Cinema Display Prices...

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
It seems to me that Apple's Cinema Display prices are way out of touch with the market. I just recently got a 32" HDTV for around $1,299 and you can get a HDTV 42" for around $2,399. When do you think Apple will finaly offer competative pricing for their displays? And does anybody think they would do well to offer a non pro smaller screen option...say for those who are buying a mac mini for instance?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 73
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    The Dell ones are so much better. The same actual panel, for two thirds of the price, plus a whole complement of analog inputs, and a digital media card reader to boot.
  • Reply 2 of 73
    cdong4cdong4 Posts: 194member
    The 24" Dell UltraSharp is a FAR better piece of LCD than any Cinema Display. The Cinema Displays are actually very very poor compared to most other displays. The Dell 24" which is only about $850 right now has a 1000:1 contrast ratio whereas the ACD has 400:1... and 500 cd/m2 brightness to the ACD's 270. You'd have to be silly to buy a Cinema Display unless you are that addicted to having things match.
  • Reply 3 of 73
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CDonG4

The 24" Dell UltraSharp is a FAR better piece of LCD than any Cinema Display. The Cinema Displays are actually very very poor compared to most other displays. The Dell 24" which is only about $850 right now has a 1000:1 contrast ratio whereas the ACD has 400:1... and 500 cd/m2 brightness to the ACD's 270. You'd have to be silly to buy a Cinema Display unless you are that addicted to having things match.

I don't doubt that the Dells are generally a better deal (I have said so myself before), but does the additional screen brightness even matter? It seems like one of those vapid marketing things that people latch on to, even under excessively bright flourescent light the ACDs look plenty bright enough. The only place the extra brightness would seem to matter is if you had these displays outside. I have a Samsung 730B which I have the backlight turned all the way down.
  • Reply 4 of 73
    Neither of those displays have DVI inputs do they?

You can get other displays for cheaper, yes, but in the end the Apple Displays just look great. It is the same way with cars. I have a Nissan Pathfinder. The Infinity version (Q4) I think has the same, seats, engine, parts, etc., but it is refines and just looks a lot nicer. Same car, one just looks better. Now me, I consider me car nothing more than a transport for my laptop and I, but other might value the looks more.

If aesthetics don't matter to you, then Dell has some great deals. I believe I read on another thread that they even use the same panels.
  • Reply 5 of 73
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

I don't doubt that the Dells are generally a better deal (I have said so myself before), but does the additional screen brightness even matter?...

I don't know if this is true or not, but I would expect a display that starts out brighter to take longer to reach that point where it just won't get bright enough anymore.
  • Reply 6 of 73
    Quote:

Originally posted by jpennington

Neither of those displays have DVI inputs do they?

Why would high end LCDs be sold without a DVI input?
  • Reply 7 of 73
    Because the average consumer class TV isn't used as a computer monitor.
  • Reply 8 of 73
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    To the OP: An LCD TV is not the same as a computer LCD. Interfaces are different, resolutions are different, etc. Show me a 30"+ LCD TV that does 2560x1600 for <$2000.
  • Reply 9 of 73
    Quote:

Originally posted by jpennington

Because the average consumer class TV isn't used as a computer monitor.

I suppose I missed the consumer TV part, which shouldn't be compared to computer monitors as if they were directly comparable products. Still, any flat panel TV or computer monitor worth money these days does have a DVI compatible input. Even if it only hs HDMI inputs, all it needs is a cable adapter as HDMI is electrically DVI compatible.

I don't recommend hooking buying a TV for hookup to a computer unless it will generally be used as a TV. Computer monitors are generally too expensive to be used as a TV screen.

