What would you guys think of a gaming machine?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Alright. I have an Xbox360 and love the thing, but since I know Apple just always makes things better than Microsoft(except for Office ofcourse) It makes me wish that Apple was in the gaming business. And honestly it doesn't seem too farfetched, they are in the Music industry with iTunes and the iPod, they are in the Movie industry with Pixar, they are in the Computer industry with their Macs. Really the only entertainment industry they have yet to dwell in is the gaming one.

I was gonna post this on the Xbox forums but they are a bunch of MS fanboys, i figured i'd bring it here to people who truly understand Apple. So if Apple were to make a gaming system, what would you expect it to have, and would you buy it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    There is a prototype Apple is expected to release real soon now. Secret picture, SHHHHH>

• Reply 2 of 16
    Outsider....

*scolds*

Stop teasing the newbie!

• Reply 3 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by benjamin_r

Outsider....

*scolds*

Stop teasing the newbie!

lol. I may be new to the forums but I know enough about Apple to know that there is no way that is a real apple product.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Apple Imp

lol. I may be new to the forums but I know enough about Apple to know that there is no way that is a real apple product.

• Reply 5 of 16
    dcqdcq Posts: 349member
    Quote:

You're being toyed with by old farts like me who have ridden every wave with the Mac since 1984 (actually only 1985 for me). Check out "Apple Pippin" at wiki. Learn. (About hardships, could-have-beens, etc.)

In any case, the market is already too cutthroat for the three major players--everyone (ok, at least I do) expects Nintendo to tank with the Revolution. And in any case, you can't really call it true competition when all three players are using IBM chips that are simply variants. on top of that, all three competitors will eat hundreds of millions of dollars as they sell their consoles at a loss (hoping to make money off the game licenses). A huge risk. I'm still shocked Nintendo is going to try to muscle back into the game (particularly with a time-to-market disadvantage). Apple would be suicidal to compete head-on in this market.

Steve (and AAPL shareholders) are probably pretty happy selling tens of millions of iPods (and a computer to two every once in a while ) *at a profit.*
  • Reply 6 of 16
    pevepeve Posts: 518member
    the pippin was one in a long line of "apple-could-be's" - google and check them out! (some very cool and some very bad)

dcq:

i'm with you on that.

the game market is cruel.

m$ and sony (and maybe nintendo) are gambling pretty high to "dominate" the game hardware market to get cash though software sales.

i don't thing apple wants to (or can) compete.

edit: typo
  • Reply 7 of 16
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    yeah, for a while i think a lot of us were hoping for a sony-apple partnership in 2005. there was (still is) so much synergy, and steve jobs had the sony big cheese come on stage in january 2005. six months later that sony guy was fired (IIRC).

so for one thing apple is done with IBM. game over (excuse the pun). IBM is involved with XBOX360 and Cell in the PS3. i really don't think apple wants to work with IBM anywhere in the next five to ten years.

so the other thing is, yeah, market space. PC gaming is its own world and a unique market space that apple is traditionally unfamiliar with -- a market where zalman and nvidia and msi, asus can do very well, but beigebox manufacturers/assemblers struggle hopelessly.

so other than PC gaming, there is XBOX, Playstation and Nintendo. Well, that pretty much wraps it up.

Aspyr is the big Mac publisher for games. I think they are doing quite okay porting and publishing games for the Mac for people that have a decent system and like to have a bit of fun here and there. The game portfolio is limited though. In that way, Aspyr focuses on Fun instead of Latest and Greatest.

I'm sort of not sure I get the gaming scene nowadays -- so many titles, all so snazzy, you could really lose yourself in it..! i just enjoy StarWars:Battlefront2 , UT2004, and NFS:Most Wanted on my PC for the past few months.

i am considering 1 new game, maybe CIV4 or ... hmm...

played through Quake4 (not that great, impossibly hard at times) and HalfLife2 (totally rocked!)

not an RPG person but several months ago i played through StarWars:KnightsOfOldRepublic2 ... nice storyline.

well, i'm going to fire up ScummVM hopefully soon and do some walkthroughs of Secret of Monkey Island 1 and 2. They just don't make em like they used to
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Quote:

You just GOT to love newbies!!

• Reply 9 of 16
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Why this won't happen in two sentences

1) Apple makes money by selling machines for more than they cost to make.

2) Game machines are sold for less than they cost to make.

The end
  • Reply 10 of 16
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    I think that an Apple-Nintendo merger would be a great thing.

iPod gameboys. Mac OSX on the Revolution, which would act as the very lowest cost Mac. Nintendo games on all the higher end macs. iWork and iLife on the Revolution.

• Reply 11 of 16
    drnatdrnat Posts: 142member
    Quote:

Originally posted by e1618978

I think that an Apple-Nintendo merger would be a great thing.

iPod gameboys. Mac OSX on the Revolution, which would act as the very lowest cost Mac. Nintendo games on all the higher end macs. iWork and iLife on the Revolution.

But Nintendo tend to focus on the younger age range - would need games to run on the iMac. Most adults prefer XBox/PS2 games....

I wouldn't want iWork or iLife on a revolution but would like games on my Mac
  • Reply 12 of 16
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Originally posted by drnat

But Nintendo tend to focus on the younger age range - would need games to run on the iMac. Most adults prefer XBox/PS2 games....

Zelda, Resident Evil, Metroid, Madden NFl - there are plenty of games on the gamecube that appeal to adults.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    drnatdrnat Posts: 142member
    Quote:

Originally posted by e1618978

Zelda, Resident Evil, Metroid, Madden NFl - there are plenty of games on the gamecube that appeal to adults.

I did say tend to - ie in general.....
  • Reply 14 of 16
    resres Posts: 711member
    OT: Could someone shrink that picture? I'm using an iBook nowadays so I'm stuck at 1024 x 768 resolution and I really hate having to scroll sideways.

I don't think that apple could successfully enter the console market, it is just to cut throat. Now, what they could do, is improve gaming on the Mac by buying up one of the better gaming houses and having them write insanely great games for OS X. That is someing that I think they should have done years ago.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Res

OT: Could someone shrink that picture? I'm using an iBook nowadays so I'm stuck at 1024 x 768 resolution and I really hate having to scroll sideways.

I don't think that apple could successfully enter the console market, it is just to cut throat. Now, what they could do, is improve gaming on the Mac by buying up one of the better gaming houses and having them write insanely great games for OS X. That is someing that I think they should have done years ago.

For that matter, why didn't they buy Bungie before Microsoft did? With their newfound hold in the consumer market, games seem like an obvious focus. Their work with openGL suggests that they are quite keen for games developers to port to the Mac, but since OS X there has been relatively little active support for games and game developers.

How about Apple buying up some of the popular games dev kits like the Havoc physics engine for example?