What are the chances of MS taking Intel aswell?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
My uncle (who works for apple) told me a story of how Apple used to be partenered(spelling?) with IBM. Then MS(microsoft) came along and said "Hey IBM, we want your chip for our new product the "Xbox" and we dont want you to sell them to Apple anymore." Now of course MS had the money to do that, so IBM was taken away from Apple. What do you think the chances are of Microsoft stealing away Intel like they did IBM??

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    where do I begin.....

• Reply 2 of 13
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    back in the days of vietnam war...
  • Reply 3 of 13
    wgauvinwgauvin Posts: 100member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

where do I begin.....

Let me try this one:

There are 2 other game consoles that are going to use the PPC chips, the Sony's new Playstation and Nintendo's new machine. To say MS 'stole' IBM away from Apple is a joke to say the least.

Apple only accounted for a very small percentage of IBM and Freescale's customer base; both of them had other customers to look after. IBM killed any chance of Apple staying with them by making huge promises years ago with a 3GHz G5, as well as low-wattage G5s for the laptop, neither have availed.

Apple may have other reasons for the switch, but the main thing is that Intel's roadmap is more along the lines of Apple than IBM and Freescale's have for the PPC chip. Now they're using Intel, they can have an alternative supplier in AMD, I doubt we see AMD chips but Apple only has to mention the word and it could see them get a kickback from Intel.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    I believe Apple switched based on IBM's LACK of a productive roadmap for them, more than Intel's good one.

It looks like IBM's gone down the path of building on the Cell for their Power line, which just doesn't make any sense for desktops or laptops at this point. There was a fork in the road and Apple had to make a choice.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    jousterjouster Posts: 460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Apple Imp

...Then MS(microsoft) came along and said "Hey IBM, we want your chip for our new product the "Xbox" and we dont want you to sell them to Apple anymore." Now of course MS had the money to do that, so IBM was taken away from Apple.....

I've heard this too. I believe most of it took place in Area 51 after the alien autopsy and Apollo landings were faked; I'm sure a grassy knoll came into it somewhere too.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by jouster

I've heard this too. I believe most of it took place in Area 51 after the alien autopsy and Apollo landings were faked; I'm sure a grassy knoll came into it somewhere too.

No no, the alien autopsy was real, just the moon landings were fake
  • Reply 7 of 13
    wgauvinwgauvin Posts: 100member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gregmightdothat

An Elivs is alive, and works at MS. That is why all their software is fat and bloated.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    apple wanted laptop chips....ibm couldn't deliver

intel has great chips and a future roadmap with dualcore lower heat, better battery life, and the chip making capacity to back up apples expansion...don't you remember the product delays and lack of product growth

amd didn't have the roadmap, support, capacity or panache that intel has and was willing to "partner" build, support reduce apple's development costs so.....guess what happened?8)
  • Reply 9 of 13
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gregmightdothat

I haven't seen it yet; I've been waiting for the colorized version to come out. I bet IT is Big Blue!
  • Reply 10 of 13
    resres Posts: 711member
    Quote:

My uncle (who works for apple) told me a story of how Apple used to be partenered(spelling?) with IBM. Then MS(microsoft) came along and said "Hey IBM, we want your chip for our new product the "Xbox" and we dont want you to sell them to Apple anymore." Now of course MS had the money to do that, so IBM was taken away from Apple. What do you think the chances are of Microsoft stealing away Intel like they did IBM??

IBM was not taken away from Apple, Apple dumped IBM, mostly because IBM could not come up with a good chip for notebooks. MS has absolutely no say in who Intel (or IBM for that matter) sells their chips to.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Quote:

What do you mean by steal?

I bet IBM and Freescale don't even feel like producing chips for Mac themselves.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by wgauvin

An Elivs is alive, and works at MS. That is why all their software is fat and bloated.

Let me get this straight: Elvis is a great person, he's neither fat nor bloated, he's a great singer - the king - and he's definetly not on Bill's payroll! Not sure about John Lennon though...
  • Reply 13 of 13
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris_here

Let me get this straight: Elvis is a great person, he's neither fat nor bloated, he's a great singer - the king - and he's definetly not on Bill's payroll! Not sure about John Lennon though...

But that's because john didn't write as good as Sir Paul did.

ooooooh envy...

helter skelter