Analyst predicts iBooks, touch-screen iPod at event in April

Comments

• Reply 81 of 233
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    That all depends on your perspective. Personally I'm not convinced that the core duo's are all that expensive.

From the marketing stand point we might see a single core iBook but I doubt it would be out for long. It likely would be a stop gap measure until the Merom based "PowerBooks" come out.

The issue is pretty simply multiple cores are the wave of the future. Apple simply has not other choice. Now timing is another thing all together, but in two years I doubt very much that you will see any PC manufacture having success selling single core hardware. The reality is that just two cores have a dramtic impact on PC usability for modern work loads. Once this becomes more widely known consumers will just add multiple cores to their check off list when they go shopping.

Dave

Quote:

Originally posted by jivebaby

When will people get that the dual core chip is too expensive for the ibook line?

• Reply 82 of 233
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wizard69

From the marketing stand point we might see a single core iBook but I doubt it would be out for long. It likely would be a stop gap measure until the Merom based "PowerBooks" come out.

Dave

Plus, we should all know by now how Apple loves to milk us with incremental speed bumps/processor upgrades.

Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if the iBook goes through lowly bumps like this:

single core

duo core 1.67

duocore 1.83

Mercom
  • Reply 83 of 233
    I think that IF Apple chooses to use the Yonah(single core) that it will be the base model in the MacBook(iBook) line. The cost difference is not that great, but for schools who buy in quantity that small cost can amount to a much larger amount than a normal consumer would worry about. I think that we will see a Core Duo chip in the MacBook, albeit a slower clock speed than those in the MacBook Pro line. One reason is the latency in Rossetta. The single core would most likely have problems handling the third party software that many people use on a day to day basis. Just my two cents...

Cheers!
  • Reply 84 of 233
    ishawnishawn Posts: 364member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dansgil

I understand that with current iPods, to reset the device you hold menu and select. How would you do something like this with a touch screen device? Are there touch screens that can detect more than one finger at a time? If not, do you think Apple would put other buttons to do resets and enter diagnostic mode?

In order to reset you'll have to do the trick with money boxes that you must perform for to open. For instance, you place the iPod with dock connection facing outwards, you quickly spin it counter-clockwise 1 1/2 times and raise the end with the dock connector up in order for the iPod to reset itself.

Quite elementary actually. Except I often can't get my money box to open... Maybe it's clockwise?
  • Reply 85 of 233
    zengazenga Posts: 267member
    I'm waiting for either the "new" iBook 13.3" or the MacBook Pro version, I own a 15" PowerBook 500MHZ, it's too big & heavy for traveling, I just can't go out without my mac around, that's why I need the small factor of portability.. I almost bought the new iBook but now I'm stuck in the void waiting for the new 12" or 13" versions, I do hope they come out with the 13.3" option, there PC versions are really light & small, but.. they come with windows.. lol...

Should I get the 12" iBook, PowerBook or just wait for the new one's???
  • Reply 86 of 233
    Quote:

---------------

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla:

Apple sold 14 millions in 3 months.

Now, what were you saying again?

Personally I would hate using a cell phone/music player combo. I just want a phone that works well as a phone. Is that too much to ask? Probably.

------------------

Originally posted by JeffDM

I think the point was that just one model of a phone sold that many in a market where there are several dozen models with no single brand hogging the market, and nearly all of those several dozen phone models also play music, so that could mean 50M+ such phones sold worldwide in the same time period.

I do think a dedicated device is easier to use and in other ways better than a converged multi-device, but which way the market goes simply depends on buyer preference.

right, what JeffDM said, but i was also asking, how many ipods sold apple the year it was introduced? you do the math.

i dont know in the USA but in europe, where the cellphone market is much more advanced, the ipod as a mp3 only is already doomed.

Have you tried sony's new cells as mp3 player? they work perfectly, only difference is you can scroll lists faster with the ipod, but that could be adressed introducing acceleracion with constant joystic press, just a software update.

again, i hope we see the new big-screen-ipod as a sort of Palm's lifedrive -apple may be already trying to buy Palm according to some sources.
  • Reply 87 of 233
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jindrich

i dont know in the USA but in europe, where the cellphone market is much more advanced, the ipod as a mp3 only is already doomed.

