When do I get my MacBlade Pro...?!? ;^p

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
When will this ever come to pass?

I want a decent Apple blade server, single dual-core CPU per blade fine with me for a start. Add an XRAID & a good sized tape library, throw in a few switches (one Gigabit Ethernet, the other Fibre Channel) and a few UPS units...

Split the gear between two of the 12U deskside racks with a slab of tempered glass on top, my new desk!

Now about those assorted thin clients...

And some tablets...

And, and...

[/rant]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacRonin

When will this ever come to pass?

I want a decent Apple blade server, single dual-core CPU per blade fine with me for a start. Add an XRAID & a good sized tape library, throw in a few switches (one Gigabit Ethernet, the other Fibre Channel) and a few UPS units...

Split the gear between two of the 12U deskside racks with a slab of tempered glass on top, my new desk!

Now about those assorted thin clients...

And some tablets...

And, and...

[/rant]

A Mac Blade Pro?? Apple is no longer with IBM so I think a Bade Pro may be out of reach.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

A Mac Blade Pro?? Apple is no longer with IBM so I think a Bade Pro may be out of reach.

do you think apple will keep working osx around an ibm powerpc or cell chip, like it did with the intel chip during the first development of osx?
  • Reply 3 of 14
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ARTisZing

do you think apple will keep working osx around an ibm powerpc or cell chip, like it did with the intel chip during the first development of osx?

Highly doubtful.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Quote:

Intel makes blades also...

Look pretty much the same like the ones from IBM...

So why would Apple choose not to make blades now?!?
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacRonin

Intel makes blades also...

Look pretty much the same like the ones from IBM...

So why would Apple choose not to make blades now?!?

Because those are still IBM blade servers with XEON processors. Intel doesn't make the blade server IBM does. And it's not going to happen. If it were Apple would have used G5 blades for the BIG MAC at Virginia Tech.

Quote:

Originally posted by ARTisZing

Apple will continue to develop OS X for PPC for a few years in updates, and probably even the next two, or three boxed OS X updates, but they will not continue to sell new hardware based on existing Mac products using a PPC for the CPU. Everything will be intel based.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Quote:

Because those are still IBM blade servers with XEON processors. Intel doesn't make the blade server IBM does. And it's not going to happen. If it were Apple would have used G5 blades for the BIG MAC at Virginia Tech.

Virginia Tech does use G5 XServes.

http://www.tcf.vt.edu/systemX.html

Apple will develop XServe blade servers for Intel. They will design the cases with Intel to maintain the current form factors. They will take advantage of those 1.33Ghz FSBs offered in the newest Intel Duo-Cores. I wouldn't be surprised if the new boards have fiber-raid cards on-board and satisfy the needs of the telcos like T-Mobile who passed on them because they didn't meet their deployment requirements.

They won't be dropping the prices of those servers either. That is one market they already play in at a highly competitive price point.

Xsan is churning right along and XRaid will continue to gain marketshare along with Xservers.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    zandroszandros Posts: 537member
    Does an Itanium2 fit in a server blade?
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by mdriftmeyer

Virginia Tech does use G5 XServes.

http://www.tcf.vt.edu/systemX.html

Apple will develop XServe blade servers for Intel. They will design the cases with Intel to maintain the current form factors. They will take advantage of those 1.33Ghz FSBs offered in the newest Intel Duo-Cores. I wouldn't be surprised if the new boards have fiber-raid cards on-board and satisfy the needs of the telcos like T-Mobile who passed on them because they didn't meet their deployment requirements.

They won't be dropping the prices of those servers either. That is one market they already play in at a highly competitive price point.

Xsan is churning right along and XRaid will continue to gain marketshare along with Xservers.

Duh!!!! What do you think I'm talking about? I know they use G5's, but not G5 blades. If they were going to make them they would have made them for Virtginia Tech when they had the chance.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Apple may not make Blades. They don't seem to be as keen at moving into the Enterprise as they were a few years back.

However:

If they did then I'd expect them to take advantage of their newfound Intel partnership. Intel's lower watt procs are a desirable feature for Blades. Apple's XSAN is another desired trait. While Blades can and do contain hard drives on the cards it may make more sense to boot the Blades off the SAN.

Thus your cooling becomes much easier because the drives are external and you're using Sossoman and Merom procs at the lowend and midrange.

Does Apple actually have a market to sell to? That's the Million dollar question. I think perhaps they should do as MacRonin suggests. Create the first Blade optimized for Creative Pros who want to run Final Cut Pro studio and other applications that can make use of Grid computing and render farms.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Apple may not make Blades. They don't seem to be as keen at moving into the Enterprise as they were a few years back.

However:

If they did then I'd expect them to take advantage of their newfound Intel partnership. Intel's lower watt procs are a desirable feature for Blades. Apple's XSAN is another desired trait. While Blades can and do contain hard drives on the cards it may make more sense to boot the Blades off the SAN.

Thus your cooling becomes much easier because the drives are external and you're using Sossoman and Merom procs at the lowend and midrange.

Does Apple actually have a market to sell to? That's the Million dollar question. I think perhaps they should do as MacRonin suggests. Create the first Blade optimized for Creative Pros who want to run Final Cut Pro studio and other applications that can make use of Grid computing and render farms.

That's what I am talking about, a BioScience Workgroup Cluster for the DCC crowd...

Minus the BioScience software, replace with Final Cut Studio & Shake...

Add some 3D tools, good to go...
  • Reply 11 of 14
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Why do these bioscience and creative people need blades instead of 1Us? I work on blades, but in this case I don't get it.

BTW, you can't put a BladeCenter in an office; everyone would go deaf. I imagine other blades are equally loud.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by wmf

Why do these bioscience and creative people need blades instead of 1Us? I work on blades, but in this case I don't get it.

BTW, you can't put a BladeCenter in an office; everyone would go deaf. I imagine other blades are equally loud.

That's why I want an Apple version of this:

With one of these:

In one of these acoustic-dampening cabinets:

Throw a tape library, maybe a DVD/CD library and a few switches in a matching cabinet a few feet or so to the left of the first...

Toss a sheet of glass over the top, maybe adjust for height; call it my new desk!
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Wow a true life billionare in here.

no seriously. Apple wouldn't do it just because you wanted one.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Quote:

Wow a true life billionare in here.

I wish...

Besides, I would get work to pay for it all...

Since that would be where it sat...

[Denzel in Training Day, paraphrased]

You're in the server room, baby!

[/Denzel in Training Day, paraphrased]