First Post: Help Me Break My Laptop And Switch To Mac!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hey guys I've been jealously lurking around these forums for a while and am DYING to swtich. I think I can do it but I need some help. First I've got to tell my story(it's long but I really, REALLY need help):

In 2005 I was getting into Video Editing but was always on the road at the time so I needed laptop. I had wanted to switch to Mac back then but being the idiot I am I let a guy at Best Buy talk me into spending $3250cad(2818usd) on an HP laptop! I hate this thing it's a 9 pound brick that gets me 40 minutes or less of battery life and always has problems.

He guy at the store convinced me to get the 3 year warrenty for it and I bought it. Their policy is if it takes them more than 2 months to fix it they'll replace it with something else OR if it breaks down 4 times on the 4th time they'll replace it. MINE HAS BROKEN 3 TIMES. Once it's took them more than 2 months to fix it but I hadn't properly read the policy at that point in time so they never gave me a new machine.

I eventually took some editing classes and fell in LOVE with Final Cut Pro and the Mac OS X and I so badly want to swtich to a mac computer but I don't have any money to do so. And this machine after having been sent back and repaired (for hardware not software it has to be a hardware problem to get exchanged)3 times and still SCREWS UP. It radomly turns itself off for hours for no reason and I can't get it back on for at least an hour.

Heat isn't the problem because it isn't hot and I since it's 9 pounds I never take it off my desk. I've taken it by my local store but they insist nothing is wrong and won't give me a new machine like I deserve(they already owed me a new machine since they took more than 2 months to fix it during the summer and because this is the fourth time it's had a problem) they don't believe me.

The day you guys on here announced the Final Cut Pro Studio upgrade price I ran out and bought soundtrack pro and have it to upgrade to the full studio even though I don't even have a mac yet.

Here is where I need help. Can anyone tell me how to break my windows laptop in an undetectible way to the people at the store so I can request a new machine of equal or lesser cost and get an intel iMac or get put on their reserve list for the MacBook Pro(both would be cheaper than I paid for my stupid huge laptop)? I don't have the money for a new computer and already have Soundtrack Pro and NEED to switch if I want to learn and get good enough to become a local freelance editor.

If you guys can help me I'll be forever in your debt.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Quote:

MINE HAS BROKEN 3 TIMES

If it breaks one more time (this varies, depending on the state laws), it is officially a 'lemon' and you should ask for a refund - or a new one, at which point, Intel iMacs/MacBook Pro should be suggested by you as a replacement that would satisfy you.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    I know that, that's the problem. It's broken again but not consistently so I'm hoping to get advice of how to break it in way that they can't tell that I did it, that way they replace it for me. It's broken FOR REAL it's just not consistent, so they won't replace it, which gets me the customer screwed over. I'm the victim here, I've met 2 of their conditions for replacement and they won't do it because it it sill boots up half the time.

I also can't resell it because who would want a computer with problems like that?

I'm never going to buy anything else at best buy again.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    mistake
  • Reply 4 of 12
    aslan^aslan^ Posts: 599member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mrbrown

I know that, that's the problem. It's broken again but not consistently so I'm hoping to get advice of how to break it in way that they can't tell that I did it, that way they replace it for me. It's broken FOR REAL it's just not consistent, so they won't replace it, which gets me the customer screwed over. I'm the victim here, I've met 2 of their conditions for replacement and they won't do it because it it sill boots up half the time.

I also can't resell it because who would want a computer with problems like that?

I'm never going to buy anything else at best buy again.

Breaking it yourself is not the answer, that is fraud.

Now if you were to take it to a certified repair person and they diagnosed it as broken and provided you with a quote for repairs, then you would have more than just a leg to stand on.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Is Soundtrack a universal binary or am I getting it mixed up with something?

If not, you don't want a intel Mac.

Well, at least Final Cut Pro is not universal for a few more months, so you don't want that yet.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    oh lordy i learned never to buy a computer from a reseller like comp usa, best buy, bransmart, target, walmart, circuit city, etc, etc, etc a longgggggggggggg time ago.

i bought my first mac from comp usa and i will never do it again!!!

it sucks to be duped, specially by some punk at best buy selling you a windows machine- aslong as you learned your lesson its ok.

i dont know if anyone in here will tell you how to actually break your laptop- i'd say find a friend or a friend of a friend thats really good with computers to help ya out.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Threaten to sue? Sorry to hear of your troubles.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Sell it to another sap that can be talked into over-paying for a PC (all of which are naturally Lemons IMO).

It's not like PC users are in short supply...

Like someone said, if you purposely try to break it, you run a risk of getting caught and being left with a broken laptop that you can't get fixed without spending yet more money to fix what you broke.

Accept the fact that you made a bad decision buying it and get on with life. I doubt the BestBuy employee put any kind of gun to your head and forced you to buy laptop.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JohnnySmith

Like someone said, if you purposely try to break it, you run a risk of getting caught and being left with a broken laptop that you can't get fixed without spending yet more money to fix what you broke.

If you know what you're doing, you wouldn't have much risk of getting caught. You have to realize that the people repairing these computers usually aren't the brightest bunch (or just don't care too much). There are ways to damage it so that they will just think that the part failed. It's not like they would send it to an electrician to figure out which part broke and how.

I've worked in a university repair shop, and I really didn't give a rat's ass about whether someone was doing those or that with that part. We just figured out what was broken and ordered the part from Dell. (Though some people are kinda stupid with thinking they can get away with things like, "If I clean up all the wine I spilled on the outside of the laptop and tell them that I don't know why it's broken, they won't notice all the wine that seeped into the interior.")

Disclaimer: I am in no way advocating fraud of Best Buy or any other computer repair shop that does warranty repairs.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    umm... never mind...
  • Reply 11 of 12
    As others have said, I would avoid the break/return cycle, too much risk.

Reformat the drive and sell it on eBay

It just bewilders me how someone could recommend a WIndows PC for use in the Digital Arts/Media field. The store employee is truely not trained and clueless. Windows has no integration, clumsy, slow and a security nightmare.

I burst out laughing when I see those commercials on TV on how people are choosing PC's over Mac's. The rationale they use is so pathetic !

Go MAC, the only thing I have that runs windows is a work issued Windows laptop. I did a complete dump and run. I even sold my weather station becasue the don't support Mac. My philosophy is that if it does not support Mac, it will not be in my house.

I do a great deal with Digital photogtaphy and Aperture. I will never, repeat never go back to Windows, way to painfull
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Heh. Pick it up and shake it while it's writing a large file to the hard drive. That'll kill the drive.