Superbowl Entertainment

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Well, the pregame is over and there is a medley of Motown classics being sung as I type this. Certainly a representatvie sample of some of the greatest music ever made. Only complaint that I have is that they seem to be doing everything too down-tempo ("Signed Sealed Delivered" in particular) as compared to the originals. I think it takes away a lot of the energy the original songs spewed from the speakers.

Looking forward to the commericals and half-time show.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    P.S. GO STEELERS!
  • Reply 2 of 33
    let's get to the game already.

steelers 28 , seahawks 26
  • Reply 3 of 33
    That Dr. Seuss thing with Harrison Ford, Staubach, Rice, Starr, Montana and the rest was great.
  • Reply 4 of 33
    That was the worse game ever, and the adverts sucked ass...

The only good one was the MasterCard commercial...
  • Reply 5 of 33
    I dunno... Commericals were definitely more toned down than in years past. I like the Motorola pebl ad, as well as Bud Light's "magic wall" one. The Robot and the Monster H3 ad was clever as well. But on the whole there were fewer over the top gut busting funny commericals.

As far as the game goes, I am glad the Steelers won, but I couldn't help but feel that the refs played too big a role in the game. Not that they called too many penalties, but that those penalties came on huge plays in key situations. I am sure that many Seattle backers feel the same way. Still, nice to see Cowher finally get one after 14 years with the team and good to see Bettis go out on a high note.
  • Reply 6 of 33
    Terrible Commercials, Terrible Game.

Super Bowl XL: Seattle Seahawks vs. NFL Refs.

Waste of a Day. Maybe the refs can tell us who will win next year's game so we don't have to watch any games. The NFL has to be the second most corrupt sporting association behind the WWE. The only difference is that more players are on roids in the NFL. What a Joke. It's only fitting that Sgt. Slaughter wins it all.

• Reply 7 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by hardeeharhar

That was the worse game ever, and the adverts sucked ass...

The only good one was the MasterCard commercial...

I nearly shat myself during the FedEx ad with the cavemen. Definitely, far and away the best ad of the bowl. From the first second you can tell it's going to be funny, and then when that animal gets punted at the end -- that's just awesome.

The Pepsi ads were painfully bad (As usual?), and I'm guessing someone is going to get fired over there, if it hasn't happened already. The Budweiser ads were really girlish, too, which is weird since the Bud Light and Michelob Ultra Dark ads were really guy-centric, despite the fact that I've never seen a woman drink Budweiser. . . not even in Daytona. The Ultra Dark ad was my favorite beer ad.
  • Reply 8 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by JohnnySmith

Terrible Commercials, Terrible Game.

Super Bowl XL: Seattle Seahawks vs. NFL Refs.

Waste of a Day. Maybe the refs can tell us who will win next year's game so we don't have to watch any games. The NFL has to be the second most corrupt sporting association behind the WWE. The only difference is that more players are on roids in the NFL. What a Joke. It's only fitting that Sgt. Slaughter wins it all.

Thank you. Someone else that wishes the Seahawks won.
  • Reply 9 of 33
    As a long time(from the beginning...) Raider fan, I always keep my tin hat handy. The officiating was pathetic. Or was it? Maybe something else was afoot. Nawww. Super Bowls will SELDOM live up to the hype.

It wasn't a bad game at all if you take the officials out. Of course, you can't do that.

As an (old)oldschool Football fan, the commercial hype associated with the SB is stupifying. Oh well. The Rolling Stones? They SUCK... I mean, don't get me wrong people, I love everything they have recorded up to about, oh let's say, 20 years ago... The game was held in Detroit, it should have been an all-Motown show. Ehh, just my two cents...
  • Reply 10 of 33
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Eh, the officiation was bad both ways.

and....

YAY STEELERS!!!@#
  • Reply 11 of 33
    Game: BAD.

Badly called (in favor of the Steelers) by the "all star" officials (which is roughly equivalent of being the best downhill skiing team in all of Kansas). Skip Bayless summarizes it well.

