What do you think of a Black MacBook/ iBook?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Just cross-pimping some mockup I did. But in light of black iPod Nano, enjoy Black MacBook/ iBook. You like? hate? whatever?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    Looks pretty cool. I would loose the white keyboard and replace it with a black with white letters setup... But I don't think that Apple will be extending the black hardware theme to the Mac lineup unless they use it for an Anniversery model... Wouldn't that be Insanley Great...?
  • Reply 2 of 20
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Nice mockup.

Must not be glossy.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    Pretty nice, but make they keyboard, track-pad, ports, etc black as well.

If there is no Scratch-proof coating on this, it'll look terrible within a matter of minutes after removing it from the box.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    Looks good. I actually like the white keyboard although they tend to get dirty very easily. I suppose it'll scratch easily too, but for the few minutes where its not scratched yet, it'll look incredible.

Edit: Colorware already has black (and other color) iBooks. I wonder how those hold up. Anyone?

• Reply 5 of 20
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    nice nice, no white keyboard please ...

no glossy black also ...

is it possible to use white or black in Alu Case?
  • Reply 6 of 20
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mynamehere

Looks good. I actually like the white keyboard although they tend to get dirty very easily. I suppose it'll scratch easily too, but for the few minutes where its not scratched yet, it'll look incredible.

Edit: Colorware already has black (and other color) iBooks. I wonder how those hold up. Anyone?

yeah, i was working off the colorware mockups, they only have that picture for the black iBook. so i doctored some other colorware pictures to get the black iBook shots in my mockup.

thanks for the points everyone. black keys with white letters, hmmm...? maybe if i have time i'll try to give those a shot.

colorware actually has "X2 scratch resistant" coating now, yeah, i wonder how that is going....
  • Reply 7 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by shanmugam

nice nice, no white keyboard please ...

no glossy black also ...

is it possible to use white or black in Alu Case?

this was something i made earlier...

that was as close as i could get to "black brushed aluminium" \
  • Reply 8 of 20
    okay black with matte texture, black keyboard, black port panel

using flickr now so let me know if you can't see the picture

YOU HAPPY NOW ??!!!
  • Reply 9 of 20
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    i think as a special edition or option but the ibook color is almost "signiture" style and is a mac statement in itself. i can tell a pb or ibook a mile away, that kind of product recognition is very very important as mac moves ahead.

hey how about the logo changing color as you use it.now that would make a statement
  • Reply 10 of 20
    If the Apple logo on the back of the display changed color while you used it, PC users would have more ammo for the "You use it 'cause it's pretty" remarks.

Keep the logo backlit and white... Looks classy... If it's not broke....
  • Reply 11 of 20
    I like the laptop with glossy black and white keyboard.

Too bad that has to deal with fingerprints, especially when fingerprints are all over the laptop.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by opnsource

PC users would have more ammo for the "You use it 'cause it's pretty" remarks.

What's wrong with having a nice looking laptop anyway?

They're jealous, or just can' bear their awful looking laptop or what?
  • Reply 13 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by opnsource

If it's not broke....

was the ipod mini broke?

me thinks not

stu
  • Reply 14 of 20
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    someone can correct this if it is wrong, but i believe colorware is just doing a customizing mod that came out with the first ibooks. namely, once you get the clear acrylic shell off the exterior, you can then paint the interior of that shell any color you want and then remount it onto the laptop. so you're not even really painting the main components, just the interior of the clear shell. problem with this tactic is that it cuts down on the refracted light through the casing a lot, and the ibook loses much of its "sparkle" (for lack of a better word).
  • Reply 15 of 20
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Apple and only Apple will be able to pull off black. Hell, to a certain extent they did it with Lombard and Pismo back in the PowerBook's G3 hayday. I don't see the iBook as going black, where I do see that as something for the Pro line. I think the iBook will adopt a more two-tone aluminum & white look, that will match nicely with the iPod, iMac, and Mac mini, all of which have this color combination.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    nice, letter shd be white on the key board then it will look nice...
  • Reply 17 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by shanmugam

nice, letter shd be white on the key board then it will look nice...

yes, i think in my photoshop mockup the letters look a little bit grey not white.

sorry, i am too lazy now to make the letters in the mockup whiter..!

the letters whatever color will probably fade off after a while anyway -- anyone with an iBook will know what i am talking about....

the interesting thing discussing this is not only what colors and stuff people might like, but also the challenge in the product photography to display accurately(?) what it actually looks like... if one recalls, the iPod mini when it first came out looked not that good on the website, they looked much better in real life and actually holding the nice brushed metal and feeling the weight in your hand.

we really haven't got much feedback on people that have used colorwarepc.com -- i saw one in person several months ago but didn't examine the texture closely. anyway now colorwarepc.com has "x2 coating" -- i wonder how this holds up. the mac magazines should do a good review on this if they haven't already.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

okay black with matte texture, black keyboard, black port panel

using flickr now so let me know if you can't see the picture

YOU HAPPY NOW ??!!!

[burns] excellent [/burns]

Now you just need to tweak the highlights so that it's clear that this thing just soaks up light like a hole in the space/time fabric.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    I think Apple will only use a black keyboard when the power requirements of backlighting the keys is low-enough that the keyboard can be backlit all of the time. I think that would be the ultimate goal of all of their notebook products.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    Originally posted by addabox

....Now you just need to tweak the highlights so that it's clear that this thing just soaks up light like a hole in the space/time fabric.

that was the powerbook g5.

Steve Jobs in his later years writes his memoirs -- titled "i,Steve"

from Chapter 6 "The Enemy Within"

"We worked really really hard to get a g5 into a powerbook. But it consumed so much power and generated so much heat it opened a portal into another dimension. I was so pissed with IBM at the time but this incident was actually kinda cool. In the brief few seconds that the portal opened (the powerbook g5 subsequently melted into super-quantum-hot molten slag) I caught a glimpse of my future self giving a keynote talking about the switch to Intel. That's when i realized we had to Switch. And that acid flashbacks can be useful..."

from Chapter 12 "Ives - What Is He Good For"

"As I reflect on the heady years of the 00's (the 2000-2010 decade) I really start to wonder why everyone thought Jonathan Ives was so great. I mean, it was always I who came up with the real ideas (all except for the Cube - what the heck we were thinking?). Oh, and the iMac overheating - chalk that one up to Ives too..."

from Chapter 18 "Sim Wong Who?"

"I would say my proudest achievement around the turn of the century was the utter decimation of the company that had built its 10-year reputation on enabling audio for PCs. Creative's products were the de facto audio standard in the 90's. Yet when the iPod revolution hit its stride, if you asked any cool kid about 'Sound Blaster' they'd think it was some dinosaur rap group their parents used to listen to..."