Bollocks.

The iPod have had its huge succes during the period where phones gained cameras and MP3 players. Those who buy the advanced telephones are more likely to buy iPods than the rest of the population because the iPod are offering something a phone can´t. If Apple is integrating a phone into the thing they are are just making it MORE like a phone and have to compete with Nokia and S//E and have to enter a very difficult marked of subsidy deals with 5+ operators in each marked, limiting functions for one operator, branding the phone for another etc etc. If they don´t do that they can focus on doing things with it that can never be done with a phone combo (taking the video part further).

"But they can do both". Qtek tried that and even if their phones are interesting they do not appeal to the average user, not even the majority of the tech savvy persons and I can understand why.

I don´t think people are really getting how the marked works.
  • Reply 88 of 233
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    ipod as phone and itunes / iphone won't work till more broadband cell phone access is available. europe has 1-3mbs cell service. only a few US cities have 400-700kbs (we are soooo weak) people and apple want customers to download to the phone. the rokr failed for lot of reasons (many,most returned phone per forums) that include can't download directly. we want to untie people from their PC"s.

you can't bring out a technology that only a few can use, and expect any real growth. not the apple way!
  • Reply 89 of 233
    im in contact with a language school in germany who receives students from all over the world.

do you want to know how many ipods the poeple have? zero

they ALL have new phones with mp3 capabilities. Students from japan, corea, usa, china, switzerland..etc

make of this what you want
  • Reply 90 of 233
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    I´ve made extensive customer analysis reports for the largest wireless phone company company here in Denmark for a couple of years. The segment Apple caters for with the iPod will NOT abandon it for a phone-only solution. Make of it whatever you want.

Chris is very representative of how the tech savvy segment thinks. The MP3 capabilities and camera is extras that doesn´t replace the real thing.
  • Reply 91 of 233
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Chris is very representative of how the tech savvy segment thinks.

Not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing.
  • Reply 92 of 233
    mr.emr.e Posts: 20member
    I don't really have an opinion about the upcoming iBooks. In terms of the iPod, though ? think convergence. Apple/Jobs said they wouldn't integrate video, but they did. I know they'll eventually integrate a cell phone into it (and damn, that's what I've been waiting for!) To all those out there who think there will be scratch issues to a touch screen, think again - they generally have coatings on them to prevent scratches - no issue.

I don't have time to work up a mock up, but perhaps someone out there could for the following idea. Considering that one side of the iPod might be a touch screen, this negates any need for the iPod to change its form factor. In other words, there doesn't need to be a flip out keyboard, because there can be a virtual touch screen keyboard (in horizontal mode). In vertical mode, the problem is solved to come up with a better way to integrate a number pad for a cell phone, again it would be a vitual touch screen number pad to make calls that were not already in your Address book. Enjoy. I can hardly wait for something like this.
  • Reply 93 of 233
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    The cell carriers have one thing going for them: ubiquity.

They can toss a "music store" into the mix, sell a bunch of phones and then turn around and say "Look! iPod killer! Lots of people have "V Cast" enabled phones!".

What the cell phone carriers do not have are good prices, good interfaces or a good ecosystem. $2.00 a pop for a song that gets buried in cobbled together interface from a really poorly laid out on-line store and virtually no accessories to extend the value of your purchase. But all of that on every phone sold, so: iPod killer.

Cell carriers make Apple's "walled garden" of iPod interoperability look like open source. They make a lot of money selling ring tones and wallpaper, so they figure "hey, we've got this tightly controlled, always on little data spigot, so we are the rightful owners of digital download business and we can charge whatever we want!"

But there is a big difference between being willing to spend some money to customize your cell and trying to manage a large music library on same. See any "cell boomboxes" around? You going to take your cell to a party and hook it up to a stereo with your "party mix"? How about sharing playlists? Sprint can't talk to Verizon can't talk to Cingular can't talk to T Mobile.

If the carriers were smart they would be begging Apple to design a phone with full iTunes functionality (sorry Moto, not even close).

Instead, they'll do everything they can to keep Apple at arms length while they try to figure out how to grab the market for themselves.

