Apple updates iTunes and iLife '06 applications

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Apple Computer this afternoon updated iTunes to version 6.0.3 and and also released maintenance updates to all the component applications of iLife '06 with the exception of GarageBand.

The updates were made available via the Mac OS X Software Update mechanism and also posted them to the Apple Support Web site.

iTunes 6.0.3 Update

According to Apple, iTunes 6.0.3 (54MB) includes stability and performance improvements over iTunes 6.0.2. The company notes that after purchasing music from the iTunes Music Store with iTunes 6 or later, users will also need to upgrade their other computers that purchase music from the iTunes Music Store to the latest version of iTunes.

iDVD 6.0.1 Update

iDVD 6.0.1 Update (4.6MB) resolves issues with integration with the other iLife applications, importing of legacy projects and some theme related issues. It also addresses a number of other minor issues.

iMovie HD 6.0.1 Update

iMovie HD 6.0.1 Update (51.8MB) resolves issues with Ken Burns rendering performance, Scrubber Bar editing performance and theme image quality. It also addresses a number of other minor issues.

iPhoto 6.0.1 Update

iPhoto 6.0.1 Update(12MB) resolves issues with photocasting, viewing thumbnails in large libraries, and ordering cards, calendars and books. It also addresses a number of other minor issues.

iWeb 1.0.1 Update

iWeb 1.0.1 Update (18.3MB) addresses issues related to publishing and blogs. It also addresses a number of other minor issues.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I suppose Apple can afford the bandwidth, but the file size of these updates seems a bit excessive for "minor improvements".

Anyhow, I'll turn on my backup drive for the second system backup in as many days.
  • Reply 2 of 48
    "According to Apple, iTunes 6.0.3 (54MB) includes stability and performance improvements over iTunes 6.0.2".

Wow, I wasn't aware of any problems.

I guess I'll just wait for iTunes 7.0.

These 'updates' seem like Windows patches!

• Reply 3 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

I suppose Apple can afford the bandwidth, but the file size of these updates seems a bit excessive for "minor improvements".

Anyhow, I'll turn on my backup drive for the second system backup in as many days.

They're always excessive if you ask me. Especially the QuickTime and iTunes updates.

As for the "...includes stability and performance improvements over iTunes 6.0.2" description Apple always puts, I'm pretty sure it translates to "we've patched some security holes in the iTMS or broken 3rd-party DRM hacks."

'cuz really, has anyone had iTunes crash on them lately? I don't think I've ever seen iTunes crash, ever.
  • Reply 4 of 48
    I am glad to see them updating iMovie, there was huge issues with importing images and rendering kens burns effects.
  • Reply 5 of 48
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eduardo

These 'updates' seem like Windows patches!

Although any iTunes update can have secret consequences...

How about the Windows iTunes users though... If this update was just for issues related to iLife, everyone has to update even if they aren't using iLife '06.
  • Reply 6 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

They're always excessive if you ask me. Especially the QuickTime and iTunes updates.

As for the "...includes stability and performance improvements over iTunes 6.0.2" description Apple always puts, I'm pretty sure it translates to "we've patched some security holes in the iTMS or broken 3rd-party DRM hacks."

'cuz really, has anyone had iTunes crash on them lately? I don't think I've ever seen iTunes crash, ever.

If you had said this 3 days ago, i would have said Amen but not anymore. I had a bad crash the other day. I do not know what caused it but luckily i had a library file backup from just the day before. I lost 1 album i had to re add but that was it. It did somehow mess up my ipod. the ipod had everything but didn't show album art. I just reforammted and synced. I had to wait until i had time to syn 30 gig of music but it wasn't too bad
  • Reply 7 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eduardo

"According to Apple, iTunes 6.0.3 (54MB) includes stability and performance improvements over iTunes 6.0.2".

Wow, I wasn't aware of any problems.

Update via Software Update was 18.5 mb.
  • Reply 8 of 48
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

People have reported difficulties with iTunes 5.0 such that they had to downgrade, which shouldn't have been't a major change. Supposedly, downgrading that program was non-trivial.

On my sister's computer, 6.0.2 would consistently die before finishing an iPod sync, reinstalling it, doing drive checking and so on did not affect it. Luckily, uninstalling it and putting on 6.0.1 resolved it without much hard work.

