Info about Merom and Woodcrest chips

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    If Apple can keep their inventory in check it could happen. And that is highly possible. They are always short on products, and it could be on purpose, but they can not go short when they go intel because new (new to Mac) customers will buy something else rather than wait for an iPod. If they would have had more iPods ready again at XMAS this season they would have had much higher sales. Not that sales were bad, but that is not the point. You are not going to gain ground in market share if they are short, and if their market share in consumer, and business computers doesn't suffice they'll have inventory overflow. I'll let them worry about it. Chances are they will update more often within the next few years, but I wouldn't expect it to happen overnight, or even immediately after the whole line is on intel. But then again; Apple may see that as a reasonable, and acceptable inventory management strategy through a transitional period to gain ground in new markets. Like I said anything is possible / "it could happen". But they wont ever update 4 product lines every three months.
  • Reply 22 of 38
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    I totally disagree.

When Apple decided to transition to Intel it meant that they are now beholden to Intel's schedule for chip upgrades and price decreases.

Intel routinely has quarterly price cuts and Apple will indeed have to respond quicker than once every 9 months because there isn't the illusion of PPC anymore. If you know that an Intel microprocessor was just lowered by %30 and Apple is still selling it at full boat then you certainly aren't going to buy.

Inventory isn't an issue because like Dell Apple won't purchase certain items that fluctuate in price in quantity. They'll look for the best deals and those deals will be the price discounts from Intel.

I look for routine speed bumps every 6-8 months and microprocessor changes every couple of years. The speed bumps will be small but with such frequent updates consumers will be less inclined to hold off purchases.
  • Reply 23 of 38
    gsxrboygsxrboy Posts: 565member
    Yerp, and also, doesnt Apple brag about having industry leading inventory management?
  • Reply 24 of 38
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

I totally disagree.

I look for routine speed bumps every 6-8 months

That's a far cry from 4 product lines every three months.

Apple used to update the PowerMac every 8 months or so back when processors were readily available so that's not too far of a stretch either for being in total disagreement.
  • Reply 25 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by Thereubster

These things have low multipliers, the fastest Conroe is only 10x.. even the G4 can improve on that... and the Athlon64 is up to what, 14x? Not really that impressive.

You do realise that a low multiplier is a good thing?
  • Reply 26 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by Elixir

i hope its not that soon. =(

my macbook pro better not be outdated that quickly

Welcome to the fast moving world of x86 processors where only weeks after buying your computer a faster machine will be available for the same price. Or you could have saved a lot of money by just holding off on your purchase for a few weeks.

Once Apple have gone entirely Intel, I'd expect Macs to be updated to the latest processors as they become available from Intel. Many have said the iBook and Mini would use previous generation processors i.e. when Merom comes they'll still use Yonah but I expect them to move over to low end Merom CPU's soon after the iMac and Pros move over i.e within a month/6 weeks.
  • Reply 27 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Intel routinely has quarterly price cuts and Apple will indeed have to respond quicker than once every 9 months because there isn't the illusion of PPC anymore. If you know that an Intel microprocessor was just lowered by %30 and Apple is still selling it at full boat then you certainly aren't going to buy.

Completely agree. I don't see Apple dropping prices but popping in a faster CPU. If a faster CPU isn't available, I'd expect then maybe we'd see a price drop but perhaps Apple would add other value to the package to keep the price higher.
  • Reply 28 of 38
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

Hopefully Steve won't make that promise (forever putting a curse on Intel.)

Too late. WHen he signed the dotted lne with Intel he sealed their fate.
  • Reply 29 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

This is one of the most ignorant statements I have read in these forums. Intel's "fate" is to manufacture chips for both sides and continue to battle with AMD to be the biggest chip manufacturer in the world.

This relationship is in no way a bad thing.
  • Reply 30 of 38
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Read the post again (and notice the word "curse")
  • Reply 31 of 38
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cosmos 1999

MEROM

- T5600 @ 1.83 GHz, FSB 667 MHz, 4 MB L2 (single-core)

- T7200 @ 2.00 GHz, FSB 667 MHz, 4 MB L2 (dual-core)

- T7400 @ 2.16 GHz, FSB 667 MHz, 4 MB L2 (dual-core)

- T7600 @ 2.33 GHz, FSB 667 MHz, 4 MB L2 (dual-core)

That's...reassuring to my desire to buy a MacBook Pro. It sounds like Merom isn't going to be a huge step up, aside from 64 bit-ness. I think 2 GB (practically) to 8 GB (theoretically) of RAM ought to hold me for a few years. I guess the smallish clock boost makes sense, seeing as how Yonah isn't even shipping at 2.16/2.33 yet.

Now when are those damn MacBooks gonna start appearing already?
  • Reply 32 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by Towel

That's...reassuring to my desire to buy a MacBook Pro. It sounds like Merom isn't going to be a huge step up, aside from 64 bit-ness. I think 2 GB (practically) to 8 GB (theoretically) of RAM ought to hold me for a few years. I guess the smallish clock boost makes sense, seeing as how Yonah isn't even shipping at 2.16/2.33 yet.

Now when are those damn MacBooks gonna start appearing already?

buuuuuuuuuuuuuttt..... if Intels yakking about 30% increase in performance for the same clock speed is genuine then merom should be quite a deal better for a small increase in effective clock over yonah. October(ish) 2006 should be a nice time for MBP's.
  • Reply 33 of 38
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Where is my 17" MacPad Pro...?!?

;^p
  • Reply 34 of 38
    Quote:

Read the post again (and notice the word "curse")

Sorry, Anders. Got a little carried away. I'm not used to having people talk about Apple and processors without making dumb comments(i.e. my PC loving friends).
  • Reply 35 of 38
    Quote:

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/02...oadmap_feb_06/

Opps !

and doh !!!

*wants merom powered MBP as soon as possible*
  • Reply 36 of 38
    shadowshadow Posts: 373member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gsxrboy

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/02...oadmap_feb_06/

Opps !

and doh !!!

*wants merom powered MBP as soon as possible*

I am not an expert on Intel radmaps, but I followed the link above, then the link to the original source (Chinese):

link (click on pictures on the site to enlarge)

The roadmaps start from Y2004 and end at Q1 Y2007. This seems like outdated roadmap to me.
  • Reply 37 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by mjteix

The information above was taken from the inquirer web site.

I found some details on Conroe as well:

CHIP GIANT Intel has told its server customers of a range of processors in Q3...

E6700 2.67GHz dual core, 1066 FSB, 4MB of cache, $529

E6600 2.40GHz dual core, 1066 FSB, 4MB of cache, $315

E6400 2.13GHz dual core, 1066 FSB, 2MB of cache, $240

E6300 1.86GHz dual core, 1066 FSB, 2MB of cache, $210

You could now add to Conroe Series upon initial launch:

- a top-of-the-line Conroe XE (Extreme Edition): specifications unknown yet

- a bottom-line E4200: 1.60 GHz, 800 FSB, 2 MB shared L2 cache
  • Reply 38 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jootec from Mars

Welcome to the fast moving world of x86 processors where only weeks after buying your computer a faster machine will be available for the same price. Or you could have saved a lot of money by just holding off on your purchase for a few weeks.

The problem is that, in the slow-moving world of G4s and G5s, a faster machine was always available for the same price weeks after you bought yours. It just wasn't a Mac.