Lemon Powerbooks

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I cannot wait for my macboook pro to ship! I don't care what anyone says about revision A bugs. If the macbook (I prefer m-book) has more bugs than the late 05 powerbook I will shove that thing so far up...on the shelf I can see where people would say they want a powerbook because all the bugs have been worked out. WRONG. Let me detail for you:

The last revision powerbook has the most annoying defect of all time. The audio "loops" sometimes it happens once a day, sometimes three times an hour. This is NOT an isolated incident so far 964 other (late 05) owners have signed up saying they experience the same problem. Apple has done nothing so far and as far as I can tell I am the only person on AI to detail this problem. Check it out for yourself:

http://powerbookdefect.info/

Here is the original forum on Apple Discussions:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....02344&#1602344

Some of the 15 inch screens have lines in them that make them useless for graphic design, but that's old news. The echo makes them useless for audio work, um what is the benefit of "tried and true" again? I forget.

Bring on the m-book!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    It happens on my 17" PB (latest revision), too. Incredibly annoying.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    OK ... I get the audio looping every once in a while. The lines..I thought it was gonna bother me at first, but really they arent anything to be worried about, at least on my 15 inch powerbook, they arent noticible unless I look for them. The looping is annoying, but all in all, SOLID machine. I LOVE IT. My desktop is collecting drit b/c I used my laptop so much.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by sandilian

OK ... I get the audio looping every once in a while. The lines..I thought it was gonna bother me at first, but really they arent anything to be worried about, at least on my 15 inch powerbook, they arent noticible unless I look for them. The looping is annoying, but all in all, SOLID machine. I LOVE IT. My desktop is collecting drit b/c I used my laptop so much.

I love my powerbook. I have the 17 inch so I have not experienced the screen lines...the looping audio though? It drives me CRAZY! I am pointing out that all the people who say never buy rev. A because of the bugs are just plain wrong. I have heard no (hardware) complaints from people who picked up core duo iMacs. It gives me hope for my next Apple purchase...
  • Reply 4 of 9
    My 15 inch high rez powerbook has the audio looping problem, the lines in the screen, and the graphics card overheats and I start to get artifacts and a scorched lap, also the battery power degrades quickly, it's already almost down to an hour and a half, and I've already replaced the battery once. I have applecare and I've been meaning to take it into the nearest apple store but haven't had a chance, I'm very dissatisfied.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Not to mention the lower slot burning out in ALL 15" aluminum powerbooks... of course it hasn't happened to all.. but it has happened to me and thousands of others. I know of 2 law firms opening class action lawsuits against apple for this. Apple even admitted it with an extended repair program for the 05 powerbooks that witness the problem. Of course this doesn't cover mine . I can't wait for a mac book pro... but I need PS so I'll have to see how it "feels" first.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Wow... Now I'm glad I got my powerbook over a year ago. I haven't had anything that bad... The only real annoying bugs are software related.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    I got my 17" through the dev. program ... and since I'm doing audio programming I'm just about to kill someone. This weekend was the last straw. I'm going to call Apple dev. support this week and try to get them to take back the machine and replace it with a new intel 'book.

The 17" I have now is the 2nd ... replaced by Apple for a litany of problems including the audio looping.

Yeah, it's that bad. I'm willing to take the risk on a Rev. A machine.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Wow, I must have gotten lucky. I have the last PB G4 they made (15") and don't have any of these problems. No lines in the screen, no audio loop problems, and the battery life is amazing. I would be royally pissed too if I had any of these problems, this computer is way too expensive to have those kinds of problems. BTW, for those of you having battery problems, make sure you run the battery updater they released a little while ago. Coconut battery said I went from 75% capacity to 99% after, and I'm still at 97% (which is about 3 1/2 to 4 hours with wireless internet).
  • Reply 9 of 9
    The lines are there, look closely lol....but hey if u cant see them then who cares....ya, the battery update was awesome...and the new battery...amazing. I can run photoshop for some time before the battery dies....