Let's see those iWeb sites!

Comments

• Reply 21 of 212
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by beley

In all the iWeb websites I've visited the home page images are grossly large.

The template I'm working on allows you to scale, crop, adjust, or whatever else you want with the image. I've scaled some of them down so that they're not taking up ridiculous amounts of real estate on screen.
  • Reply 22 of 212
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

The template I'm working on allows you to scale, crop, adjust, or whatever else you want with the image. I've scaled some of them down so that they're not taking up ridiculous amounts of real estate on screen.

I wasn't talking about width and height, but rather file size and download times.
  • Reply 23 of 212
    Here is mine: www.zeroshots.com For those who like photography.

Hope you like it.

Vasco
  • Reply 24 of 212
    Quote:

Originally posted by Vasco Casquilho

Here is mine: www.zeroshots.com For those who like photography.

Hope you like it.

Vasco

HOT DAMN! Brilliant site. Brilliant photos. Great job!
  • Reply 25 of 212
    Quote:

Originally posted by beley

I wasn't talking about width and height, but rather file size and download times.

I'm curious if the file sizes (and subsequent download times) would go down if you size the photos in iPhoto first to closely match what it'll be in the iWeb page.

I personally don't think the download times are a big deal. I can see the big photos loading from top to bottom, but the wait is miniscule and acceptable to me. It's certainly not 5 or 6 seconds, and I don't have anything close to 5 Mbps DSL.
  • Reply 26 of 212
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

I'm curious if the file sizes (and subsequent download times) would go down if you size the photos in iPhoto first to closely match what it'll be in the iWeb page.

I personally don't think the download times are a big deal. I can see the big photos loading from top to bottom, but the wait is miniscule and acceptable to me. It's certainly not 5 or 6 seconds, and I don't have anything close to 5 Mbps DSL.

Txs a lot. Glad you liked it. I have another site called www.mindlooks.com but it was not done with iWeb.

Txs for looking.

vasco
  • Reply 27 of 212
    Quote:

Originally posted by Vasco Casquilho

Txs a lot. Glad you liked it. I have another site called www.mindlooks.com but it was not done with iWeb.

Txs for looking.

vasco

Vasco,

I thought I recognised some of the photos . Excellent work!

Dave.
  • Reply 28 of 212
    I haven´t done so much photography lately, so it is natural that some of them coincide.

Txs for looking and remembering.

Vasco
  • Reply 29 of 212
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    i use .mac and have a homepage. so is iweb worth the price...what does it allow me to do that homepage doesn't and does it make it easier to get a quicktime short video to "my site"? i just post my photo albums right now, not much else, i have only one video clip of my girls singing for christmas. that's the only video that i would consider placing on my homepage etc, since i've had homepage. is it simpler to intergrate stuff....
  • Reply 30 of 212
    I find it very easy for what it does. If you are not after a super pro site, then go for it.

All of your photos, etc, come up in a media menu and you just drag and drop them onto the page. You can even do basic adjustments to the photos within iWeb without having to go back to iPhoto and fiddling with them. Uploading too the net is also one button easy.

Layout is a breeze and you can add text easily. You can also make navigation links to make the site a little more organized/interesting. All the work is done on your Mac (not on the net), so things zips along. Everything in iLife '06 links better and flows more easily than before.

There aren't that many iWeb templates now, but this is the first version and more will come. One thing I like is iWeb pages do not have the silver border that .mac pages have.

You can keep your .Mac homepage as it is and link to it from the new site created in iWeb.

Take a look at the pages that have been listed here and see if you like what you see. Each one has a different approach and feel to it so you can seee the underlying strength of the software.
  • Reply 31 of 212
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    It's pretty easy for novices like my wife but since we don't have a .mac account, it's not as easy as one click. FTP and publishing your WHOLE project is involved. Luckily, most of the time we only have to FTP the individual page but you still have to publish the whole project.

If you have .mac then iWeb is the best way to publish simple but good-looking sites.
  • Reply 32 of 212
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NOFEER

i use .mac and have a homepage. so is iweb worth the price...what does it allow me to do that homepage doesn't and does it make it easier to get a quicktime short video to "my site"? i just post my photo albums right now, not much else, i have only one video clip of my girls singing for christmas. that's the only video that i would consider placing on my homepage etc, since i've had homepage. is it simpler to intergrate stuff....

I don't think iWeb alone is worth the price, but the improvements to iMovie, iPhoto and the addition of iWeb is about worth it. iPhoto does make it easy to transfer a photo album into an iWeb gallery page in about three clicks, and someone mentioned that it is easy to add and remove photos from a given gallery, add by dragging in from iPhoto, remove by pressing the delete key, rearrange by simply dragging photos around.

I think they should have made it easier to update to your own hosting, but if you have .Mac, it appears to automatically update or publish pages.
  • Reply 33 of 212
    You know, .Mac is much more worth the $99 now, as I kind of look at iWeb as part of that price. Yeah, technically it's not, but if you look at the total $179 a year that you spend on iLife and .Mac, you get a pretty good deal with a tightly integrated package.
  • Reply 34 of 212
    program feed - still in a beta of sorts
  • Reply 35 of 212
    Does iWeb require a .Mac subscription?
  • Reply 36 of 212
    Here is site full of photos of my son. Very easy to make and update. This requires a high speed connection because of all the pictures and music. I found iWeb much easier to use than Freeway Express, although iWeb is much more limited. It does however integrate very well with iLife and makes basic sites very easy to make.

http://web.mac.com/llovato/iWeb
  • Reply 37 of 212
    Have posted my first QTVR thru iWeb as a test and it works fine.

Made it with Canon's PhotoStitch, which is very easy to use and came with my camera for free. Wish it had a nicer OSXish interface though...

Take a peek .
  • Reply 38 of 212
    Made this just to see how iWeb works..I like it so far. Except my web site seems to be really slow right now.

http://web.mac.com/ericrynerson/iWeb/Site/Welcome.html
  • Reply 39 of 212
    spbspb Posts: 1member
    Ok here is my old Homepage site completely done in iWeb, it has taken me awhile to get used to differences between doing everything manually as I did with my Homepage. However now after 10 days or so, I think iWeb was worth it and I like it.

What's everyone think then?

http://web.mac.com/stevenbutterworth...h/Welcome.html
  • Reply 40 of 212
    nyfcnyfc Posts: 3member
    [link deleted]