Analyst predicts iBooks, touch-screen iPod at event in April

Comments

• Reply 21 of 233
    Apple also has a patent where the whole screen functions as a camera. Now wouldn't it be cool if the new iPod is also capable of doing photo's/video through this screen? That and a cell-phone and I'm a happy camper.
  • Reply 22 of 233
    Please, please, please add a slide out keyboard like the OQO and make it run OSX. ;-)

With rumours of Intel's Ruby handheld PC platform being ready for release soon from ASUS (the company that builds Apple's laptops), perhaps this is isn't so far from reality.
  • Reply 23 of 233
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    "Analyst predicts"

That get's more funny every time I see it. "Analyst predicts" How many times have you seen that line of sh*t?
  • Reply 24 of 233
    Gee folks...

- card slots

- hidden (behind screen camera)

- slide out keyboard

- runs OS X

This is going to be the most expensive Swiss Army Knife(tm) ever.

• Reply 25 of 233
    xflarexflare Posts: 199member
    Quote:

Originally posted by minderbinder

The ipod sounds cool...but please for God's sake, I do NOT want to see the core solo in any apple machines. At the very least, limit it to one cheapo model of the ibook but have duo configs available as well.

The solo version isn't much faster than a G4, the speed boost comes primarily from the dual cores.

Yes, can you imagine Rosetta running on one of those machines?
  • Reply 26 of 233
    i have a word for you (2 actually):

Batt Life

a much bigger screen would eat the batt for breakfast, and if it has to have real video capabilities, this ipod better have no less than 5 hour batt playing VIDEO.

this thing is going to be THICK to make room for such a fat battery.

and now that you're at it, please apple, include a stylus and a mini osx version, so this new ipod turns into the newton we're all been waiting for years.
  • Reply 27 of 233
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

Gee folks...

- card slots

- hidden (behind screen camera)

- slide out keyboard

- runs OS X

This is going to be the most expensive Swiss Army Knife(tm) ever.

Also: it must include a video projector or Apple will go out of business.
  • Reply 28 of 233
    Quote:

Originally posted by xflare

Thats a good point actually - apple may be forced into using dual core as the performance of any rosetta apps would be shocking using the solo.
  • Reply 29 of 233
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

"Analyst predicts"

That get's more funny every time I see it. "Analyst predicts" How many times have you seen that line of sh*t?

When you run out of actual inside sources for rumors, your next best bet are analysts. They're just about the same, but know a little less.

Maybe this site should change to "AppleAnalyst"
  • Reply 30 of 233
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

I know it would make too much sense.

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/c...s&oid=49164278

Epson P-2000

$499.99

Download, Store, and View photos, video and music

40GB Hard Drive with 3.8" LCD with Epson Photo Fine Technology

Download directly using two built-in memory card slots

Apple could soooo do this. Imagine capturing the portable video and Photography enthusiasts in one product!

ABSOLUTELY! I bet Apple's uber-hip marketing will take cues (finally) from epson, naming it the P-2000!

GUYS! I just got the new P 2000 !!!!
  • Reply 31 of 233
    octaneoctane Posts: 157member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tripdragon

wheres my tablet ! * ! Oh please apple please http://mrl.nyu.edu/~jhan/ftirtouch/

hurry up apps

DAMN, I want one of those, I don't care how much, where can I get one?
  • Reply 32 of 233
    Quote:

Originally posted by jivebaby

When will people get that the dual core chip is too expensive for the ibook line?

Oh? When will people get that the Duo and solo barely differ in price?

Intel Core Duo Processor\tT2300\tDual 1.66 GHz\t$241

Intel Core Solo Processor\tT1300\tSingle 1.66 GHz\t$209

32 dollars more puts it out of the price range? And you do realize that the high end iBook is only $200 less than the low end powerbook, right? I'm not saying they should make ALL iBooks, the duo, but it should at least be available on the pricier models.

With price differences that small, I don't know why any company would want to use the Solo.

