Apple releases Mac OS X 10.4.5 Client and Server

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
check your software update

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    AppleInsiderAppleInsider Posts: 63,192administrator
    Apple today released Mac OS X 10.4.5 Update for both Intel- and PowerPC-based systems. The maintenance operating system release is recommended for all users and includes general operating system fixes, as well as specific fixes for the following applications and technologies:

iChat video conferencingSafari rendering of web pagesusability of Dashboard and widgetsviewing of QuickTime streaming media behind a firewallprinting to some Epson printer modelsiDisk and Portable Home Directory syncingtime zone and daylight savings for 2006 and 2007VPN connections to Cisco servers when using NATcompatibility with third party applications and devices

The PowerPC version of the updated also features fixes for using and mounting Windows formatted storage devices.

A more detailed list of changes and enhancements in Mac OS X 10.4.5 is available on Apple's Knowledge Base Web site.

Additionally, Apple posted Mac OS X 10.4.5 Server Update, which it also recommends for all servers. The update includes general operating system fixes, as well as specific fixes for applications, services and technologies such as:

using MySQL on systems with more than 4GB of RAMtime zone and daylight saving changes for 2006 and 2007printing to some Epson printer modelscompatibility with third party applications and devices

A more detailed list of changes and enhancements in this release is also available on Apple's Knowledge Base Web site.
  • Reply 2 of 32
    it seems this has fixed slow open/save dialogs with iDisk syncing on!
  • Reply 3 of 32
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

it seems this has fixed slow open/save dialogs with iDisk syncing on!

Nice, I'll test out the update when I get home.

Now if only I could disable iDisk on the desktop separately than the other options. Actually, now that I think about it, I think I'm finally ready to not have things mounted on the desktop at all! 'Bout time!
  • Reply 4 of 32
    i'll admit that this is a nerdy thing to say but i wish i could remember to wait until Transparedock was able to support an update before i downloaded the update. i ALWAYS forget and am like "oh, right! damn."
  • Reply 5 of 32
    seems like the FrontRow problem with new 20" Intel iMacs has been fixed.

Can't wait to check if its true at home

This was the only thing that upset me a bit when my new first ever wonderful iMac arrived 2 weeks ago
  • Reply 6 of 32
    kedakeda Posts: 722member
    So far so good on a 12" PowerBook and a 20" iMac CD.

I hope this helps AirTunes not drop out as much. Haven't had time to test yet tho.
  • Reply 7 of 32
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    The update breaks the universal binary for USB Overdrive on the intel iMac.

everything else so far is working....haven't tried too much.
  • Reply 8 of 32
    umijinumijin Posts: 133member
    I had some minor problem after install on my 12" G4 PB. The reboot stalled on the grey screen with spinning dial. There was no hard drive noise, and it stayed this way for a few minutes.

After holding down the startup button and restarting, it made it past this screen, then took its time with the desktop appearance. However, it seems to be OK after this. I'll see after a day's usage.

I guess I would hold off if I were others - in fact I will hold off for my G5 iMac.

On MacNN, a few others are reporting such issues.
  • Reply 9 of 32
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Safari on my 2 Gig G5 is noticeably faster.
  • Reply 10 of 32
    6.5MB only?
  • Reply 11 of 32
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    It's actually 16 MBs.

As usual, I recommend reading both macfixit.com, and macintouch.com for a few days before installing this.

Also, reboot from another drive and fix your disk with Disk Utility first. Fix Permissions after the install.

It's preferable to download the combo updater, and install from that instead.

http://www.apple.com/support/downloa...1045combo.html

The worst thing to do is to install directly from Software Update without doing these things first.
  • Reply 12 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

It's actually 16 MBs.

The installation size, as determined by software update, is different depending on the system that's being updated.
  • Reply 13 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by audiopollution

The installation size, as determined by software update, is different depending on the system that's being updated.

I'm going by the size of the file on their site.
  • Reply 14 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by umijin

I had some minor problem after install on my 12" G4 PB. The reboot stalled on the grey screen with spinning dial. There was no hard drive noise, and it stayed this way for a few minutes.

After holding down the startup button and restarting, it made it past this screen, then took its time with the desktop appearance. However, it seems to be OK after this. I'll see after a day's usage.

I guess I would hold off if I were others - in fact I will hold off for my G5 iMac.

On MacNN, a few others are reporting such issues.

The last few updates (10.4.4 and 10.4.5) on my PB G4 15" messed up the HD tree, with the problem you described plus a noticeable general system slowdown as a result. So after each update, I had to do a safe boot to run the HD repair, and after that it's worked fine. A bit weird, but no worries.
  • Reply 15 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

I'm going by the size of the file on their site.

Why would you assume that Gene Clean is doing the same?

You should stop that.
  • Reply 16 of 32
    Yea! This fixed a font corruption problem I was having.

I use my PBG4 1.67GHz (High Resolution) with an external Sony Trinitron 20in (VGA cable). When I use TeXShop with monitor spanning, the preview PDF file always came up with corrupt looking fonts before. This happened irrespective of which TeXShop window (code or output) is on the main screen (the PB) or the extra screen (the Trinitron).

I don't know if this is a font fix or a graphics driver fix. Either way, I'm happy with this update!
  • Reply 17 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by audiopollution

Why would you assume that Gene Clean is doing the same?

You should stop that.

I didn't assume that. You just did. The full size file is 16 MB's. That happens to be correct. Not everyone gets that, it's true, but not everyone gets 6.5 MB's either. So I mentioned that size.

Why do you have a problem with these things?
  • Reply 18 of 32
    After the update, my new iMac still shows 128MB video RAM. The box it shipped in says it has 256MB (and cost me extra for that too!). Anyone else with this problem?

-Scott
  • Reply 19 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by scott_r

After the update, my new iMac still shows 128MB video RAM. The box it shipped in says it has 256MB (and cost me extra for that too!). Anyone else with this problem?

-Scott

You better get that checked out. You might have received the wrong machine!
  • Reply 20 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by drumsticks

You better get that checked out. You might have received the wrong machine!

yeah you probably only have 128 MB vRam, because for me it always hsowed the 256 MB vRam I just had some FrontRow problems with it