Second Video Card

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Good Evening --

I have a Dual 2.0 Powermac G5, it already has a video card with two DVI ports on it, but I would like add another card. It can be two DVI ports, but I really only need one. I don't play games, I don't edit movies much, so it doesn't need to be anything special. Currently on my desk I have a 20" cinema display, a 17" sony monitor (both going to the mac) and a dell laptop. I also have a second monitor for the dell wall mounted to the left of the desktop, I want to connect the second input on that (DVI) the mac so I can put up a DVD or TV show on it. I don't consider this to be requiring a great video card, but I don't want something crappy.

Any suggestions on brand/model's I should choose?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Dual core, or dual processor?
  • Reply 2 of 11
    i'm going to make a blind judgement and say that you have a PCI-X model with the AGP slot. The only card you could really get is an ATi Radeon 9250 Mac Edition PCI. (www.ati.com, probably cheaper elsewhere)
  • Reply 3 of 11
    If I recall there has been three releases of the powermac g5 line, mine if from the second. I purchased it September 2005 new from the Apple Store. The only powermac release since then I have seen in the line with Quad 2.5.

System Profiler says Model: Powermac7,3 and CPU PowerMac G5 (3.0). The current graphics card is a radeon 9600 (AGP).

Does the model you listed still apply as the only option?
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Yes, the 9250 is your only option.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Is there a 9250 for Mac and a 9250 for PC or are they the same thing?
  • Reply 6 of 11
    There's a separately sold card for Mac.

It MIGHT be possible to reflash a PC card to work on Mac, but that's risky. I would just buy the Mac version.

Remember, if it doesn't say "Mac Edition", it won't work.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Any idea where to buy the mac 9250 online?
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Where are you located?
  • Reply 9 of 11
    United States -- Florida
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Just Google "Radeon 9200 Mac Edition", then...you'll find a whole bunch of sites that sell it.