I'm switching to Linux/Windows

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I've decided that I'm too much of a hardware/games freak to keep on living with an overpriced system and an undersupported (game-wise) operating system. So I'll be switching to Linux for my desktop putzing-around operating system and Windows my gaming/productivity OS.

I might try to run Mac OS X on another partition, but I'm not going to put a lot of effort into it if it's going to get broken with every software update.

So long.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 157
    lupalupa Posts: 202member
    Happy trails.

I can't really see the point of this thread though?
  • Reply 2 of 157
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    To watch you people try to win me back? No clue. Just putting it out there.
  • Reply 3 of 157
    godspeed!
  • Reply 4 of 157
    well 2 things...

1 compare a new imac to a dell. Make sure you configure it evenly. (remember build in webcam, wireless, bluetooth...)

2. Vista will be able to run on the new intel macs...which means use that for your games.

I'm just now switching to mac from win/linux becuase of those two reasons.
  • Reply 5 of 157
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    What's wrong with console games? Xbox 360 should be able to wet your whistle until ps3 and revolution are out. I don't understand the point to pc games for the most part when everything seems to get ported and now all consoles will be able to go online as well so....what's the point?
  • Reply 6 of 157
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    so does that mean you won't be hanging around here anymore? i hope not!

i installed Ubuntu Linux on my main machine at work and have been very happy with the OS. Open Office is a very competent Office sweet, The Gimp is a nice image editor, and most application you need are available. The look & feel of the operating system is so customizable that you can make it anything you want it to be. Installing most programs and updating things, at least with Ubuntu, is a snap.

But, there are some hangups. And if you like tinkering with your system, it won't be a big deal. Like, for example, Firefox 1.5 never made it to their normal application-download system, so you have to install it more manually. It isn't too big of a deal, but it involves a solid 15 minutes of closely following instructions. Also, the look-and-feel of Nautalis is nowhere near the OS X finder (not that I think the OS X finder is even that great!) and you'll find yourself much more actively involved with your file system than you ever were with OS X. Oh, and F-Spot, the iPhoto-type program, is also just not nearly as smooth, consistent, and nice to use as iPhoto. And, of course, there is no iTunes, so you'll be stuck with a more archane and less-handy way of managing your digital music. On the plus side, Linux browsing is fast (except for Flash, but we have that problem on Mac too) and AIM/MSN/Yahoo!/ICQ support is very adequate.

Ultimately, i imagine you will lead yourself to windows, where you will be able to use Google's awesome Picasa image management program, iTunes, and many of the other good free programs that are available.

When all is said and done, both Linux and Windows (especially Linux) will feel new & cool at first, but then you'll ultimately realize in how many ways they come up short in terms of usability...though you'll also realize they are totally competent OS's and maybe worth it, considering the price of the hardware.

My final note is the constant want to try new things with a computer is pretty much a never ending cycle. It's sort of like those among us who buy a new Mac practically every year. It doesn't change much, but it's fun to change for its own sake.

Good luck!
  • Reply 7 of 157
    Good Bye, so long......have fun.... haHAHAHAhahahahAHahahahaaaaaaaa
  • Reply 8 of 157
    Au revoir!
  • Reply 9 of 157
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

I've decided that I'm too much of a hardware/games freak to keep on living with an overpriced system and an undersupported (game-wise) operating system. So I'll be switching to Linux for my desktop putzing-around operating system and Windows my gaming/productivity OS.

I might try to run Mac OS X on another partition, but I'm not going to put a lot of effort into it if it's going to get broken with every software update.

So long.

So, will ya cut a college student a deal on your "overpriced and slow" Apple hardware, and whatever apps you may have??
  • Reply 10 of 157
    I was considering switching to an Intel Mac and then install Vista, but I don't think it'll end up being too easy, and the hardware will still be expensive, so I'm going all the way. I also like AMD hardware much more.

What I'm buying

Overall, I think that Linux will keep on improving, and frankly I have faith that eventually Apple will see that it's in their interest to at least allow people to put their OS on 3rd-party hardware, even if they don't support it. Until then though, it's off to a world of choices.
  • Reply 11 of 157
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

So, will ya cut a college student a deal on your "overpriced and slow" Apple hardware, and whatever apps you may have??

Take a look in General Discussion for my other thread and details of my Powermac G5 / display / software.
  • Reply 12 of 157
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Quote:

I was considering switching to an Intel Mac and then install Vista, but I don't think it'll end up being too easy, and the hardware will still be expensive, so I'm going all the way. I also like AMD hardware much more.

