12 inch MacBook Pro

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I heard rumors that Apple does not plan to release a 12inch MacBook Pro. Not in those exact words, something more like, "The 12inch PowerBook is not on our roadmap" or something to that effect. I was just wondering if this is true... I will be purchasing a new Mac portable in the next few months, and the 12inch Pro was something I was considering. That is, if they make one... Anyone have any info?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by opnsource

I heard rumors that Apple does not plan to release a 12inch MacBook Pro. Not in those exact words, something more like, "The 12inch PowerBook is not on our roadmap" or something to that effect. I was just wondering if this is true... I will be purchasing a new Mac portable in the next few months, and the 12inch Pro was something I was considering. That is, if they make one... Anyone have any info?

Have absolutely no info. Like you I would like to see a product like this. The smaller the better.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by backtomac

Have absolutely no info. Like you I would like to see a product like this. The smaller the better.

Hold off as long as you can - when the 17in comes out (which I assume it will) if there is not a 12in then, then it is a safe bet that there will not be one. Hold off until the iBook comes out as well if you can - they shouldn't be that long, and the iBook might get decent specs.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by G_Warren

Hold off as long as you can - when the 17in comes out (which I assume it will) if there is not a 12in then, then it is a safe bet that there will not be one. Hold off until the iBook comes out as well if you can - they shouldn't be that long, and the iBook might get decent specs.

Good suggestions. A 13in iBook would be nice as well especially if it looks something like the one posted on the other thread by Sunilraman. Just hoping one version is packing a core duo.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    zengazenga Posts: 267member
    I really hope they won't kill the 12" or a new 13.3" MacBook Pro version of the current Powerbooks, even if the new iBooks (MacBooks) get decent specs.. unless..? they come out with @ least the G4 Powerbooks specs for the 12"... but... what about the price? iBooks are the cheapest line of laptops & they are targeted for students, aren't they?

Anyways...

I'm dying here! HURRY UP!!!

lol
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Yeah, Zinga, they are targeted toward the EDU market. The new MacBook(iBook) will be out beginning of April at the very latest. The EDU buying season starts around May so that the schools can get the machines configured and install any third party software they might need. So it won't be too much longer.

As far as a 13.3 inch display is concerned, why wouldn't they just build a 14inch widescreen like the HP notebooks I've been seeing?

Just curious...
  • Reply 6 of 8
    there will NOT BE a 12" computer from apple. it will be 13.3 widescreen.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    13.3" is best option in between 12" and 14" for WIDE SCREEN format and look very good in 1280 X 800 resolution
  • Reply 8 of 8
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I'd like to agree that there'd only be a single unified 13.3 MacBook but I could anticipate an EDU model, a reduced price version ala eMac. This way the EDU market can keep a cheap machine (you don't really need widescreen for Word) but it could eventually crossover as a standard consumer machine.

At this point I'm also undecided if there'll be a 13" MacBook and 13" MacBook Pro or only a single MacBook unit. Either could be customized. Look at the current 12" iBook and PowerBook and it is obvious how similar the units are.

See if you're making new machines and you have to have the tolerances in the MacBook Pro, why go to the cost of a major redesign. Just drop the specs (CPU, Optical Drive Speed, RAM, HD, ExpressCard) and slap it in a cheaper case. This keeps the price of both units low and saves on R&D to boot!

The big question is, if there are two units, will the non-Pro MacBook feature MagSafe?