Extra monthly charges, complex billing schemes, horrible interfaces, half-assed afterthought "stores", jacked up prices and sharply limited paths to get in or out of your player. Sounds like an iPod killer to me.
  • Reply 94 of 233
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    the phones are disposable, no tecnology is worth more than 2 years, not so the ipod. carriers push phones only to push their service and long contracts. lets enpower people with unlocked phones then customers then choose the service provider. the phones the carrier sells are purposely limited and most are not really quality....just rehash old stuff with new packages. and the quality is sooooo spotty that customer service is trash. but those long contracts are nearly impossible to get out of....something like renting your music. that's what the carriers want, it's all collusion, the market isn't really competitive as long as customers are not the driving force. if their products are sooooo goood then let us be free of the monopolistic contracts. and so i vote for apple to have it's own service and phones so we don't get in the situation of renting our music only to end up endentured servants of the carriers. you lose your music if you change carriers they want those long term contracts and give you junk phones.
  • Reply 95 of 233
    If Apple doesn't converge both 12" and 14" screen sizes to make a 13.3" widescreen, I hope they don't make the 14" the only model with duos. I want an iBook that's around 12", my mom has a 14", it's way too big for me. I would suppose 13.3" may give the keyboard a bit of breathing room, too. Can't wait to get rid of this iBook G3. I also wouldn't mind waiting until the fall or next year for a new iBook because that would give Apple more time to get the MBP prepped for Merom and give me a bit more time to ride this iBook and save for a PS3 rather than an iBook.
  • Reply 96 of 233
    pyrixpyrix Posts: 264member
    The iPod has become too popular, people are buying something else, like Creative Zen's - "Just for something different."

Nevertheless, with its massive market share, Apple will likely be dominant for many, many years to come. Dont see them dyeing too soon, if they die at all.

Anyways, Macbook will probably get dual core at $1500AUD price point, however, if they want to make a $999AUD with single core for education and Mac Mini for laptop kind of experience, they would probably fly out the door.
  • Reply 97 of 233
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pyriX

The iPod has become too popular, people are buying something else, like Creative Zen's - "Just for something different."

Wow, must be some good crack on your planet...
  • Reply 98 of 233
    pyrixpyrix Posts: 264member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacRonin

Wow, must be some good crack on your planet...

Yes... We are a happy people...

Seriously, I wasn't proposing that the iPod is dead, but I see a surprising number of people, both online and real world that are getting a creative just becuase it's different to the iPods.

If I was buying an MP3, it would be an iPod, simply for iTunes, which I use already with my palm, dragging and dropping songs onto my SD card, but would be great to synchronise stuff.

Then again, I followed a freind around a shopping centre for about half an hour while he was trying to find some white, apple headphones. No one had them, so he brought some nice black Sony's to match his nano.
  • Reply 99 of 233
    Quote:

Originally posted by speed_the_collapse

If Apple doesn't converge both 12" and 14" screen sizes to make a 13.3" widescreen, I hope they don't make the 14" the only model with duos. I want an iBook that's around 12", my mom has a 14", it's way too big for me. I would suppose 13.3" may give the keyboard a bit of breathing room, too. Can't wait to get rid of this iBook G3. I also wouldn't mind waiting until the fall or next year for a new iBook because that would give Apple more time to get the MBP prepped for Merom and give me a bit more time to ride this iBook and save for a PS3 rather than an iBook.

Thing is, the 13" widescreen would make the new iBook very similar in terms of overall size to the existing 12". In fact, looking at my iBook as I type this, the amount of space around the bezel could easily be reduced and even with an iSight built in the form factor would likely be smaller than current models.
  • Reply 100 of 233
    Originally posted by pyriX

....Anyways, Macbook will probably get dual core at $1500AUD price point, however, if they want to make a $999AUD with single core for education and Mac Mini for laptop kind of experience, they would probably fly out the door.

hi pyriX i think since the current iBooks are AUD$1599 and AUD$2049, perhaps a MacBook Core Solo 13" wide with isight could be priced at somewhere inbetween... dualcore at AUD$1500 is too insane, though it would be nice . i'll just take a stab at AUD$1699 on the MacBook Core Solo 13" wide -- (yes, i am shameless at cross-posting my mockups)