New Full screen iPod

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    just out of interest have you ever read the posting guidelines?

Quote:

Do not post a link or quote an article while contributing little to nothing of your own.

stu
  • Reply 2 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by stustanley

stu

Cut him a little slack.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Im not sure if this has been brought up, but if the iPods screen is a touch screen, wouldnt there be a circular pattern worn into the screen after time where the scroll wheel is?

i wouldnt want a circle smeered on my screen
  • Reply 4 of 15
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cato988

Im not sure if this has been brought up, but if the iPods screen is a touch screen, wouldnt there be a circular pattern worn into the screen after time where the scroll wheel is?

I wouldn't either. I honestly don't see an iPod emerging with the touchscreen form factor that's floating around. If anything, I think the screen will be bigger, turned sideways, with controls somewhere on the device (at the right side?) akin to the Front Row remote. If it works for Front Row, why not integrate it into a "vPod"?
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by stustanley

stu

Looks like the content on the directed page was created by him guy. Chill.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    hujibhujib Posts: 117member
    fingerprints on your regular monitor are bad enough.. imagine watching a movie on the screen you're just been fingering!?! .. nice mockup btw!
  • Reply 7 of 15
    lupalupa Posts: 202member
    Maybe they could have a set of sliding controls which reveal the full screen, a la sliding cell phones?
  • Reply 8 of 15
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Looks like it could be something like that but wouldn't the display get scratched even easier?

Finally some pictures that are fun enough to speculate on It's been a long time since we have had anything like this on the boards.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:

Maybe the wheel pops up wherever you place your finger, not in just one place...

And, by your definition, any repetitive usage of a particular screen region is a bad thing. That would pretty much make ANY usage of a touch-screen interface useless in the long-run...
  • Reply 10 of 15
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:

I read some other comments about this on another site... some people were talking about having a thin piece of glass over it... or some other material.

One person had a good point: they couldn't keep the iPod nano's screens from scratching... what makes them think they could pull this off?

I have 2 big complaints about this if its true. A) they have already had touch sensitive iPods (3g)... and they sucked. Sometimes wouldn't respond to the touch... or sometimes respond at hte wrong times to the touch. BG that. B) There is no response... no object to feel for if its in your pocket. A lot... and i mean A LOT... of people keep their iPods in their pockets and simply reach in and click the next or pause or previous button. it'd be difficult to do that in your pocket with the touch sensitive one. You'd have to take it out of your pocket every time you'd want to change tracks.

If this is the path apple is going down with their new iPods... count me out. I'll just buy the older ones.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    I agreed.

Even though the design looks cool it's just not convenient and that's not what Apple would suggest for a new generation of ipods. I think a larger screen is on the works but the concept of a physical click wheel will not go away. Touch screen seems a very bad idea to me.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    johnrpjohnrp Posts: 357member
    The pics have gone.. anyone got them..

I also think the "physical" button will stay, the 3G was cool at first but got annoying very quickly.

I have a strange feeling that a hybrid of the shuffle/remote controls and big click-wheel will be the future. Wether it is as a remote only or on the reverse I don't know.

With the remote for the macs using the same button's it kinda makes sense.

whatya think

j.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnrp

big click-wheel will be the future.

Perhaps the click wheel will run on the outside of the screen. I would make it quite big, but you wouldn't be able to run your thumb so fast around it in circles - that gets rid of the medical profession claiming people are suffering from "iPod thumb", a report I read (on the BBC I think) last year.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    this is kinda on odd idea, but how bout the wheel on the back? Use your pointer finger to control it, it would be hard at first, but if apple designs it well and you get used to it it might work? maybe? lol
  • Reply 15 of 15
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Shadow Slayer 26

this is kinda on odd idea, but how bout the wheel on the back? Use your pointer finger to control it, it would be hard at first, but if apple designs it well and you get used to it it might work? maybe? lol

I don't think that that is such an odd idea. I had been thinking the same thing myself. Looking from the front, a translucent image superimposed over a rendered wheel would show where your finger is, it could even change shading when you touch a hot spot. Other services could be placed beside it on the enormous real-estate available.