Where is the "Mac"?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I hope this has not been discussed before,if yes,my apologies.

There now is a MacBook Pro,most likely plain old MacBooks will follow.

The Mac Mini has been around for a while and Apple has recently filed a patent for "Mac Pro" (I believe so at least).

So...there is one obvious glaring gap: Mac.

Maybe this could be a new non-AIO mid-range desktop with some

expansibilty?

April 1st would be an interesting date for the launch.

What do you think?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    tubgirltubgirl Posts: 177member
    i think it would be too confusing...

after all, (almost) every computer apple has ever made has been called a 'mac'.

- what box are you running?

- a mac.

- cool. which mac?

- a mac!

- yes..?

- well, a 'mac-mac'.

- ahh...
  • Reply 2 of 14
    Precisely. The term 'Mac' refers to the entire platform and not an individual computer model on that platform.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nautical

Precisely. The term 'Mac' refers to the entire platform and not an individual computer model on that platform.

Well...it does now.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    I personally feel that the "Macintosh" line fits right in where the iMac is now, think about it, the original macintosh was in fact an all-in-one design. Unfortunately, this still leaves the mid-range tower market completely apple-free.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by tubgirl

i think it would be too confusing...

after all, (almost) every computer apple has ever made has been called a 'mac'.

- what box are you running?

- a mac.

- cool. which mac?

- a mac!

- yes..?

- well, a 'mac-mac'.

- ahh...

Good point;if the potential "Mac" product is advertised well,I don´t see a problem though.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by akheron01

I personally feel that the "Macintosh" line fits right in where the iMac is now, think about it, the original macintosh was in fact an all-in-one design. Unfortunately, this still leaves the mid-range tower market completely apple-free.

Specification wise,without a doubt;maybe it is just my own desire for a non AIO desktop Mac with upgrade options,but I somehow doubt that Apple is not aware of the gap in their lineup.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by atari

Specification wise,without a doubt;maybe it is just my own desire for a non AIO desktop Mac with upgrade options,but I somehow doubt that Apple is not aware of the gap in their lineup.

Although, I really don't see what's wrong with a low-spec powermac for that purpose
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Quote:

Although, I really don't see what's wrong with a low-spec powermac for that purpose

If you are refering to current models: They are too expensive for that purpose.

(--and btw. I own both a PowerMac G5 and an Intel IMac,I am thinking of present and future clients who are/might be intersted in deploying Macs but are put off by the selection Apple offers.)
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Maybe this would be a good idea for the anniversery coming up... Something affordable and expandable... I like it.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    synpsynp Posts: 248member
    Quote:

Too big

Too expensive
  • Reply 11 of 14
    In regards to the complaints about expense and the powermac being TOO much for their needs, try clicking on that red bow down towards the bottom of the Apple store
  • Reply 12 of 14
    drnatdrnat Posts: 142member
    I am wanting something with the power of the iMac and use a 30" screen with it - I have Emailed apple re this.

It would be nice but not sure they will?

Here's hoping....
  • Reply 13 of 14
    atariatari Posts: 22member
    Quote:

Originally posted by drnat

I am wanting something with the poser of the iMac and use a 30" screen with it - I have Emailed apple re this.

It would be nice but not sure they will?

Here's hoping....

Well,it´s always good to let them know what we want and we can always hope,can´t we? 8)
  • Reply 14 of 14
    I think it would be cool to see an anniversery Mac that was a totally new design. This will NEVER happen. IF Apple builds an anniversery machine, it will not doubt be built around the iMac. But it would be cool to have an upgradable tower that had more mid-range specs and price tag.

Once again, here's to hoping!

Cheers!