Commercials: DECENT.

I liked the magic fridge and the "don't judge too soon" ones...though they weren't as good as last year's.

Halftime show: MEDIOCRE (at best)

U2 was much better. Having a Motown show might have been a thoughtful idea (but I guess I shouldn't complain, afterall they did realize the game was in Motown, you know...like 3 days before it played). Instead they let the Rolling Stones bribe them into letting them do a commercial for themselves.
  • Reply 12 of 33
    cato988cato988 Posts: 307member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

Game: BAD.

Badly called (in favor of the Steelers) by the "all star" officials (which is roughly equivalent of being the best downhill skiing team in all of Kansas).

Hey, i live in Kansas and would like to say that we have a great downhill skiing team!
  • Reply 13 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cato988

Hey, i live in Kansas and would like to say that we have a great downhill skiing team!

Ooops. Sorry. Ummm...how about Mexico?

Was going for the flatness of Kansas (vs. any particular athletic ability).
  • Reply 14 of 33
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

...the "don't judge too soon" ones...though they weren't as good as last year's.

I will never, EVER forget the one where the husband his holding the "bloody" cat and a knife when the wife walks in!

• Reply 15 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

I will never, EVER forget the one where the husband his holding the "bloody" cat and a knife when the wife walks in!

Yeah. My favorite by far.
  • Reply 16 of 33
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    What, no giddy hysteria over the coming of the Gillette Fusion?

Count 'em, five blades, and another single blade on the flip side for, you know, shaving. that being the "fusion" part, since I guess "cobbled together" didn't test well.

Is there an upper limit to the number of blades they'll put on these things? Why not six? Ten?

I demand a razor with 27 blades with a powered pump that squirts shaving gel and vibration and lasers!

I want my blades to be marvels of complex engineering and cost 8 bucks apiece! My face deserves no less!
  • Reply 17 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by hardhead

The game was held in Detroit, it should have been an all-Motown show. Ehh, just my two cents...

I disagree. The two mo-town heroes they had do the national anthem were 10x more painful than the rolling stones were. Aretha Franklin's voice is not the same as it once was.
  • Reply 18 of 33
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

I disagree. The two mo-town heroes they had do the national anthem were 10x more painful than the rolling stones were. Aretha Franklin's voice is not the same as it once was.

Mick's ain't much better! And the rest of the group sounded lackluster as well. We all thought the Stones should be embarrassed to perform live, if that's what they always sound like!

The only bad call I saw was the Big Ben TD run, and that was IMHO lacking clear evidence to overturn it. The Seahawks got lucky when the fumble was overturned due to the Steeler having a couple of fingers on the QB. The Steelers simply played harder in the 2nd half, the way the Seahawks were mismanaging the clock and dropping passes left and right, they earned that loss!
  • Reply 19 of 33
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iPoster

The Seahawks got lucky when the fumble was overturned due to the Steeler having a couple of fingers on the QB.

I bet that's the only time a defender wishes he HADN'T touched the quarterback! \
  • Reply 20 of 33
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

What, no giddy hysteria over the coming of the Gillette Fusion?

Count 'em, five blades, and another single blade on the flip side for, you know, shaving. that being the "fusion" part, since I guess "cobbled together" didn't test well.

Is there an upper limit to the number of blades they'll put on these things? Why not six? Ten?

I demand a razor with 27 blades with a powered pump that squirts shaving gel and vibration and lasers!

I want my blades to be marvels of complex engineering and cost 8 bucks apiece! My face deserves no less!

While the 5-bladed razor is funny, can someone tell me what the battery powered version does?! My guess is that it cuts your face up and disfigures you. I don't know about you, but I don't want a battery-powered blade razor.

Besides don't get stuck on the number-of-blades myth. Competing razors may have less blades but they cut more efficiently.

My guess is that next year Gillette will release LazrBlayd (TM), using the amazing power of lasers to shave! Be all the man you can be!!