Apple Mighty Mouse

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    deestardeestar Posts: 105member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

i'm mostly concerned about long-term grunge build-up on the ball, and a seemingly lack of any easy way to clean it. i'd rather see some sort of seamless method, just like when they moved the ipod from a real moving wheel to a circular trackpad. i mean, i keep my hands clean, but you can't keep that thing clean forever.

My Mighty Mouse overtime has had problems with a dirty roller ball, I just tried the method found on Apple's support web-site and it seems to have sorted it out.

Quote:

Although your Mighty Mouse never needs to be fed or watered, you may occasionally find that you need to clean it.

If your Mighty Mouse is covered in fingerprints or its surface has become soiled, it can be gently wiped with a clean lint-free cloth. If necessary, moisten the cloth using only water, making sure not to oversaturate it. Be aware that the mouse contains electronic components that may be damaged if water drips from the cloth into the mouse via the seam around the scroll ball or around its underside.

The same procedure can be used to clean the scroll ball on your Mighty Mouse if it has become discolored or dirty. Use a clean lint-free cloth lightly moistened with water. Wipe the ball and the surrounding area, making sure to rotate the ball itself to ensure complete coverage. If the scrolling feels rough, hold the mouse upside-down and roll the ball vigorously while cleaning it to help dislodge any particles that may have collected on the internal hardware.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=302417/
  • Reply 22 of 30
    sport73sport73 Posts: 438member
    Quote:

Originally posted by b3nj

Well... it's a pretty mouse. and flashy and cool, but to be honest, It's a peace of crap.

Nice feature that 2 in 1 button thing. And the scroll ball is pretty cool.

But have you tried to use that thing with Photoshop or Illustrator, or what ever program that you really need to use a right click? That thing is just plain hell on earth... damn that thing is just plain worthless...

Ctrl+click is the way to go if you don't have an other mouse. (in apps like PS)

I bought 1 for home use when they were first launched, and used it occassionally (since my wife is the primary user of our iMac), but felt pretty good sticking with my Microsoft Intellimouse 4 at work (with my PowerMac). Oddly, I kept finding myself drawn to the MM, sure it has 1 less button than my Intellimouse, but it's so "Apple" in aesthetic.

So, I bought one for work. I love it, and I hate it. I love the scroll ball and the satisfying little clicks that eminate from the mouse as I scroll. I love the ease of pressing the 3rd button (dead center over the ball) to view my EXPOSE windows. I even got used to the side-press buttons for my other favorite action: EXpose desktop. Right click hasn't been a problem, so for it's core functions it works fine.

Here's the biggest problem, and it's a biggie. If I use Expose with the Intellimouse to expose the desktop, click an item, then use expose to assist in dragging that item to a new window, everything is perfect. Click, click, drag, drop. Ahhh. Now, try to do the same thing on the Mighty Mouse...Whoops, You can't. With Expose Desktop mapped to the side buttons you squeeze the mouse to expose the desktop, then release and click on your item, now try to squeeze to bring the windows back while still holding the left-click...You can't, it only accepts one 'click' control at a time. THis can be frustrating and slow down my work.

Still, I haven't switched back to the Intellimouse because there is just something about the Mighty Mouse. Perhaps I'm officially a Mac nut?
  • Reply 23 of 30
    b3njb3nj Posts: 70member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sport73

Still, I haven't switched back to the Intellimouse because there is just something about the Mighty Mouse. Perhaps I'm officially a Mac nut?

I know what you're saying!

I hate that damn thing and I still use it!
  • Reply 24 of 30
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by zygomatic

The center button underneath the scroll only works in Tiger. I bought the mighty mouse what I was running Panther. The install CD only worked on Tiger, hence all mouse sensors were preconfigured until I upgraded to Tiger. I installed the software. Then, I could customize the features. The center mouse button under the scroll is not as sensative as icfireball described in my mighty mouse. Maybe Apple received complaints and hence changed this.

addabox was the one who said the center button was too sensetive. I said it was perfect. And I got one of the first shipments of mighty mouses.
  • Reply 25 of 30
    I have a mightymouse as well, it is great.

I have had it for about 5 months. About a week ago the scroll wheel wouldn't scroll down any more (physical if moved, but nothing happened). I was going to pick up a new one the next day, but before I did, it seems to click back into place and has worked fine since.
  • Reply 26 of 30
    Bleh! I got one of these with my iMac (Intel). Ugh. I loathe it.

1. Try click-dragging a distance that requires picking up the mouse and setting it back down. Something like selecting a big chunk of an image. It can be done, but I find it a PAIN. And you can't use the side buttons to brace because stupid Expose kicks in then.

2. WHY did Apple limit what the various buttons can be assigned to do? I went out and found a hack to map the center button (the ball button) to Ctrl-Click.

3. You have to learn where to push for the left and right buttons. After a couple weeks I'm finally secondary-clicking pretty reliably, but I hate having to think about targetting so precisely.

The scroll ball is fairly nice, I will admit that. But otherwise I find the thing a usability nightmare. Unfortunately I'm stuck with it till Kensington gets their trackball drivers updated to universal binaries. Go TurboMouse!

- Jasen.
  • Reply 27 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by icfireball

And I got one of the first shipments of mighty mouses.

Mighty Mice?
  • Reply 28 of 30
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by b3nj

I hate that damn thing and I still use it!

That's the built-in RDF that alters your brain waves every time you use it.
  • Reply 29 of 30
    ibuzzibuzz Posts: 135member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

It's the smooth curves..... Stimulates the pleasure centers
  • Reply 30 of 30
    b3njb3nj Posts: 70member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

that would explain the drooling!

edit: typo