What I'm buying

Overall, I think that Linux will keep on improving, and frankly I have faith that eventually Apple will see that it's in their interest to at least allow people to put their OS on 3rd-party hardware, even if they don't support it. Until then though, it's off to a world of choices.

damn, its amazing what you can buy on the PC price for 1500. add pics of the setup whenever you get 'er done. the case looks nice too...hopefully it's quiet, but maybe that isn't a big concern of people wanting max performance. whatcha gonna be using for a display?
  • Reply 13 of 157
    nice computer, except u may have a bit of a bottle neck with the proccesor...i mean you have one of the best gpu's and 2 gigs of ram, but your proccesor isn't to great. its still nice tho. And yah, i think linux will improve, but apple computers are not overprices for what you get. Since im just switching now, ive configured many (many) different computers from many manufactures, and they all end up being about the same.
  • Reply 14 of 157
    Quote:

Take a look in General Discussion for my other thread and details of my Powermac G5 / display / software.

Still too rich for my blood -- The Mac platform is a country club, and I am a bus-boy

If I win the lotto, I will get a proper Mac, but I sort of agree, the Apple hardware sux.

Could you imagine OSX on a dual dual core amd 4200+, with 2 Quadras in SLI, THAT would be a workstation...not this "core duo" shit
  • Reply 15 of 157
    Quote:

Originally posted by progmac

damn, its amazing what you can buy on the PC price for 1500. add pics of the setup whenever you get 'er done. the case looks nice too...hopefully it's quiet, but maybe that isn't a big concern of people wanting max performance. whatcha gonna be using for a display?

Acctually, the AMD heatsyncs now use HUGE fans along with the huge fans in the back, it may be quieter than you imagine:

RPM is noise, a big fan moves more air at 1/2 the RPM of a small fan in many cases, that combined with "liquid bearings" results in a really quiet PC, not to mention Energy Star willl turn the RPM of fans down or up as needed, so it will be really quiet if you just surf the net, and a little louder in a game.

Also, you can use this
  • Reply 16 of 157
    Quote:

Originally posted by progmac

Yeah, that's what really kills me about the Mac versus the PC. You can just get so much great stuff, such a great selection with mix'n'matchable components, for very cheap. My PC-using friends are saying I'm spending a ridiculous amount of money, too. $1500!

The case is pretty much the ultimate love-or-hate. I love it. Some of my friends hate it, some of my friends love it.

I'm going for a Dell Ultrasharp widescreen, either a 20.1" or a 24". Whatever I have money for. I might use a CRT in the mean time.

Quote:

Originally posted by Shadow Slayer 26

nice computer, except u may have a bit of a bottle neck with the proccesor...i mean you have one of the best gpu's and 2 gigs of ram, but your proccesor isn't to great. its still nice tho. And yah, i think linux will improve, but apple computers are not overprices for what you get. Since im just switching now, ive configured many (many) different computers from many manufactures, and they all end up being about the same.

I'm going light on the processor until the dual cores come down. And the processor is still nothing to scoff at, and according to my AMD-freak friend is very very overclockable, even with standard cooling.
  • Reply 17 of 157
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    okay, here's what i don't get. if you're going to switch, then just switch. why yell it from the mountaintop? what is it about using windows/linux that precludes you from participating here? you can talk about upcoming rumors as well as anyone, and heck, with the switch to intel occurring now, you'd be in even better shape to discuss differences in boxes than most of us who just have a mac on/under the desk.
  • Reply 18 of 157
    Why do people post "I switched to Mac" threads? I'm not yelling at people for using Macs, I don't hate Macs, I'm just discussing the reasons I'm switching, and by elaborating on those reasons, this thread is beginning to discuss the interesting points of Mac vs. PC in hardware.
  • Reply 19 of 157
    yah AMD's in general are very overcloackable...very nice too. Still for some reason im getting a mac.
  • Reply 20 of 157
    Face it, people buy Mac for the OS, no one in their right mind would buy their hardware if it werent tied to OSX, it is over priced...

My buddy is building a gaming rig right now, AMD Dual core 4?00, 1 GB ram, NV 7800, ~200-ish gig Caviar HDD, DL-DVD burner, all for ~$1200

Compare that to the mid range (dual core 2.3GHz) PowerMac with a 7800 and 1GB Non-ECC RAM at ~$2950

Now lets add a display: for the PMG5, an Apple 20 inch display which makes the price $3748

TO the PC we add a Dell 20.1 inch display for $450 bringing the total to $1650

He already owns a windows license, but assuming for the equasion, he were to buy Win MCE 2005 at OEM price on Newegg of $114 that would bring the Windows box to a price of $1764 and with MCE, he would have all the functionality of iLife and more (just add Picasa)

3748 less 1764 leaves us with $1984 in the bank: that is a good laptop AND a fun weekend in the city...or more likely for us college students, money that doesnt exist in the first place.

I think Mr. Placebo is coming around to what a ton of PC guys have been saying for years: We will pay good money for OSX, but not on Apples over priced towers...AND WE DEMAND NON-AIO non integrated towers!