Decompression not built in to OS x??

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I cant get bluetooth to work with my Sony Ericsson W800i as a modem. {It works with the cable but slowly} I have been told I may need a new bluetooth modem script BUT it is a .sit file. My 20" intel iMac is new and I am a switcher.

Why is there no compression in the system like WinXP?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    .SIT is a StuffIt file - that is a rather old compression system from several years back.

The standard compression file format used now is .zip, just like under Windows, and you'll notice that you'll find 'Create Archive of <current item>' in the Finder's File menu. Double-clicking on a .zip archive will decompress it in the Finder.

What you need to do is go here and grab StuffIt Expander. Then double-clicking that file will decompress it for you.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Ta! I downloaded stuffit but it asks for the admin password. Other apps dont need this so is it going to do something I should know about. The stuffit people appear to have the characteristics of a nagware group demanding email and name et al rather than shareware. Is it safe?

{suspicious ex-PC user with never load windows shareware rule}
  • Reply 3 of 7
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Skeptik

Ta! I downloaded stuffit but it asks for the admin password. Other apps dont need this so is it going to do something I should know about. The stuffit people appear to have the characteristics of a nagware group demanding email and name et al rather than shareware. Is it safe?

{suspicious ex-PC user with never load windows shareware rule}

Stuffit dates back about 20 years to the earliest days of the Mac, just as PKZIP dates back to the early days of MS-DOS. Stuffit is not some kind of malware masquerading as a compression/decompression utility.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    All apps that install on Mac OS X ask for the Admin password, and I wouldn't worry about malware/spyware. Just use your computer, thats all I wanted to do, so I bought an Apple.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Not all apps ask for an *Admin* password. Only those that are going to be mucking about with system-wide resources, such as /Library, are going to ask for a password. StuffIt Expander installs a couple of plugins so you can access the functionality from the Finder. That's what the password is for.

Minor detail, but just to clarify.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Thanks! Clarity is always good ... It seems Stuffit is a must-have because a lot of things use it. Shame it is not cross-compatible with the OS compression software. The Stuffit website does its best to encourage you to buy it. Personally I think it goes too far for something it classifies as 'shareware'.

(Oh and I got Bluetooth to link to my Sony-Ericsson phone - what a mission!)
  • Reply 7 of 7
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Skeptik

Thanks! Clarity is always good ... It seems Stuffit is a must-have because a lot of things use it. Shame it is not cross-compatible with the OS compression software. The Stuffit website does its best to encourage you to buy it. Personally I think it goes too far for something it classifies as 'shareware'.

(Oh and I got Bluetooth to link to my Sony-Ericsson phone - what a mission!)

The free Stuffit Expander will certainly decompress .zip files and most other compressed archives known to man. Stuffit Standard and Stuffit Deluxe will create and decompress most archive formats.