Apple shipping MacBook Pros with faster processors

Comments

• Reply 81 of 155
    I can see BRussell's point.

If your boss came to you and said, "Order yourself a new laptop, money no object" and then the supplier announces a faster one before they've even shipped yours, you'd be somewhat annoyed at missing out on the fastest one.
  • Reply 82 of 155
    Quote:

Originally posted by minderbinder

You're posting this AGAIN? Hell, this is the third time.

Wonder how long it will take the mods to ban this guy for spamming...

hmmm i was wondering why he was saying it was interesting with 4 bs posts \
  • Reply 83 of 155
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

I'm sure many people won't care and will just take the new model and be happy, but don't dismiss my concern about the change just because some people will be happy with it.

And that's the thing. 99% of people WILL be happy with it.

Suck it up buttercup
  • Reply 84 of 155
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by minderbinder

Wonder how long it will take the mods to ban this guy for spamming...

LOL - you guys, don't keep quoting the URL of what he is spamming, and I can ban him a lot faster.
  • Reply 85 of 155
    BRussel: I think it's ridiculous to whine about a free upgrade when the only real reason is iPenis envy.

Do you honestly think your machine will be any less capable than the 2.16 in, say, two years??

That tenth of a second is REALLY going to kill you doing filters in photoshop. You'll be out of business!
  • Reply 86 of 155
    excuse me: "Penis Pro"
  • Reply 87 of 155
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

LOL - you guys, don't keep quoting the URL of what he is spamming, and I can ban him a lot faster.

Actually, when I quoted him I changed his url to a bogus one.

Thanks for stepping in, that was getting annoying.
  • Reply 88 of 155
    I just received my email from Apple that my order's been upgraded. But, my estimated ship date has slipped from Feb 15 to Feb 23. Sigh.
  • Reply 89 of 155
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Perhaps this means we will get a dual core on the MacBook (iBook) and Mac mini after all, at least on the high-end configurations.
  • Reply 90 of 155
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

No, I'm complaining that they changed the top end model, and more generally, I'm complaining that Apple screwed up.

Is Apple your mother or something? They mis-predicted what they were going to be able to offer. There's no other way to spin it, unless you're a blind Apple fanboy who thinks this company never screws up.

You do realize that you have no idea about what you're saying?

If you KNOW why Apple did this, then speak. Otherwise, don't!

There could have been several reasons. The most likely one is that the quantity of higher speed shipping cpus has increased more quickly than expected, and Apple got better pricing as a result. Otherwise they wouldn't be selling these at the same price.

Another, but less likely reason is that battery life has proven to be somewhat better than expected, so that faster cpu's are possible. Same being true of heat.

don't be so fast to assign blame because you are pissed.

The 2.16 is not a high-end model. It is a build-to-order model. Completely different, as you should know.

You asked for the high-end model, and you will get it.
  • Reply 91 of 155
    Quote:

Originally posted by aegisdesign

The point was that it bodes well for small and lighter Apple notebooks with Core Duo in, not a direct comparison. Kim reckoned there wasn't a smaller notebook with one in.

Not a smaller one, a thinner one.
  • Reply 92 of 155
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

I'm sure many people won't care and will just take the new model and be happy, but don't dismiss my concern about the change just because some people will be happy with it.

Intel to Apple "We can now deliver 2Ghz and 2.16 Ghz Core chips at suffiecient levels for your needs."

Apple to Customer "We are upgrading all Mac Book Pro orders for no additional cost, and will soon ship a 2.16 Ghz Mac Book Pro."

Could you see Apple in their boardroom meeting. "Should we upgrade the processor for free? 99% of our custmers would be extremely happy with the upgrade but we risk alienating BRussel, instead of a 1.8 Ghz dual processor laptop he will now have a 2Ghz dual processor laptop and will no longer have the fastest laptop we offer, which will cause him much inconvenience."

Quote:

If your boss came to you and said, "Order yourself a new laptop, money no object" and then the supplier announces a faster one before they've even shipped yours, you'd be somewhat annoyed at missing out on the fastest one.

You are getting a faster machine than the one you origianlly ordered. Apple is not obligated to insure that anyone has the fastest machine at any one time. There will always be a faster machine to be had.
  • Reply 93 of 155
    Quote:

Originally posted by palter

I just received my email from Apple that my order's been upgraded. But, my estimated ship date has slipped from Feb 15 to Feb 23. Sigh.

Although I've already changed my order, I got my email and it gave me the new shipping date of Feb. 28 even though I ordered the day the were announced. I'm not feeling quite so bad about waiting the extra time for the 2.16 now considering I already would have had to wait another couple of weeks.
  • Reply 94 of 155
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

Not a smaller one, a thinner one.

Once more with feeling....

