Playing DVDs from my laptop to my highdef TV

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi,

I would like to play DVDs on my new highdef TV from my laptop. The only connector that I have is the S-Video cable, which I don't want to use. Is there any way to somehow output the display using component cables?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    If your trying to upgrade the visuals your out of luck with that. It would be pointless because your source is still going to be what comes out of the end of your S-Video cable. Do you understand what I'm saying?

But if your asking because you don't have a S-Video on your HDTV. (That seems unlikely.) But If you don't Just search google for an s-video to Component adapter... Actually I have one sitting right here... lol. I bought it a long time ago from radio shack because it had all the inputs and outputs. My TV didn't have RCA plugs, only one "Cable-TV type" line in, and I was using it for my PS2. So I bought the adapter with every plug just in case I needed it again. Now if you want your DVD's to take up to full 1080p you need a new DVD player with an HD up-converter. I have one. It was relatively cheap too. The only reason I got it is because my old DVD player wouldn't play DL DVD's that were saved to an image, and then burned. I paid $125 for it (sony) at ultimate electronics. It uses HDMI for the up-convert, but it has all the connections for older TV's as well.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Originally posted by vgoklani

Hi,

I would like to play DVDs on my new highdef TV from my laptop. The only connector that I have is the S-Video cable, which I don't want to use. Is there any way to somehow output the display using component cables?

Does your Hi Def set have VGA in? Same connector type as the monitor out on your laptop. If not, you'll have to get a VGA to component transcoder, like this.

Read about the principles involved here.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    hi....just wanted to add my two cents...I recently experimented hooking up my 17" to my hitachi hdtv, I felt the s-video connection was real fuzzy but the dvi connection was excellent....I take it your hdtv is first gen since you don't have a dvi input....so I would have to say you are probably not going to be happy with the pic from the laptop until you get a display that has dvi...yes you can buy all kinds of adapters but it is still going to be a conversion to s-video and not a well optimized one either. On the bright side there is a stand alone dvd player for about 60.00 called the avayon 1000 and it plays all the computer files...divx etc...it's really excellent, I love mine(made in the usa)usa company anyway lol
  • Reply 4 of 5
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    If the TV doesn't have DVI but has HDMI you can probably use an adapter to connect your laptop's video out that way and have it set to the TV's native resolution.

The downside is if your TV has non-square pixels since your PowerBook won't be able to output that natively and you'll get some visual artifacts.

If you don't have DVI or HDMI on your TV, then you probably need some sort of converter box that can convert from DVI/HDMI to component video. The pixel issue remains though.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Even if your laptop has DVI out there's no point in trying to convert the DVI signal per se if you don't have any digital in on your set.

You can get a DVI to VGA cable for less than ten bucks, then use the converter box I mentioned earlier. The difference between component and end to end digital isn't as great as you might think, and certainly component is vastly superior to s video.

As Xool says, if you set does have HDMI in (unlikely if it's more than a year old) then a DVI to HDMI cable is all you need (the difference is that HDMI also carriers digital audio, so you would need to do that as a separate feed).