaves a quadrant open for a... a... what? MacTablet?

Well maybe. But it's not like they have to have four lines - quadrants - what you will.....

They could have as many as they want or as few.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Using Peabody's wayback machine....

I seem to remember that the whole point of the 'matrix' (and the empty boxes) was to show how Apple was going to move away from the mish-mash of product offerings it had be rolling out (prior to Steves return) and move to a much simpler more streamlined and basic hardware offering.

Only SPJ and the great reality distortion field can turn the statement "Apple is going to roll out much less in the way of hardware offerings from this point forward" into something people got excited about.

Dave