IBM X60 12.1" screen is 0.8" thick. It's both smaller AND thinner. The bigger T60 is 1" thick, same as the MacBook Pro. The Sony SZ starts off thinner where it matters, at your hand.

Do people put blinkers on when they buy Apple kit? It's just bizarre that some people will continually deny that other companies can't do the same as Apple.

It puts me in an odd position, defending reality yet arguing with Apple fans even though you'd not catch me buying anything but Apple.
  • Reply 95 of 155
    Quote:

Originally posted by TenoBell

You are getting a faster machine than the one you origianlly ordered. Apple is not obligated to insure that anyone has the fastest machine at any one time. There will always be a faster machine to be had.

That's one way of looking at it. The other is you've not managed to diddle your boss out of more money. ;-)
  • Reply 96 of 155
    Quote:

Once more with feeling....

IBM X60 12.1" screen is 0.8" thick. It's both smaller AND thinner. The bigger T60 is 1" thick, same as the MacBook Pro. The Sony SZ starts off thinner where it matters, at your hand.

Do people put blinkers on when they buy Apple kit? It's just bizarre that some people will continually deny that other companies can't do the same as Apple.

It puts me in an odd position, defending reality yet arguing with Apple fans even though you'd not catch me buying anything but Apple.

It's just that the comparisons have to be of like units for a starter. You wouldn't make a comparison between the iBook and the PowerBook, because they aren't comparable.

It's like making a comparison betwween a two seater and a sedan. The two seater IS smaller, but it's a different kind of car, with a different purpose.

Compare like to like.

The MacBook Pro isn't a notebook. It's a laptop. Compare it to other laptops.

When comparing thicknesses, the thinnest area isn't the relevant part. It would be fine to say that the Sony is from .9 to 1.3 inches thick, compared to the Apple, which is 1.05 inches thick.
  • Reply 97 of 155
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    BRussell: If money really isn't a problem, just order a 2,16GhZ Core Duo Processor, shove it in your MacBook (since it's plug n play) and voila, fastest Laptop Apple offers. You can then eBay the 2,0 GhZ and get a decent price for it.

And to people who think this offers room for a dual core iBook: I don't think so, it's more likely they did this so there would ba a difference in advertised speed betweene a top line, 1,67 GhZ Core Solo iBook and a More expensive MacBook Pro, that will no longer have an equally fast 1,67GhZ Core Duo (at least, to people that that don't know a lot about computers, this would appear as 2 equally fast computers, but now this won't occur)
  • Reply 98 of 155
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TenoBell

Intel to Apple "We can now deliver 2Ghz and 2.16 Ghz Core chips at suffiecient levels for your needs."

Apple to Customer "We are upgrading all Mac Book Pro orders for no additional cost, and will soon ship a 2.16 Ghz Mac Book Pro."

Could you see Apple in their boardroom meeting. "Should we upgrade the processor for free? 99% of our custmers would be extremely happy with the upgrade but we risk alienating BRussel, instead of a 1.8 Ghz dual processor laptop he will now have a 2Ghz dual processor laptop and will no longer have the fastest laptop we offer, which will cause him much inconvenience."

Intel to Apple: We're not sure what we can deliver.

Jobs: Fuck 'em, I wanna give my dog and pony show. I need to have my "one more thing!"

BRussell: Jeezus, I just wish Apple would actually announce what they have so customers aren't ordering blind.

Apple Patriots on AI: OMG Apple is teh GOD!1!
  • Reply 99 of 155
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lorre

BRussell: If money really isn't a problem, just order a 2,16GhZ Core Duo Processor, shove it in your MacBook (since it's plug n play) and voila, fastest Laptop Apple offers. You can then eBay the 2,0 GhZ and get a decent price for it.

And to people who think this offers room for a dual core iBook: I don't think so, it's more likely they did this so there would ba a difference in advertised speed betweene a top line, 1,67 GhZ Core Solo iBook and a More expensive MacBook Pro, that will no longer have an equally fast 1,67GhZ Core Duo (at least, to people that that don't know a lot about computers, this would appear as 2 equally fast computers, but now this won't occur)

I don't know. I've been thinking about this.

Two reasons why an iBook would have a single core. One is that it's less expensive. Two is that it would give longer battery life.

If the price of the chips is down, a possibility now, that might allow a dual core 1.67 chip in an ibook. If Apple found better battery life than they were expecting, that might also allow it.

It's a toss-up right now. Most likely, we won't wee a dual in there. Not at first, at least.

But, as we see, Apple can still surprise us!

If the price dropped, a high end Mini would be a good choice. The dual is needed for 1080p H.264 decoding.
  • Reply 100 of 155
    Quote:

The Sony SZ starts off thinner where it matters, at your hand.

It's just bizarre that some people will insist that a laptop at 1.3 inches is thinner than one that's one inch.

Congratulations, you found the X60! Now give the sony a rest already.