Blank CD/DVD not showing!!

jmljml
Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I'm trying to burn/back-up some data on to CD, when I insert the blank it does not show on desktop or in Finders side bar. I have checked all settings in prefferences and they seam to be right, I have burned before on this power G4 dual 1.42 and I do have drive: CD-RW/DVD-RW.

Can anyone help me?

PS for the first time when I rebooted today, a flashing planet apeared on my screen? Hummmm?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jml

I'm trying to burn/back-up some data on to CD, when I insert the blank it does not show on desktop or in Finders side bar. I have checked all settings in prefferences and they seam to be right, I have burned before on this power G4 dual 1.42 and I do have drive: CD-RW/DVD-RW.

Can anyone help me?

PS for the first time when I rebooted today, a flashing planet apeared on my screen? Hummmm?

Thanks in advance.

My guess is that you have somehow put your DVD-RW's region code into an indeterminate or error state.
  • Reply 2 of 26
    jmljml Posts: 19member
    Thank you Mr.Me for your prompt reply, but ahhhh?! what next?

you see this has never hapened to me and.... I'm kind of stuck, any suggestions?

Tks again.

Jml
  • Reply 3 of 26
    I think the flashing planet has soemthing to do with trying to boot off a network...

About the cds, are these the same type you've always used? My sister's iMac for instrance, won't work with some HP media...
  • Reply 4 of 26
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    See if the optical drive shows up in System Profiler (Apple Menu -> About This Mac -> More Info - >Hardware -> Disc Burning).
  • Reply 5 of 26
    nijiniji Posts: 288member
    what is happeing to you once happened to me with my last 15"powerbook that died a quiet death 2 months ago. both of yr symptoms, actually.

but i think that in my case there were two separate problems: the inability to write to cd and a flashing disk at the start were not related in my case.

1. inability to wrte cd: as a poster indicated in this thread, in my case i almost am 100% certain that it was due to my screwing up the regionality (which i cant go into here)

2. flashing drive: i had dropped the powerbook onto a stone floor in india a couple months before and the harddrive began to give out. this eventually led to the os not finding a startup disk and flashing of that message (different from yrs).

do a Disk Utility on the drive itself (not on the volume) and see if the status comes back SMART Verified. at least thats a start.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by ricksbrain

I think the flashing planet has soemthing to do with trying to boot off a network...

About the cds, are these the same type you've always used? My sister's iMac for instrance, won't work with some HP media...

Thanks for the info on the flashig planet, you're corect on that one, as for the CDs yes they are the same and I now know as of today that the burner works since I was able to burn some jpegs directly from my iphoto.

The problem is that I cant get the blank CD Icon to show on the desk top or in the side view of finder, meaning that I can't burn just plain info on CDs
  • Reply 7 of 26
    Go to System Preferences: DCs & DVDs

Look at "When you insert a blank CD"

What does it say?
  • Reply 8 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by niji

what is happeing to you once happened to me with my last 15"powerbook that died a quiet death 2 months ago. both of yr symptoms, actually.

but i think that in my case there were two separate problems: the inability to write to cd and a flashing disk at the start were not related in my case.

1. inability to wrte cd: as a poster indicated in this thread, in my case i almost am 100% certain that it was due to my screwing up the regionality (which i cant go into here)

2. flashing drive: i had dropped the powerbook onto a stone floor in india a couple months before and the harddrive began to give out. this eventually led to the os not finding a startup disk and flashing of that message (different from yrs).

do a Disk Utility on the drive itself (not on the volume) and see if the status comes back SMART Verified. at least thats a start.

Thanks niji,

I went back to your previous postes and from what I read my problem is a bit different as when I incert a DVD / movie it plays same with music CD, my problem is on a blank CD / DVD the icon does not show on desktop or in finder window
  • Reply 9 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by Whyatt Thrash

Go to System Preferences: DCs & DVDs

Look at "When you insert a blank CD"

What does it say?

Thanks Whyatt, it reads "open Finder" on both.

What now?
  • Reply 10 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

See if the optical drive shows up in System Profiler (Apple Menu -> About This Mac -> More Info - >Hardware -> Disc Burning).

Thanks Lundy,

This is what I get: ATA-3 Bus:

PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-105:

ManufacturertPIONEER

ModeltPIONEER DVD-RW DVR-105

RevisiontA506

Serial NumbertBLDL006.........

Drive TypetCD-RW/DVD-RW

Disc BurningtApple Supported/Shipped

Removable MediatYes

Detachable DrivetNo

ProtocoltATAPI

Unit Numbert0

Socket TypetInternal

what now?

• Reply 11 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by jml

Thanks Lundy,

Sure is starting to sound like just a software glitch.

First, make a new test account in System Preferences -> Accounts, log out, log into the new account and see if it can see the blank disk.
  • Reply 12 of 26
    Are the cds recognized by disk utility?
  • Reply 13 of 26
    Quote:

Sure is starting to sound like just a software glitch.

First, make a new test account in System Preferences -> Accounts, log out, log into the new account and see if it can see the blank disk.

thanks again Lundy, but no even in the new test account, I don't see the blank disk
  • Reply 14 of 26
    Quote:

Are the cds recognized by disk utility?

Hey Great... I think / hope? finaly I can answer with a YES!

I do see that disk utility recognizes the blank CD, what next?

I hope this means good things!
  • Reply 15 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by jml

Hey Great... I think / hope? finaly I can answer with a YES!

I do see that disk utility recognizes the blank CD, what next?

I hope this means good things!

I don't have the answer, but two different accounts not seeing the disk means the problem is in one of the files in the /Library or /System/Library folders.

At this point I would go to the Apple Discussions and see if others have had the problem, as randomly zapping system prefs isn't going to be easy.

http://discussions.apple.com/categor...categoryID=160
  • Reply 16 of 26
    Ditto-- but asn obvious question-- does repairing permissions do anything for you?
  • Reply 17 of 26
    Or try repairing your startup disc... Restart, and after you hear the "doing" startup chime, immediately press "shift". Release shift when the grey screen with the apple comes up. This will startup in safe mode, and repair your startup disc (as well as repair permissions). When the computer's booted up, just restart normally.

It's worth a shot.
  • Reply 18 of 26
    Quote:

Ditto-- but asn obvious question-- does repairing permissions do anything for you?

Thanks Rick, did did what you sugested and Nothing?! any more sugestion.
  • Reply 19 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by Whyatt Thrash

Or try repairing your startup disc... Restart, and after you hear the "doing" startup chime, immediately press "shift". Release shift when the grey screen with the apple comes up. This will startup in safe mode, and repair your startup disc (as well as repair permissions). When the computer's booted up, just restart normally.

It's worth a shot.

Hey thanks Whyatt, did what you and Rick sugested and still nothing, any other sugestions?
  • Reply 20 of 26
    Quote:

I don't have the answer, but two different accounts not seeing the disk means the problem is in one of the files in the /Library or /System/Library folders.

At this point I would go to the Apple Discussions and see if others have had the problem, as randomly zapping system prefs isn't going to be easy.

http://discussions.apple.com/categor...categoryID=160

Thanks Lundy I'm going to look in to that right now, good Idea, Thanks again.