iMovie '06 on iMac G5: poky, unstable = infuriating

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I'm a long-time iMovie user... since the first one, I'm sure like many here. Each year (or update way back when they were free) I have been impressed by the improvements and innovations that Apple has come up with for this program.

The '06 version, however, is an exception. It taxes my 1.8GHz iMac G5, takes so much longer to render clips, has slow, slow response times, and, to boot, crashes frequently.

Anyone else having a similar experience? I'm working on an anniversary video for a friend and it is becoming a huge PITA instead of the bit of fun it used to be... maybe I can reinstall '05? \

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    How much RAM do you have? I assume you aren't using HD.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Good question. I have 1 GB of RAM... shouldn't that be enough or no? And correct, I'm not using HD.

Thanks.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    I've seen Imovie 06 crashing all the time on Imac Intel. Apple rushed it, so it seems.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    What is the capacity of your hard drive and how much of it is free?
  • Reply 5 of 6
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I really haven't had any issues, all around, it seems faster to me than '05. I have a dual 2.5.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    I've been testing iMovie HD on my new iMac Core Duo. It's not very intuitive but I was fascinated by all the things you can do. It's a pity it crashed several times while doing mundane things like 'Clearing' a movie clip. (I like the smoke effect as it disappears though!) It also says "just drag the clip" but that doesn't work and I had to import it even though it was Mpeg4 already.

I usually like apps that don't require a lot of reading, but it seems this one is not like that.