Hardware Growler

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I started uing Growl and Hardware growl a fiar few months ago now and have put up with the Hardware growl icon sitting in my dock ever since. But, is there any way to remove this icon? I understand that the application is running but only in the background. The dock icon serves absolutly no purpose and is just bugging me by being there.

Cheers

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Most dock items (except restricted system ones) can be removed simply by dragging them off the dock and dropping them onto the desktop... you'll get a little poof of cartoon smoke and it's gone from the dock.

If may take a try or two if you're using a trackpad, because some folks are clicking (to start the app) rather than clicking and dragging in the same motion.

Your other option is to click and hold on a running program in the dock... the context menu should pop up and normally has an item for "remove from dock".
  • Reply 2 of 7
    I mean whilst the program is running. It is only a background application so i do not understand why it requires dock space for an icon. I have it on auto launch, and the icon then remains in my dock whilst hardware growler is running (i.e. at all times)
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Ah... misunderstood... thought you wanted it gone from the dock after it had been added there... what you want is for it to run, but in 'stealth mode'.

For that you probably need something like Transparent dock

Quote:

A few new options were added!

Fully adjustable transparency with 7 transparency levels

Set the color & transparency of the dock background & borders

Set the color of the triangles under open (running) applications (more colors)

TD Themes palette allows saving & switching among custom dock themes

Customize the dock poof effect

Control the icon name font size

Control the floating state of the dock

Lock icons in the dock (disables icon dragging)

Allow Finder icon dragging

Enable single application mode when switching applications from the dock

Show or hide background-only applications

Place Hide & Hide Others commands in the docked application popup menus

Show or hide package contents in the docked directory popup menus

Show or hide invisible & system files in the docked directory popup menus

Control the depth of hierarchical menus from the docked directory popup menus

& more...!

All features can be selected & applied independently

• Reply 4 of 7
    System Prefs -> Accounts -> (your account) -> Login Items...

read the text at the bottom of this panel.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    HI! It is erverything on

http://growl.info/documentation/hardwaregrowler.php

"Disabling the dock icon:

Because HG doesn't really have any user-interaction features, you may follow these steps to disable the dock icon. Navigate to wherever you placed HG and right-click on it and select "Show Package Contents." Open up contents and then right-click Info.plist. Highlight "Open With" and select TextEdit from the list (If TextEdit is not in the list, choose "Other..." and navigate to TextEdit and click "Open").

Paste the following just after <dict>:

<key>LSUIElement</key>

<true/>

Then save and exit the file. You can go ahead and close the "Contents" window now; you shouldn't be needing it any more. Now open up Terminal and type "touch " and drag the HG into Terminal and then hit enter. HG should now be set up to not appear in the dock."
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by adapmal View Post

HI! It is erverything on

http://growl.info/documentation/hardwaregrowler.php

"Disabling the dock icon:

Because HG doesn't really have any user-interaction features, you may follow these steps to disable the dock icon. Navigate to wherever you placed HG and right-click on it and select "Show Package Contents." Open up contents and then right-click Info.plist. Highlight "Open With" and select TextEdit from the list (If TextEdit is not in the list, choose "Other..." and navigate to TextEdit and click "Open").

Paste the following just after <dict>:

<key>LSUIElement</key>

<true/>

Then save and exit the file. You can go ahead and close the "Contents" window now; you shouldn't be needing it any more. Now open up Terminal and type "touch " and drag the HG into Terminal and then hit enter. HG should now be set up to not appear in the dock."

You are legend! Many thanks. That's been bugging me for a while now. I've since seen another site saying the same trick works for other apps.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    rezyhrezyh Posts: 1member
    You can solve this problem with a single terminal command:

sudo defaults write /Applications/HardwareGrowler.app/Contents/Info LSUIElement -bool true

Just open up terminal and copy paste that in there, put in your password, restart the application and it will be hidden from sight and mind.