network OSX to OS8.6?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Trying to network via ethernet an old PowerMac8600/250 (with OS8.6) to a more modern Mac (with Tiger running). It shows up on the network but I get the following message:

"This file server uses an incompatible version of the AFP protocol. You cannot connect to it."

Any ideas what I should do short of upgrade to OS 9.3?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bruvold

Trying to network via ethernet an old PowerMac8600/250 (with OS8.6) to a more modern Mac (with Tiger running). It shows up on the network but I get the following message:

"This file server uses an incompatible version of the AFP protocol. You cannot connect to it."

In network prefs on OSX enable Appletalk, stupid protocol, but it is what they used.

Just be thankfull it isnt ipx

Also, if the old mac is just a server, I would look into PPC linux and dump OS 8, hell even if it is a web/email unit, get linux as it is more up to date and uses standards.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:

Are you running OS X 10.4 or above? If you are then you will have a problem. You might want to try this Apple Knowledge Base Article and see if that helps. I'm trying to network an OS 9.1 machine right now to either an iMac G3 running OS 10.3.9 or an iMac G4 running 10.4.4. If I can get the time to do it this week, I'll reply back with the results...
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Hmmm ... sorry, I didn't see you were running a machine with Tiger on it. What are you networking for? File transfer, internet sharing, etc? I'm networking my 9.1 machine to do file transfers for my parents so they can move their quicken folder and documents to the G4, then we're selling the old PowerMac 6500/225 (any buyers... ). In any case, I'll let you know what happens now...
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Thanks everyone for your responses.

I figured that I wouldn't be able to make the network go (for file shareing) with the OS8.6 so I went ahead and upgraded to 9.1. (Although I wasn't able to get the thing to go to 9.2.2 for some reason- oh well.)

Anyhoo, that worked well enough even though I had to access the newer 'puter from the older one to make it go. Then, only a mere 4 gigs of file transfer later and I was done with this fun little puzzle!

Yikes, I'd almost completely forgotten how complicated extention conflicts and control panel setting used to be. I don't miss it a bit. Thanks Apple for OSX!
  • Reply 5 of 6
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

There is no MacOS 9.3.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Thanks everyone for your responses.

I figured that I wouldn't be able to make the network go (for file shareing) with the OS8.6 so I went ahead and upgraded to 9.1. (Although I wasn't able to get the thing to go to 9.2.2 for some reason- oh well.)

Anyhoo, that worked well enough even though I had to access the newer 'puter from the older one to make it go. Then, only a mere 4 gigs of file transfer later and I was done with this fun little puzzle!

Yikes, I'd almost completely forgotten how complicated extention conflicts and control panel setting used to be. I don't miss it a bit. Thanks Apple for OSX!

Glad you were able to make it work. Yeah, the old PowerMac I have wouldn't take 9.2.2 either. Who knows why... You might want to post your procedure here for others who may have the same problem later.

Glad to here it works though!