Troubles with new iMac

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I just got a new 20" Intel iMac and I am having the worst time getting my data across to this new computer from my old G5 iMac.

I initially tried a migration via firewire and one of the users I transferred worked well but my user ran like crap and my iphoto library didn't transfer. So I deleted that one user and tried to do it again, I got the same results.

So I then tried to manually do a backup onto DVD's through .mac Backup program. When I put the DVD's into my new iMac and try to do the restore it just does nothing and says successful restore.

Now when I go into my iPhoto on my old iMac it says I have opened the iPhoto library on a newer version of iPhoto and it just quits! This is on my old iMac G5! I really do not know what to do.

Please advise!

Zenatek

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    The other thing that is happening is sometimes the volume control on the keyboard wont work while everthing else on the keyboard does.

Sometimes the keyboard just doesnt work until you unplug it and plug it back in, same thing with the mouse.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Hey, no problem ... I just went through the same thing with an old iMac G4 to a new iMac G5. It's relatively pain free to use target disk mode and drag everything over. A few things you may find helpful for moving large chunks of data (iTunes, iPhoto, your documents, etc.) ...

1) If you haven't added anything new to your new computer (like created new files and such) I'd advise you to go ahead and use the system restore disk to bring the new iMac back to its original factory state. If you have created new files, back them up to disk or something, we'll worry about those later.

2) Run software update on both machines and make sure your running the same version of all your programs if possible. It'll help a lot if you're running the same version of the OS and programs like iTunes, iPhoto.

3) Run your FireWire cable between the two machines and and restart the older iMac while you hold down the "T" key. (you should hold it until you see a big FW logo on the screen that just floats around - this means your old iMac is in Target Disk Mode). You should see whatever partitions from the old G5 mounted on the desktop of the new G5 within a few second.

4) From here on out its up to you. You're at liberty to drag what you want to the new machine. For iPhoto, find your users folder on the old G5, and migrate to the the pictures folder. Drag the entire folder that says "iPhoto Library" over to the pictures folder on the new computer.

5) While it's transferring your photos, migrate to your old music folder, find the iTunes folder. In that folder there will be three critical things you'll need to move: a library.xml file, a itunes library data file and your music folder itself. Drag these into the iTunes folder on your new iMac.

6) The next critical thing you need to do is move over your library. Go to useres/~/library on the old G5 and select everything in the folder (this will include application support files and your preferences) and drag those folders to the Users/~/Library folder on the new G5. It is important that you move this stuff to the right place. There are like 3 library folders and you want to get your user files into the correct one, so make sure you're dumping them into the library folder that is in your users home folder.

7) After those three folders (iPhoto, iTunes and Library) have transferred, you probably want to repair your disk permissions through disk utility and the restart your new iMac. It will automatically mount the partitions from the older computer when it starts up.

8) Now its all you. Your documents you can drag over, etc, etc until you have all of the files you need off the older computer. When all the FILES have been transferred, then you can start worrying about applications and things such as mail, iChat, Address Book, etc.

Let me know how the first part goes and we'll go from there ... if you have Office or Adobe installed on the older compiuter, I'd strongly advise not transferring them, but just reinstalling them. I moved Office over and it was really buggy to the point of where I had to just unintall it and reinstall it from the disk. Photoshop was the same way. Good luck to you...
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Great information, I will try this when I get home from work.

The other issue I am having is that the keyboard and mouse on the new computer will just all of the sudden not work, and you must unplug them to get them to work.

Sometimes the keyboard will work but the volume control does not work at all, but the new remote does.

My screen appears to be faulty to. When the screen is black the lighting on it is very uneven and it is quite light in the bottom left corner.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by zenatek

Great information, I will try this when I get home from work.

The other issue I am having is that the keyboard and mouse on the new computer will just all of the sudden not work, and you must unplug them to get them to work.

Sometimes the keyboard will work but the volume control does not work at all, but the new remote does.

My screen appears to be faulty to. When the screen is black the lighting on it is very uneven and it is quite light in the bottom left corner.

Awesome ... let me know how it turns out!

As for the keyboard / screen issues, I would consider giving AppleCare a call and asking if it is a known issue. The first iMac G5 I bought had to go back to the store because of dead pixels. They plugged it in, saw that I was right, and brought out a brand new one.

If you bought a wireless set-up, you may want to use a wired keyboard / mouse till everything is moved over. If it's already wired, then that's weird. Maybe restoring the iMac to its defaults will help this issue, but the screen is what I'm most concerned about.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Well tranferring the data that way worked much better and this computer is so much faster!

The keyboard problem appears to be a fault of the keyboard.

I have decided to live with the screen issue, its only visable when the screen is completly black and I am not going to send this back and wait another 4 weeks to get a replacement. I can't do it after playing with all the new toys.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by zenatek

Well tranferring the data that way worked much better and this computer is so much faster!

The keyboard problem appears to be a fault of the keyboard.

I have decided to live with the screen issue, its only visable when the screen is completly black and I am not going to send this back and wait another 4 weeks to get a replacement. I can't do it after playing with all the new toys.

Glad to hear that. Is everything transferred over now? The only thing you might have to do is manually adjust your systems prefs back to where they were before and if you have an OS X Mail account, you might have to enter the account again. You have a year warranty on the machine, so if you decide to do something about the screen, you do have a year to take care of it. In any case, let me know if you need help moving anything else over!
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Thanks for the help, I did have to manually set up my other preferences but thats ok. The speed difference between manually coping files and the migration assitant is worth it.

I have applecare too so i actually have more then one year to complain