Soundsticks any good?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I was thinking of buying Soundsticks.i don't need stat eof the art on my computer but i will probably watch dvds in addtion to listening to mp3s

are they any good?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I've heard mixed things about them. Mostly saying they aren't worth the $200 price tag.

Personally I'd have to vouch for a $100 stereo system. That's the setup I've had. It's not nearly as compact, but the sound quality is excellent and it's not too expensive compared to many setups. All you need to do is get a stereo system with auxilary jacks on the back (two little plugs, one red and one white, like on a TV) and a cord to connect the aux jacks to your computer's headphone jack. You can easily tell if a stereo system has aux jacks on the back if there's an "Aux" function on the front (it'll be in line with the CD, Tape, and Tuner functions).
  • Reply 2 of 28
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    They're not worth it for the price.
  • Reply 3 of 28
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    They certainly aren't Klipschs or some of the more expensive Altec-Lansings, but they sound AND look good.

And you can find them for closer to $150 than $200.

I have been happy with mine...
  • Reply 4 of 28
    They are very good and worth the bucks.
  • Reply 5 of 28
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    I am very happy with mine too - they look great with any Mac setup, and the sound is perfectly fine. You wouldn't consider them of course if you planned on shaking the walls with your music - but they're great for a computer speaker system.

Not that you can't use them as a home stereo though - we use the iMac for music in our living room about 90% of the time, and we're happy with them. I'd recommend them to anyone.
  • Reply 6 of 28
    roborobo Posts: 469member
    well, the thing about soundsticks (and other H/K stuff) is that they look very good, but you pay a premium for looks (sound like another company we're all familiar with???)

So if you spend the same amount of money for another set of speakers from a less flashy brand (Klipsch, Monsoons, even Bose (!)) you will probably have better sounding, but uglier, speakers.

Then again, the soundsticks certainly don't sound bad, so you just have to think about where you stand on the sound/looks scale.

-robo
  • Reply 7 of 28
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    I have the soundsticks with the i sub : the sound is good, however they are expansive, but all look have a prize. So it's up to you.

I am worried about onething anyway, when i shut down the subwoofer, it awake my G4. The problem is that i can't sleep with these blue light.
  • Reply 8 of 28
    burningwheelburningwheel Posts: 1,827member
    these woudn't be replacing my main stereo. i did find them for $160 which is a lot better than $200

thanks
  • Reply 9 of 28
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    for the price I woulf get a pair of klipsh or higher end altec lansing speakers.

even Monsoons sound better and may be cheaper depending on model.

soundsticks look cool as hell though
  • Reply 10 of 28
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    For the price of some of the Klipsch and Altec-Lansing options, I would almost suggest going with PSB Alpha Intro home theater speakers and such...
  • Reply 11 of 28
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    The SoundSticks' main selling point is looks, they look freaking awesome with any Mac hardware.

IMO, they will do you fine if you aren't going to use them as a main system...I have my iMac hooked up to a nice Aiwa shelf system and it does me fine-most of my music is on the computer.
  • Reply 12 of 28
    agent302agent302 Posts: 974member
    when i bought my soundsticks at Fry's in the Bay Area, they were only $149. And I've been very satisfied with them.
  • Reply 13 of 28
    trevormtrevorm Posts: 841member
    I have the Soundsticks with the isub. I have to say I like them but I had a pair of Altec Lansing ones that cost less than half the price and really sounded great...

The H/Ks are great but the bass is not huge at all, it sounds good though when they are up full volume..
  • Reply 14 of 28
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    I have them for my Power Mac, and they are not bad.

However, for a similar price you can have the most kick-ass 2.1 speakers on the planet <a href="http://www.klipsch.com/products/productdetail.asp?id=76&line=promedia"; target="_blank">http://www.klipsch.com/products/productdetail.asp?id=76&line=promedia</a>;

If I was buying new speakers now, I'd buy these.

Barto
  • Reply 15 of 28
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    I have Soundsticks/iSub. I love them. I use them for music and games (Wolf,Q3, Unreal, etc).

They are great. I think they sound as good as they look.

The iSub has a cool blue light...
  • Reply 16 of 28
    xiaxinxiaxin Posts: 44member
    it worth the bucks, and connect Soundsticks to MacOS X running Mac, use iTune 2.0.4. the sound quality is excellent!
  • Reply 17 of 28
    burningwheelburningwheel Posts: 1,827member
    so Soundsticks bass only sounds good when turned up to full volume?? that doesn't sem right
  • Reply 18 of 28
    aslanaslan Posts: 97member
    think you missed his meaning...

They don't have great bass characteristics, but they don't rattle/sound like sh*t when you have them turned up all the way.

At least thats what i think he meant...
  • Reply 19 of 28
    The Soundsticks with iSub also have a universal power supply, meaning that you can bring them with you to 220 Volt countries (like the UK). They are also very lightweight. I've seriously considered buying a set for my 6 month travels this year (I have a fairly stable "base camp"). If the Klipsch 2.1 setup has universal power supply, then I'd buy those, as they are reported to really kick a$$.
  • Reply 20 of 28
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    excellent quality, yet not quite worth the bucks, get the klipsch pro media 2.1 if you want the better value- although i was never a fan of the soundstick stylings to begin with.