question about games

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
i'm new to macs, and i wanted to know if like windows do you need to put the game cd into the mac every time you want to play?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Unless it's cracked or

• Reply 2 of 11
    There is an application called Roxio Toast that you can use to make "fakes" of your cd's for your games. You pop in the cd, fire up Toast, make an "image" (it's still the size of your cd/dvd, 700MB for a cd, up to 8.5GB for a dvd, so make sure you have hard drive space), save it to the folder which has your game (after you have your file, make sure you get info--right click and choose get info and check the "locked box"--this fools the computer into thinking it's an actual cd, not just a rewritten cd), and then whenever you want to fire up your game that you need to play, just double-click your .toast image, mount the disk, and you're good to go.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    boemaneboemane Posts: 311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by speed_the_collapse

There is an application called Roxio Toast that you can use to make "fakes" of your cd's for your games. You pop in the cd, fire up Toast, make an "image" (it's still the size of your cd/dvd, 700MB for a cd, up to 8.5GB for a dvd, so make sure you have hard drive space), save it to the folder which has your game (after you have your file, make sure you get info--right click and choose get info and check the "locked box"--this fools the computer into thinking it's an actual cd, not just a rewritten cd), and then whenever you want to fire up your game that you need to play, just double-click your .toast image, mount the disk, and you're good to go.

You can do this with Disk Utility as well.. and that comes with every copy of OS X... Pop in the CD and choose File -> Image from device, and off you go
  • Reply 4 of 11
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Toast installs something deep into the system so disk images mounted with toast mount as normal disks while Disk Utility images mount as images.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    are cracks legal and where do i find them?
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by WH4T

are cracks legal and where do i find them?

Ummm ... no. Actually, good Mac games can be found for a decent price if you look in the right place. I was able to grab Halo for $10 and Unreal Torunament 2004 for $15 off of Half.com. You might also try Amazon or eBay. Things are much easier when you have legit copies. I used to have a cracked version of Halo and I couldn't update it because it would require the CD (and a mounted image didn't cut it for some reason...) and I couldn't play over a network because I couldn't update. So, I just turned around a bought a copy of it and now I'm all set.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    wh4twh4t Posts: 7member
    if you got the game and don't want to carry the cd's, where do you fond cracks
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:

if you got the game and don't want to carry the cd's, where do you fond cracks

I'm not quite sure I get what you're saying? If you have the game, you should also have the serial number that goes with it. The only time it should ask you for a serial number is when you install or run it for the first time. If it's a problem about having a CD in the drive when you play, then there is no crack needed. You make an image of the disk and mount it whenever you want to play. (Great solution if you're on a laptop...)

But please explain further so I understand what your situation is...
  • Reply 9 of 11
    wh4twh4t Posts: 7member
    how much space does a cd image take up?

i want to play games on a new powerbook without taking the game cd's everywhere i go.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:

how much space does a cd image take up?

i want to play games on a new powerbook without taking the game cd's everywhere i go.

Well, some games require the CD in the drive and others don't. UT doesn't make you, but Halo does, for example. Install all your games first then run them to find out which ones require a CD to be in the drive. As far as space goes, that depends on the size of the disc. If you highlight the disk and click File / Get Info, it'll tell you how much space the disk uses, and that is about how much space your image will take up. As an example, I believe the Halo CD is ~675MB, the image I have of the CD uses ~632MB, so there is some compression, just not much.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    does anyone know if neverwinter nights or x-plane needs a cd to play?