Screen size and cost are not the only considerations on value. Resolution, overscan, fill ratio and rectangular grid are very significant as well. Most LCD TVs are 720p or lower in resolution, have a very low fill ratio, many use a "honeycomb" grid and many crop out the outer 5-10% of a display signal. The smallest 1080p TV is 37", which has slightly fewer pixels than a 23" or 24" monitor. Then when you get to plasma, you'll find that many of them have non-square pixels.
  • Reply 10 of 73
    Sounds good Jeff, I wasn't aware of that .
  • Reply 11 of 73
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Brightness notwithstanding, Apple really does need to bring their prices down.

A 20" Cinema Display for $800 is just plain absurd.

I think the Dell equivalent can be had for $450 or so. Yes, the Dell looks ugly, but it has height adjustment, and even a pivoting screen.

But something tells me we won't see a $300 cut from Apple any time soon.
  • Reply 12 of 73
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Bestbuy has a Westinghouse 20.1 inch for 399 that looks better than the Apple 20 inch cinema...Dells lowest price is ~$449 and Westinghouse isnt a bad brand.

Oh yea, and the kicker - the BB model is 399 - NO REBAITS...just 399
  • Reply 13 of 73
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

Bestbuy has a Westinghouse 20.1 inch for 399 that looks better than the Apple 20 inch cinema...Dells lowest price is ~$449 and Westinghouse isnt a bad brand.

The Best Buy web site says it is a 1400x1050 screen, is that wrong?

Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

REBAITS

Was that intentional?
  • Reply 14 of 73
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

The Best Buy web site says it is a 1400x1050 screen, is that wrong?

Was that intentional?

Yes on both counts, I hate MIRs and I thought the sign at the store said 1680.1050, maybe I mis read it, or maybe the tag was made by the same duchebag that was telling a lady that she needed the latest PSE for windows to garentee color accuracy of her artwork when she told him flat out that she already had PS on Mac, he also said that she would need a super high end $1000+ CRT "like the pros use", not once did he mention color adjustment of the monitor its self using Apples color sync tools or Gama in Windows...or a pro calebrator if she had a couple of hundred to spend.
  • Reply 15 of 73
    I guess my main point was that Apple's monitors are WAY over priced, and don't make up for the extra price in features or tech specs. So how can Apple sell them -- to pros, or anybody? And why are they leaving out the mac mini market with no lower end monitor? I think we need to see these prices soon with more features:

17" - $200

20" - $350

23" - $450

30" - $950

Also, do you think Apple could put a tv tuner card into the back of the monitor or would they be way to bulky? Built in DVR/TV in a Monitor connected to FrontRow, iPod, etc in a Mac could be crazy delicious.
  • Reply 16 of 73
    Quote:

Originally posted by icfireball

I guess my main point was that Apple's monitors are WAY over priced, and don't make up for the extra price in features or tech specs. So how can Apple sell them -- to pros, or anybody? And why are they leaving out the mac mini market with no lower end monitor? I think we need to see these prices soon with more features:

17" - $200

20" - $350

23" - $450

30" - $950

That's a nice fantasy that won't be met for a few years yet. There doesn't exist a 30" computer monitor anywhere that costs twice your wished-for price. And don't quote the price of an LCD TV. The only competition for the 30" is Dell's, their list price is $2200, though some claimed to have gotten one for $1900. Heck, Dell's 24" is still $825, and I think that is just clearing them out for the next revision.

Keep in mind that the pro monitor market is a different beast, if a monitor gives them the color quality and calibration features they want, many of them will pay more if they have to. Consumer monitors generally don't have the adjustment capabilities that are necessary for that market.
  • Reply 17 of 73
    It still boils down to the aesthetics of them. They look good, that is one of the things that you pay for.
  • Reply 18 of 73
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Also, Dell apparently has a neverending 20% discount on the widescreen 20 and 24. That brings them down to "really damned cheap".
  • Reply 19 of 73
    I believe the price of everything Apple computer related will drop once the entire range of Macs has been transitioned to using Intel processors.
  • Reply 20 of 73
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

I believe the price of everything Apple computer related will drop once the entire range of Macs has been transitioned to using Intel processors.

Even for the items that don't have any obvious Intel components?