Let's see those iWeb sites!

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I bought iWeb this weekend and will install it this evening. Hopefully I'll have a site to publish soon.

If you've published a site with iWeb, let's see it. I'd love to get ideas from others and see what this app is actually capable of.

I'm most interested in migrating content from a Homepage over to an iWeb site and find out how well it works and how it looks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 212
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

I bought iWeb this weekend and will install it this evening. Hopefully I'll have a site to publish soon.

If you've published a site with iWeb, let's see it. I'd love to get ideas from others and see what this app is actually capable of.

I'm most interested in migrating content from a Homepage over to an iWeb site and find out how well it works and how it looks.

Sorry to let you down, but imho, it is a peice of crap at the moment, you cant sway from the templates and there really arent enough templates, having used all sorts of publishing tools from AOL Homepage (1994) to editing with notepad, to using Frontpage 97, and tinkered with 2k and 2k3, having used Geocitys (pre and post yahoo ownership), having played with the "hard" tools from adobe and Macro, I can say that iWeb is a no starter, the integratiobn with ilife is great, but if I can move things the way I want them faster in code than wysiwyg, then I say the wysiwig needs a lot of help and there is no code review/edit tool in here either, and that is a big problem.

A good start, needs more work, wait for ver.2

also: If you post music it links to the iTms, that is cool, but, I would like a cut of the action, like amazon referals, hell, even itunes credit would be cool. something like "move 10 songs through your site get one free" or something.
  • Reply 2 of 212
    Here's mine . Nothing fancy, just a main page, about me, and a few photo albums. I'll probably add a few more once I've a) got more experience with iWeb, and b) thought of more stuff to actually put up there .

I quite like the app. I only need to produce simple pages with minimal effort, and iWeb does that for me. I'm sure it will get more advanced in future versions, but I'm pleased with what I can do so far.
  • Reply 3 of 212
    I agree. There is no easier way (that I know of) of coming home from a short drive and posting your photos for all your friends to see. Just import to iPhoto, create an album, open iWeb, click new photo page, a couple of drags, a little typing, and you're ready to post.

Here is my site that is basically photos. Have some photos of Mount Sakurajima which is across the bay from where I live... at one point it was one of the most active volcanoes in the world.

You'll see two World #1's: the world's largest radish and the world'S smallest orange both are grown only on Sakurajima due to its special soil.
  • Reply 4 of 212
    Having played with both for a few weeks now, I prefer Sandvox -- from www.karelia.com -- to iWeb. Sandvox managed to be simple, but still provide a bit more control and power, and I like their templates better.
  • Reply 5 of 212
    Well, I put to together a personal site with iWeb, and was not as disappointed as most. I use dreamweaver and hand code HTML, but have no problem with a problem solver like iWeb. Some shortcomings sure, but it is 1.0.

I've got some scuba shots, kid shots, and pics from my band's tour of Colorado.

enjoy
  • Reply 6 of 212
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bergermeister

I agree. There is no easier way (that I know of) of coming home from a short drive and posting your photos for all your friends to see. Just import to iPhoto, create an album, open iWeb, click new photo page, a couple of drags, a little typing, and you're ready to post.

Here is my site that is basically photos. Have some photos of Mount Sakurajima which is across the bay from where I live... at one point it was one of the most active volcanoes in the world.

You'll see two World #1's: the world's largest radish and the world'S smallest orange both are grown only on Sakurajima due to its special soil.

Very cool!
  • Reply 7 of 212
    Glad you liked it!8)

On the Photo Albums page, I took Apple's page, deleted most of the page to give me a basically blank page, then used the hyperlink maker to gett things working. It is a breeze, and you are not stuck with Apple's templates. I hope they come out with a blank page like the have for Pages.
  • Reply 8 of 212
    camcam Posts: 35member
    Quote:

Originally posted by digitaldave

Here's mine . Nothing fancy, just a main page, about me, and a few photo albums. I'll probably add a few more once I've a) got more experience with iWeb, and b) thought of more stuff to actually put up there .

NIce page Digital Dave and very nice shots... makes me want to go to Cambodia!

I'm just starting to use iWeb. I like having my photos in albums, like you do with your "Photo Albums" page. Is that an automatic function in iWeb or did you have to put the links to the photos pages in by hand?

