What do you drive?

Comments

• Reply 41 of 89
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Frequent. Expensive. Frequently expensive.
  • Reply 42 of 89
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trick fall

How's the maintenance on those Volvos? I've hear some horror stories.

My 1995 850 turbo was the lowest maintenance vehicle that I have ever owned ($500/year - compared to the $2000/year that I was spending on my 1997 Dodge grand caravan).

1997-2001 were rough years for Volvo reliability, right after they were bought by Ford.

Now they have re-gained their old quality, but I would still avoid any 1st model year Volvo (like the new S80 that is just coming out, or the 2003 XC90).
  • Reply 43 of 89
    I drive a 100gig, 7200 RPM, Seagate ... the one with the 8MB cache... yeah.. that one.

It handles really nice and the ride is really quiet.

• Reply 44 of 89
    A single repair on the wife's XC70: the headlamp wiper seccumbed to ash (we live near an active volcano). $20 in three years isn't bad.
  • Reply 45 of 89
    a 2006 Chevy Equinox LT AWD. I get 19/24. Which is right on to its fuel economy estimates(18/23). Cost me $22 to fill with 1/4 left.
  • Reply 47 of 89
    Volvos?!

Wasn't there a survey recently that said that many iTunes users were VW/Audi owners?

Count me as a former Audi owner and current VW owner. Jetta Wagon 1.8 Turbo.

C'mon you VW/Audi lurkers--post!
  • Reply 48 of 89
    Those little Volvos should be more reliable, now that they're actually Mazdas:

http://cars.about.com/cs/familysedan...lvos40_tst.htm

Not much different from the little Saabs that are actually Subarus.
  • Reply 49 of 89
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bikertwin

Count me as a former Audi owner and current VW owner. Jetta Wagon 1.8 Turbo.

C'mon you VW/Audi lurkers--post!

Those new Audis are just sexy.
  • Reply 50 of 89
    Quote:

Volvo reliability has always been head and shoulders above Mazda - but the S40 is not a Mazda, any more than any other

shared platform vehicle (Jaguar/Lincoln, Lamborghini/VW, etc).
  • Reply 51 of 89
    Quote:

Originally posted by e1618978

Volvo reliability has always been head and shoulders above Mazda - but the S40 is not a Mazda, any more than any other

shared platform vehicle (Jaguar/Lincoln, Lamborghini/VW, etc).

Volvo is a mixed bag. Pre-ford Volvos will run forever, but their electronics will go to crap. This is typical of European cars of that era. With newer volvos, it seems to depend largely on the model.

Mazda gets a bad rep from all the rotary vehicles they make. The Mazda3/Euro Ford Focus/Volvo S40 is a very well made platform and has a good service record. Other Mazda models haven't been so lucky, but it's the price you pay since Mazdas are drive better than their equivalent Japanese counterparts.

If the rumored rally version of the Mazda3 existed when I was buying, there's a good chance I would have bought it. Instead, they came out with the Mazdaspeed6, which I think kind of misses the point.

The only cars I'm aware of, these days, that spend an inordinate amount of time in the shop are VWs.
  • Reply 52 of 89
    Quote:

Sheesh, you seem to make out that all Volvo's are Mazda's and all of Saab is Subaru. The 9-2x is the only Saab that is a Subaru. The 9-3x and 9-5x are totally independent from Subaru. The 9-7x if you couldn't tell is a Chevy Trailblazer, but it is pretty darn nice. The 9-3x is based off of the Epsilon platform that also underpins the Malibu, G6, and the upcoming Saturn Aura. The 9-5x is based off of a modified Opel platform.

EDIT: Also expect the 9-2x to be phased out due to GM selling its stock in Subaru.
  • Reply 53 of 89
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnJ

Those new Audis are just sexy.

I agree. I fell in love with the A8 W12 when I watched "Transporter 2" - but the guys on the audiworld page say that the transmission is crappy and unreliable. The new S8 with the Lamborghini V10 looks like it will avoid the problems - particularly next year with the DSG transmission.

I liked the old S6 avant better than the new A6 models, though.
  • Reply 54 of 89
    1988 Lincoln Mark VII.

When I first got in the driver's seat, it reminded me so much of my 1969 Mustang in terms of how the doors, quarter windows, even the rearview mirror felt. I was convinced a bunch of guys who drove Mustangs in the late '60s were hired by Ford to make a Lincoln sportscar and just designed a wind-tunnelled version of what they were familiar with.

Two weeks ago, it had its 600,000 km birthday (about 400,000 miles). My Location is North America, and I mean it!

When I put her out to pasture, I figure I'll get me one of those (now) new Mustangs used. Never owned a new car, never plan to.
  • Reply 55 of 89
    Quote:

Originally posted by e1618978

I agree. I fell in love with the A8 W12 . . .

The last (and only) Audi I ever felt something for was the olde RS2

Do you know where your turbo is?

• Reply 56 of 89
    Quote:

Originally posted by quagmire

Sheesh, you seem to make out that all Volvo's are Mazda's and all of Saab is Subaru. ... The 9-7x if you couldn't tell is a Chevy Trailblazer,

No, I just said the little ones.

And that 9-7x is sad, really:

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...0509_saab_97x/

I mean, it doesn't bother me at all that Audis, VWs, and Porsches are all based off the same platform. They're all German engineered. Sure, some are built in Mexico, but they all drive like sports cars/SUVs.

My wife has a Subaru. It does not drive anything like a VW. Her Subaru is very dependable, willing, & able, but it does not in any way resemble a European/German car in the way it handles.

But I guess it's like computers--some prefer Macs, others prefer Windows. Some don't really care, it's just a computer.
  • Reply 57 of 89
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

The last (and only) Audi I ever felt something for was the olde RS2

Do you know where your turbo is?

Very nice! Those wheels remind me of an old Audi site from the dot-com bubble. It was called SeansA4.com, or something like that. Beautiful Hibiscus red A4 with those same wheels.

Ahhhh, the good old days.
  • Reply 58 of 89
    I am a the proud owner of a 2004 VW Jetta TDI-40mpg at the pump (mixed highway/city driving). Could hypothetically run biodiesel, but I think I'll wait until that market stabilizes.

Never had any problems except a bad lock mechanism that screwed up within a week of my purchase. Oil changes are pretty expensive too-but a reliable car so far (40,000 miles already due to heavy traveling/commuting)
  • Reply 59 of 89
    I can do my part to up the VW numbers in here...

2004 Jetta 1.8t. I usually get around 22-24 mpg with mostly local driving. That goes up to around 27 when I throw in highway stuff. The car is theoretically supposed to get better mileage, but I'm guessing that actually putting the turbo engine to decent use brings the numbers down a bit.
  • Reply 60 of 89
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gizzmonic

I am a the proud owner of a 2004 VW Jetta TDI-40mpg at the pump (mixed highway/city driving). Could hypothetically run biodiesel, but I think I'll wait until that market stabilizes.

Never had any problems except a bad lock mechanism that screwed up within a week of my purchase. Oil changes are pretty expensive too-but a reliable car so far (40,000 miles already due to heavy traveling/commuting)

Look out when it hits 60k. The Jetta TDIs seem to have trouble around 60k, although these problems may have been solved by the 2004 model year. 99-01 definitely had the 60k bug.