small business finances?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I'm getting closer and closer to launching my small business and I was wondering what people around here use to keep track of their money. Ideally, we'd like something that we can make an invoice on and the data from the invoice is automatically incorporated into our records.

This is really my business partner's area so forgive me if I'm asking the wrong questions. I'd like to have an all-Mac house, but Windows and Linux apps aren't off the table.

-Mark

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Guartho

I'm getting closer and closer to launching my small business and I was wondering what people around here use to keep track of their money. Ideally, we'd like something that we can make an invoice on and the data from the invoice is automatically incorporated into our records.

This is really my business partner's area so forgive me if I'm asking the wrong questions. I'd like to have an all-Mac house, but Windows and Linux apps aren't off the table.

-Mark

I ran my very small (1 man) business for years with AppleWorks, but didn't need to make invoices and such, just income and (ugh) expenses, and didn't mind a little reworking every month.

You might want to check out Microshaft(soft) Office, as Excel pretty much has this down, and your mention of Windows' apps seems to suggest PCs will be around, so you might as well have something that can run on both platforms.

You might also check out MarinerCalc, which is way less expensive.

http://www.marinersoftware.com/sitepage.php?page=14

They also have an office suite that might set you up.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    uh... quickbooks?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I'd suggest OmniOutliner. It does some of the fancy things you'd use Excel to do plus it also neatly organizes and collapses data.

I love OmniOutliner!

Also be sure to setup separate banking from your personal accounts so it is easier to track business expenses you can write off. The feds prefer it that way too.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    You should consider MYOB's FirstEdge or AccountEdge depending on you current or possible future needs.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    cogcog Posts: 40member
    Through my research (just over a year ago), it came down to QB and MYOB. I chose MYOB because of the customization feature for their forms and the fact that the interface seemed more intuitive than QB. Overall, I think it was simply a decision over which one sucked the least.

With any complex product that attempts to appeal to a wide user base, my guess is that MYOB / QB are decent considering what they do. I did not look at any of the lower priced accounting / bookeeping packages as our company does require more indepth accounting features.

One bone to pick with MYOB is their documentation / online help is pretty weak, prompting you (they hope) to buy the annual "upgrade" help. I finally found a free user group that has gotten me through numerous bumps and question

http://www.smartgroups.com/group/group.cfm?GID=1381506

Hope that helps.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    I'd vote for quick books on the pc, but if you know a good bookkeeper get them to set up the file for you.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trick fall

I'd vote for quick books on the pc, but if you know a good bookkeeper get them to set up the file for you.

The space I'm renting is in the basement of an accountant's office.

Thanks for the advice everyone, I'll pass your recommendations along to my business partner.