I was hoping photo albums would work the way blog pages do by creating sub-pages. Did you use a blog page as a template?

Thanks!
  • Reply 9 of 212
    It's not automatic I'm afraid, I did it like you did, created a list and changed the entries to links. Maybe they'll add an even simpler method in the next version .
  • Reply 10 of 212
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Here is one of my pages: *long gone
  • Reply 11 of 212
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    you dont need to be a .mac subscriber to use iweb right?

sorry if its such a newby question but honestly i dont know with apple anymore,

they are charging for such stupid shit these days.
  • Reply 12 of 212
    Quote:

Originally posted by Elixir

you dont need to be a .mac subscriber to use iweb right?

Correct. There is an option to save the site to disk so you can upload it anywhere you want.
  • Reply 13 of 212
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I wish there were better export options.. making a small change to to a page makes you export the whole project just so you can ftp the single page and its folder. Forget it if you have a ton of pics or movies.
  • Reply 14 of 212
    trick falltrick fall Posts: 1,271member
    Outsider I enjoyed your site. Thanks for the laughs.
  • Reply 15 of 212
    Quote:

Originally posted by Outsider

I wish there were better export options.. making a small change to to a page makes you export the whole project just so you can ftp the single page and its folder. Forget it if you have a ton of pics or movies.

IME with several pages full of pics, when I make slight changes to a single page, it exports much faster than the original export, so it seems to only update the changes. I have made many minor changes to my site and can tell you it does not take that long.
  • Reply 16 of 212
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I too think it needs help. I used the feedback form saying that I'd like to be able to customize the template rather than having to adjust every page made using a template to my preferences.

I do think it is a waste that iWeb doesn't have the same level of alternate site export as iCal does for calendar exports, iCal automatically publishes updates. Even the automatic .mac update is pretty asinine, the URL is needlessly long. I think it should be mac.com/~username not web.mac.com/username/iWeb/Site. I think it is one of those cases where Apple tries too hard to be different when the old Unix web server way was better and simpler in the first place.

That said, I did like how easy it was to throw images into a gallery, either singly or an entire iPhoto album. It would be nice if changes in the iPhoto album would automatically update the page generated from that album.

The fact that it renders some link text as images is asinine as well, wasting bandwidth and space.

Anyway, enough rambling, here is my page:

http://demaagd.com/jeff/

I hope it works right this time, I had some character set issues where the page doesn't seem to tell the web browser what character set is used.

Edit: the character set issue is starting to get vexing. I don't know what character set I need to use. UTF-8 is supposed to be automatically understood by the browser, but neither Firefox nor Safari seems to understand it.
  • Reply 17 of 212
    Quote:

Originally posted by digitaldave

I quite like the app. I only need to produce simple pages with minimal effort, and iWeb does that for me. I'm sure it will get more advanced in future versions, but I'm pleased with what I can do so far.

Digital Dave... thanks for showing us your site. I really enjoy your photos... they're very nice!
  • Reply 18 of 212
    Quote:

Originally posted by Outsider

Here is one of my pages: www.thepires.com/VideoVault.html

Just FYI, you could be violating copyright. If someone finds out and gets pissed you could have some shit on your hands. The only way to legally do it is to link to the movie file on the original site. But I wonldn't worry about it too much, chances are no one cares.
  • Reply 19 of 212
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by icfireball

Just FYI, you could be violating copyright. If someone finds out and gets pissed you could have some shit on your hands.

All he'd have to do is remove the offending clip to avoid further legal action.
  • Reply 20 of 212
    I was really interested in iWeb after the keynote, but it's barely more than vaporware right now. Sure, they released ver. 1.0, but it's missing some critical features.

It generates HORRIBLE code, and doesn't optimize images for the web. In all the iWeb websites I've visited the home page images are grossly large. On my 2 mbit DSL line it was taking 5-6 seconds to load many of the header images. That's rediculous.

You can't edit the code, which is insane. I know this is targeted at beginners, but that's like not being able to write macros in Excel. Come on!

It definitely has potential, but there are FAR better programs out there, even for beginners. Maybe not with the flair of apple apps, but that work better, faster and with cleaner output.