I don't care if it is Apple or not, I don't implicitly trust a claimed bug fix or a patch to be perfectly stable to the point that I don't do a system backup. This is especially for a program like iTunes that does change system components on occasion, regardless of history. A backup of my system drive only takes fifteen minutes and easily pays off should something go wrong.

The fact that this round of updates involve five major programs and for me, 110MB of downloads, I'd say it's an easy call for a quick backup.
  • Reply 9 of 48
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 2stepbay

Update via Software Update was 18.5 mb.

Mine too.
  • Reply 10 of 48
    Quote:

'cuz really, has anyone had iTunes crash on them lately? I don't think I've ever seen iTunes crash, ever. [/B]

Had one yesterday. I just hope this update makes iTunes less of a resource hog.
  • Reply 11 of 48
    Having frequent updates is fine, but Apple should spare a thought for those that have slow dialup outside Europe and the US. I will have to try and coax the local Apple shop to download these things for me whenever they come out.
  • Reply 12 of 48
    Assuming you do not update through software update, wouldn't it be faster to redownload the program. 50+ mb is more than a brand new install
  • Reply 13 of 48
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    Wouldn't it be cheaper for Apple to do more testing via hiring more QA engineers or larger Beta programs? Seems like they release too early and then patch regularly.
  • Reply 14 of 48
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    We go through these issues every time.

Apple can't account for every configuration when they release programs. It's not like an OS release, where they SHOULD delay until most bugs are gone.

As for the size of the files, well, even minor issues might involve making small changes to a large bit of code. It could be a couple of lines here, and a couple of lines there. But the entire area might have to be updated, rather than just those lines.
  • Reply 15 of 48
    It appears that their system update (10.4.5) has crippled Microsoft Word on one of my G5s. This is not an insignificant problem!
  • Reply 16 of 48
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SpamSandwich

It appears that their system update (10.4.5) has crippled Microsoft Word on one of my G5s. This is not an insignificant problem!

Well, that's an odd one, for sure!

It's also why I ALWAYS reccomend than no one install these updates until AFTER reading the reports on macfixit.com, and macintouch.com for several days.

Most likely there's some other 3rd party software causing the problem. Or the drive wasn't checked first, or permissions weren't fixed, etc.
  • Reply 17 of 48
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    Or do a clone/backup prior to installing the updates and revert to the backup in the event of problems...
  • Reply 18 of 48
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Skeptik

Having frequent updates is fine, but Apple should spare a thought for those that have slow dialup outside Europe and the US. I will have to try and coax the local Apple shop to download these things for me whenever they come out.

Frequent updates are NOT fine. They're infuriating. They're time-consuming. And they're a joke. iTunes seems to be always 'updated', like its a bi-weekly phenomonom or something. But after a while, people just start ignoring the updates because they don't have the time, or just don't want to waste it, to install freakin' updates. And if they include security fixes, then guess what, no one gets them, because Apple doesn't tell you what, if anything, was actually fixed.

For windows users this is even worse, because all you can do there is download the entire installer, which includes the entire Quicktime component, which must be installed (and, BTW, you can't get quicktime for windows, you have to install itunes to get it - talk about MS'ing the Windows crowd).

Friends of mine just updated their version of itunes to 6.0.2 because she was tired of seeing the 'there's an update' message. They joke about how there seems to be an almost unending stream of updates to the software, and you can't deny it. Every time a new iPod or new feature or new anything is done, time to update. Then there's the bug fixes. Then more updates.

Hey apple, try testing longer, and updating less. You're customers would appreciate it!
  • Reply 19 of 48
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    BTW, for those that have installed 6.0.3, can you tell me whether it fixes the bug in 6.0.2 that affected smart playlists and star ratings? I updated to 6.0.2 on my iBook, but not my PowerMac because of this.

(In case you don't know what it is, if you create a smart playlist, pick "My Rating" and try to set it to 2 or 3, it would jump to 4 or 5 instead. It acts like its doubling the star value.)
  • Reply 20 of 48
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Louzer

BTW, for those that have installed 6.0.3, can you tell me whether it fixes the bug in 6.0.2 that affected smart playlists and star ratings? I updated to 6.0.2 on my iBook, but not my PowerMac because of this.

(In case you don't know what it is, if you create a smart playlist, pick "My Rating" and try to set it to 2 or 3, it would jump to 4 or 5 instead. It acts like its doubling the star value.)

I also found that problem in 6.0.2. We'll have to wait to see if it's fixed. I haven't got the strength to update 10.4.4 or iTunes until I've finished my current project.