Quote:

Originally posted by xflare

Bingo. The duo is not just a great speed bump, but practially necessary to help with the slowness of rosetta.
  • Reply 33 of 233
    octaneoctane Posts: 157member
    Of course that line of thinking assumes the processor is the only place there is added cost when using a duo instead of solo
  • Reply 34 of 233
    have u ever seen those mirrors with the TV screens in them? They look like a mirror until turned on. I was thinking that what apple could do is have the front look exactly the same with a real click wheel, not a touch screen, and then on the back also have it look the same with them etal plating, but when a video plays, it plays on the back and the metal reveals a widescreen screen. That would be the most elegant way that i can think of apple doing this whole video thing. And it would be UBER awesome.
  • Reply 35 of 233

So, jivebaby, what kind of music do you record?
  • Reply 36 of 233
    jccbinjccbin Posts: 476member
    here's a quick lil movie (80k) I made for the iPod video. Yeah, the timing is off, but the idea you can get.

Note: This is a mock up, not news.

Superman Returns iPod Video
  • Reply 37 of 233
    I understand that with current iPods, to reset the device you hold menu and select. How would you do something like this with a touch screen device? Are there touch screens that can detect more than one finger at a time? If not, do you think Apple would put other buttons to do resets and enter diagnostic mode?
  • Reply 38 of 233
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dansgil

I understand that with current iPods, to reset the device you hold menu and select. How would you do something like this with a touch screen device? Are there touch screens that can detect more than one finger at a time? If not, do you think Apple would put other buttons to do resets and enter diagnostic mode?

Even if it could detect two fingers at time, it wouldn't because most often you need to reset it because the system isn't responding. They better add a switch, because I have to reset my 30GB Black iPod at least once every two weeks. Maybe the trick to resetting a touch-screen iPod will be to soak it in warm water?
  • Reply 39 of 233
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:

Originally posted by minderbinder

Oh? When will people get that the Duo and solo barely differ in price?

Intel Core Duo Processor\tT2300\tDual 1.66 GHz\t$241

Intel Core Solo Processor\tT1300\tSingle 1.66 GHz\t$209

32 dollars more puts it out of the price range? And you do realize that the high end iBook is only $200 less than the low end powerbook, right? I'm not saying they should make ALL iBooks, the duo, but it should at least be available on the pricier models.

With price differences that small, I don't know why any company would want to use the Solo.

minderbinder, Apple's currently using the lowest-clocked Core Duo chip available in the $1999 MacBook Pro. If they put that same chip in the $1499 and $1,299 price ranges, what's going to make the $1999 MacBook Pro worth that much to a buyer? Especially when you factor in the rumored 13" 1280x800 screen the iBooks will be getting, there isn't anything else that could justify the $600 price difference. And I highly doubt Apple's going to drop the 15" MacBook Pro price by hundreds of dollars the month after it starts shipping in quantity.

Apple's selling the 15" MacBook Pro for too much for them to be able to use anything but a Core Solo in the iBooks.
  • Reply 40 of 233
    Quote:

Originally posted by octane

Of course that line of thinking assumes the processor is the only place there is added cost when using a duo instead of solo

What other costs are there? I was under the impression that the duo and solo were pin compatible, meaning no MB or other changes are necessary. Power and heat isn't supposed to differ much between the two either. From what I've heard, it sounds like you could even take a solo machine and swap the chip yourself, assuming they didn't solder it on (like they guy in japan did with the imac).

Quote:

Originally posted by Cory Bauer

minderbinder, Apple's currently using the lowest-clocked Core Duo chip available in the $1999 MacBook Pro. If they put that same chip in the $1499 and $1,299 price ranges, what's going to make the $1999 MacBook Pro worth that much to a buyer?

Apple needs to differentiate with other features like they always have. Screens, drive/memory/optical configuration, case design, ethernet, bundled wireless, card slots etc.

Not to mention that there will be more chips available by the time the solos ship. With the G4 ibooks/powerbooks Apple didn't have different chips to differentiate. What's wrong with MPB with 2.2 dual and MB (formerly ibook) at 1.6 dual?

Also, we don't know that there will be a 12 or 13" macbookpro, the smaller one may be the MB with the 15 and 17 for the MBP. Also, who's to say there won't be a price drop on the MBP's down the road when the MB's ship?

I don't think it makes any sense to intentionally cripple lower end models for no good reason. After all, they're not just competing with themselves, they will also be competing with PC makers shipping lower end laptops.