New iBooks

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Want a laptop badly. Have been hoping that the new iBooks might get a core duo chip, but that looks extremely unlikely. May just have to go ahead and order a MacBook pro.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    thanks for sharing.

how bad you want it? -- too much to wait until march or april?
  • Reply 2 of 22
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Originally posted by icibaqu

thanks for sharing.

how bad you want it? -- too much to wait until march or april?

I think I can wait until March, maybe April. The wait makes some sense as MacBook Pros aren't even shipping yet. The one downside to switching to Intel is they are rolling out a lot of products this year. Hopefully I'll get the right one for me and not have buyer's remorse/envy 6 weeks later.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    What is the point of this thread...? O_o
  • Reply 4 of 22
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    ...and how is this future hardware?

fyi: Future Harware is for Apple's future hardware not your future hardware...

For that go to general discussion, etc.

Thanks for playing. Now, can we get a LOCK?
  • Reply 5 of 22
    icibaquicibaqu Posts: 278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by backtomac

The one downside to switching to Intel is they are rolling out a lot of products this year.

sorry, but LOL.

yeah, new products -- that SUUUUUUUUCKS
  • Reply 6 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by icibaqu

sorry, but LOL.

yeah, new products -- that SUUUUUUUUCKS

Hey don't b*tch when merom or conroe arrive and your Yonah doesn't look as sweet.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    As far as the "Future Hardware" comment T'hain Esh Kelch, the post was addressing BOTH Apple's future hardware, as well as the user's future hardware... Go ahead and change your Tampon and start posting in other forums. Just because it doesn't make sense or matter to you, doesn't mean that it doesn't matter to the person who posted it, so chill.

Thank you, have a good morning. Oh! And in case I don't see you, "Good afternoon, good evening and goodnight."

• Reply 8 of 22
    Originally posted by opnsource

... Go ahead and change your Tampon ...

ouch.

on topic:

imho the iBook is very likely to be updated with intel core solo within the next 5 months.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

Originally posted by opnsource

... Go ahead and change your Tampon ...

ouch.

on topic:

imho the iBook is very likely to be updated with intel core solo within the next 5 months.

Hey sunilraman what's uuuuuuuup, nice prediction by the way, it's like saying the sun is most likely going to set within the next 12 hours. Anyway do you think the iBook will weigh less then a brick, won't scratch when you stare at it, need a motherboard replacement every 6 months and not look so queerish this time around?
  • Reply 10 of 22
    Originally posted by Relic

Hey sunilraman what's uuuuuuuup, nice prediction by the way, it's like saying the sun is most likely going to set within the next 12 hours. Anyway do you think the iBook will weigh less then a brick, won't scratch when you stare at it, need a motherboard replacement every 6 months and not look so queerish this time around?

You mock me, sir? Behold the beauty that is the iBook evolved - lighter, faster, smaller, stronger, better - the MacBook.

• Reply 11 of 22
    well my iBook g4 933mhz is a little heavy, is totally grubby (pearly white is a long lost memory) and the hitachi hard disk died recently (luckily several months ago i modded in a western digital 5400rpm drive so the iBook LIVES! and THRIVES!)

despite some drawbacks the iBook is a workhorse beyond its anticipated use by date. and no spyware, adware, malware, or other bollocks. no pentium M pee cee laptop for me, with that fantabulous 915GM GMA9shite graphics power* and 4200rpm drives

but yeah there is room for improvement. May the MacBook bring such improvements. including FINALLY WIDESCREEN for heaven's sake.

*okay okay so the GMA900 might be faster than the mobility 9200 in the older iBooks......
  • Reply 12 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

Originally posted by Relic

You mock me, sir? Behold the beauty that is the iBook evolved - lighter, faster, smaller, stronger, better - the MacBook.

I've never been to keen on the white iBook. That is a sharp looking book to me. Hope they offer a version with core duo.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    baygbmbaygbm Posts: 147member
    An ibook is sure to be my next Mac but I still use a lot of OS9 applications. I wouldn?t mind running them more slowly in emulation but hate the thought of not being able to take them with me with the intel iBook.

Is there any hope for us OS9 fans who want an intel Mac?
  • Reply 14 of 22
    I too was going to wait for the MacBooks but I can't wait past May because my wife will not qualify for her education discount after she graduates in May.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    re: Solo vs Duo in iBook, from the new Intel pricelist:

http://www.intel.com/intel/finance/pricelist/

there will only be a US$32 difference between Duo and Solo @ 1.67 Ghz. Marketing-wise, Apple will probably go Solo (differentiate from Pro), but for only $32 more, wouldn't it be nice to have a Duo iBook?

Duo - T2300 (2M L2 cache 1.66 GHz 667 MHz FSB 65nm) - $241

Solo - T1300 (2M L2 cache 1.66 GHz 667 MHz FSB 65nm) - $209
  • Reply 16 of 22
    If you need to run classic apps on the intel macs, you have to use an emulator and run OS 9 in a seperate window. By example sheepshaver ( http://sheepshaver.cebix.net/ ), which is free. I have no experience with it, so I can't comment on speed, ease of use and setup etc.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by imiloa

re: Solo vs Duo in iBook, from the new Intel pricelist:

http://www.intel.com/intel/finance/pricelist/

there will only be a US$32 difference between Duo and Solo @ 1.67 Ghz. Marketing-wise, Apple will probably go Solo (differentiate from Pro), but for only $32 more, wouldn't it be nice to have a Duo iBook?

What is the price of the current iBook chips?
  • Reply 18 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

What is the price of the current iBook chips?

I could've swore I saw it in an ars column and it was $75. Alas I cannot produce the link.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by imiloa

i'm guessing the celeron-m 4xx will be somewhere $100-$150-ish when it's finally released.

thats a more reasonable price for a consumer cpu imo.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by tubgirl

i'm guessing the celeron-m 4xx will be somewhere $100-$150-ish when it's finally released.

thats a more reasonable price for a consumer cpu imo.

How will that compare to the existing g4. The core duos look at least 2xs faster than the g4, maybe more. If prices are the same or close, within 15%, then IMO that would represent real value in purchasing an intel iBook. If the celeron makes it into the intel iBook and only enhances performance by 30 or 40%, I'll probably go with a MacBook pro.