apple remote desktop

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
yeah i got the remote desktop and how would i connect to a pc computer. i have windows xp pro running on it. how can i view it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    fahlmanfahlman Posts: 740member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rise Above

yeah i got the remote desktop and how would i connect to a pc computer. i have windows xp pro running on it. how can i view it.

You're going to have to be more specific. Are the two computers on the same network or will you be accessing the Windows from across the Internet?
  • Reply 2 of 13
    alright i got four windows computers that are on a network hooked up to a gigabyte switch. all runing windows xp pro. on network.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    any help, quick.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    VNC?

For WinXP: www.realvnc.com

For Mac: Do a Sourceforge search for "vnc" "mac" You get plenty of reslts.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    yeah i got, installed and won't let me get in.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    pubguypubguy Posts: 108member
    "yeah i got the remote desktop and how would i connect to a pc computer. i have windows xp pro running on it. how can i view it."

If I understand you, you have your Mac on a network with WinXP computers and want to be able to access your WinXP computers from the Mac. If that is the case, if you WinXP computers have Microsoft's Remote Desktop installed, you can use the Free Microsoft Remote Desktop Client to connect to the XP machines from your Mac http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/8431. You just need to activate the Terminal Services or Remote Desktop Services.

Now, that's one way to do it.

Another way is to install a VNC server on your WinXP machine and connect to that from your Mac using Chicken of the VNC http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/9517. The VNC server that I like using on the Windows side is UltraVNC server. Its FREE and available here http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/win/56429.

In both cases, you will probably have to open the firewall ports on the XP machines to allow the connection to occur. I would recommending testing first with the software firewall disabled on the XP machines until you can establish a connection. Then activate and see if it still works. if not, you'll have to open the ports required. (VNC requires access via TCP 5900 - 5902).

Now, the next scenario is accessing your Mac from the WinXP machines. If you open your System Preferences - Sharing and enable Apple Remote Desktop, you need to place a check on Allow VNC and provide a VNC password and than enable your account to have full control. Next, you'll need a VNC client on the WinXP machine. Again, I prefer the FREE ultraVNC viewer at http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/win/56430. You can then connect to your Mac from you WinXP machine.

That should pretty much cover each of your scenarios. Good Luck!
  • Reply 7 of 13
    yeah apple remote desktop won't let me connect to the wintel. and i go the windows vnc for mac it works good. i have no firewall on and i left my setting default. i would like to have the remote desktop to work.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

yeah apple remote desktop won't let me connect to the wintel. and i go the windows vnc for mac it works good. i have no firewall on and i left my setting default. i would like to have the remote desktop to work.

Rise Above, I think unless you can take the time to BE SPECIFIC AND THOROUGH and say what it is that your problem is, you are not going to be successful in getting it solved. We can't take the time to ask 47 questions to finally understand what your issue is.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Uhhh did you turn on Remote Desktop in Windows XP? Right click on "My Computer" select "Properties", click on the tab "Remote", check "Allow users to connect remotely to this computer". Note that the user used to login remotely will have to have the password enabled.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

Rise Above, I think unless you can take the time to BE SPECIFIC AND THOROUGH and say what it is that your problem is, you are not going to be successful in getting it solved. We can't take the time to ask 47 questions to finally understand what your issue is.

Yeah, saying "please" and "thank you" won't hurt either
  • Reply 11 of 13
    If I understand the situation correctly you have Apple Remote Desktop on your Mac and would like to use ARD to interact with your PCs that are on the same LAN.

You need to install a VNC server on the PCs because I do not think that ARD will work with Microsoft's Remote Desktop Connection (RDC). Any Windows compatible VNC server will do. You'll need to open port 5900 in the firewall (assuming it's on) on your PC. I assume that you have properly configured your mac to work, if not let me know. ARD will not work on port 5901, 5902, etc. ARD will only work on 5900. Only VNC capabilities will work. If you use ARD to administer Mac(s) and are familiar with a lot of is features such as pushing files, make reports, etc they will not work because those are only available when using Apple's built in ARD server and are not supported by the VNC protocol.

If you have any questions let me know.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    alright i final am able to connect to the windows system. but i have no view, just a blank screen appears. what to do. any special set up.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Quote:

alright i final am able to connect to the windows system. but i have no view, just a blank screen appears. what to do. any special set up.

Try a different VNC server.