I don´t believe in IQ

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    130 in half the time but this is just stupid.
  • Reply 22 of 47
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by soulcrusher

130 in half the time but this is just stupid.

SO thats why you did it?
  • Reply 23 of 47
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    So intelligence = pattern recognition?
  • Reply 24 of 47
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    heh. check out the ad at the bottom of this page while i was browsing. how apt though i wonder what that iq test is like ...

• Reply 25 of 47
    yoseyose Posts: 62member
    I had a true educational assessment done back in November. I've had them done at various times of my life since I was confirmed as a gifted learning disabled student. They can take many hours to complete and so much of the results are determined by how the one administering the test interprets your responses/actions.

My full-scale IQ result is 125; however, this is deceiving in my case because my language based skills actually score around 110 while my non-verbal reasoning skills score 140+. So like I said, my full-scale score underemphasizes some of my skills and over emphasizes others, and therefore really isn't very useful.

If you ever get the chance to have the assessment, I recommend it, especially if you live in a place or goto a school that will pay for it.

Cheers,

PS. 100 is average. The scale has something to do with relationships, 110 being the 75th percentile, 125 being the 90th.. etc etc. Somebody who knows more could explain it properly.
  • Reply 26 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by mattyj

So intelligence = pattern recognition?

That is what modern our modern interpretation of intelligence has become.
  • Reply 27 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by Yose

PS. 100 is average. The scale has something to do with relationships, 110 being the 75th percentile, 125 being the 90th.. etc etc. Somebody who knows more could explain it properly.

Not quite:

The distribution is some specific form of the gaussian curve ( I am not sure the exactly equation, but a list from this site is as follows).

Code:

IQ Percentile

65 01

70 02

75 05

80 09

85 16

90 25

95 37

100 50

105 63

110 75

115 84

120 91

125 95

130 98

135 99

If I was keen, I would plot these parameters and get the particular constant of the gaussian, but I don't care.
  • Reply 28 of 47
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hardeeharhar

If I was keen, I would plot these parameters and get the particular constant of the gaussian, but I don't care.

I think you mean "If my IQ were high enough, I would plot these in my head and put them in a row with fake versions, not tell you what they were, and ask you to find a pattern."
  • Reply 29 of 47
    the higher the score the more you think like the person that made the test.
  • Reply 30 of 47
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Not quite:

The distribution is some specific form of the gaussian curve ( I am not sure the exactly equation, but a list from this site is as follows).

IQ is on a normal (gaussian) curve, with a mean of 100 and a standard deviation of 15 or sometimes 16. That means that if you have a score of 130, you're two standard deviations above the mean, or in the top 2% of the population - that's a characteristic of all normal curves. That's why I always enjoy looking at people's scores on these internet discussions - 90% of people are in the top 5% of the population.
  • Reply 31 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

IQ is on a normal (gaussian) curve, with a mean of 100 and a standard deviation of 15 or sometimes 16. That means that if you have a score of 130, you're two standard deviations above the mean, or in the top 2% of the population - that's a characteristic of all normal curves. That's why I always enjoy looking at people's scores on these internet discussions - 90% of people are in the top 5% of the population.

Maybe you know this, why is the standard deviation 15%?

Has any one actually done a broad cross population analysis other than looking for the average?

The standard deviation could be 20% or 5%, why 15%?
  • Reply 32 of 47
    Quote:

Maybe you know this, why is the standard deviation 15%?

Has any one actually done a broad cross population analysis other than looking for the average?

The standard deviation could be 20% or 5%, why 15%?

It's 15 for the same reason the mean is 100: It's just set that way in order to communicate results easily. You could transform the numbers into something else and it wouldn't make any difference. The (old) SATs and GREs have means of 500 and standard deviations of 100 per section. Some IQ tests are set to have a standard deviation of 16. It's just playing with numbers and doesn't have any empirical basis. (It's actually not 15%, it's 15 points.)

Same with the mean - the 100 is completely artificial. In fact, IQ scores have gone up significantly over the past several decades (it's called the Flynn effect). But it's constantly re-centered so the mean stays 100 regardless. It's like we just can't get any smarter.
  • Reply 33 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

It's 15 for the same reason the mean is 100: It's just set that way in order to communicate results easily. You could transform the numbers into something else and it wouldn't make any difference. The (old) SATs and GREs have means of 500 and standard deviations of 100 per section. Some IQ tests are set to have a standard deviation of 16. It's just playing with numbers and doesn't have any empirical basis. (It's actually not 15%, it's 15 points.)

Same with the mean - the 100 is completely artificial. In fact, IQ scores have gone up significantly over the past several decades (it's called the Flynn effect). But it's constantly re-centered so the mean stays 100 regardless. It's like we just can't get any smarter.

Um, it makes no sense that they set a standard deviation. Given a large sample of test takers, a standard deviation will arise, but you cannot set that deviation a priori. If you try to do so, you artificially force a population to distribute itself about the mean in artificial ways...
  • Reply 34 of 47
    Well that's what they do. It's not empirical, it's just data transformation. If you get a standard deviation of 30, you divide by 2 and then add 50 to make the mean 100 again, et voila. You could set the standard deviation to 25 if you wanted, or pi, or whatever. Some tests set it to 16. It's merely convention, so everyone knows what a score means in percentile terms.
  • Reply 35 of 47
    So the concept of IQ as a multiplicative relationship to average at a certain age has been abandoned for this percentile?
  • Reply 36 of 47
    Quote:

So the concept of IQ as a multiplicative relationship to average at a certain age has been abandoned for this percentile?

Yes definitely. It's not a mental age/chronological age "quotient" any longer.
  • Reply 37 of 47
    Our own little bell curve is starting to look like an inverse bell curve.
  • Reply 38 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carson O'Genic

Our own little bell curve is starting to look like an inverse bell curve.

Yeah, I always look for threads like this because they always amuse me. I don't know if the tests are biased, or people are just lying, or only people who do well report their results, or what. But the scores are always absurdly high.
  • Reply 39 of 47
    Given the shape of our curve... the average IQ on the boards is 160...

heheheh...
  • Reply 40 of 47
    Okay, so only a little better than "normal" at 110. But I also had about 20 minutes to go. I get bored taking these tests. I either see it or I don't and I don't have much patience for working it out.

\