One Picture a Day: Revisited

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Seeing as the old thread kinda died away... and that it's full of posts with defunct links to pics, I thought we should have a brand new spankin' thread for pics.

So, post away!

This is a picture taken with an old Russian camera. I don't remember the name of it - but I really liked its look and feel. It was a nice camera too, it produced some really sharp pics.

For a larger version, go here.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member

(with apologies to Georgia O'Keefe)

• Reply 2 of 25
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    In tribute of my latest escapades to Las Vegas I give you the man responsible Mr. Bugsy Siegal,

• Reply 3 of 25
    This picture was taken with a crappy digital camera while shooting a Hip Hop video clip. No further editing done.

• Reply 4 of 25
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
  • Reply 6 of 25
    Nice Asaph. Nice detail in the eye. Perhaps if the head were turned a little more toward the camera.
  • Reply 7 of 25
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    OK, that eye thing is just FREAKY!

*Runs away screaming arms in air*
  • Reply 8 of 25
    OK, calm now. I should probably make a contribution since I made a stink.

A 2/14 themed image. Just a little late.
  • Reply 9 of 25
    asaphasaph Posts: 176member
    Thanks for the compliment... he pooped on me about a minute after taking that shot. I got my picture and he got his revenge for the annoying photo shoot!

Here's one for today:

photo page
  • Reply 10 of 25
    asaphasaph Posts: 176member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

OK, calm now. I should probably make a contribution since I made a stink.

A 2/14 themed image. Just a little late.

How did you stage it? The offwhite background is nice.. I like it.
  • Reply 11 of 25
    Heh, get this... the background is looking down on the grey lid of my Epson 2400 scanner. I tried to remove everything from the background but the grey plastic worked. With a little tweaking in Photoshop I got a nice backdrop. I actually got that tip (reducing the luminance of the background and avoiding pure-white splotches around the borders) from one of my photography instructors a year ago. Sometimes these simple tips cam make all the difference.

I had 4 roses in a vase and staged them in different positions. I took about 20 photos at various angles. By far the hardest thing was controlling the lighting. I don't have a studio setup so I had to make do with halogen lamps and LED flashlights.

Boy was that fun.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Asaph, that owl picture is awesome.

A quick shot of the three flowers I got for my wife this valentine's day (my mom wanted to see them).

Also, this is my recently purchased XBox opened up for hard drive replacement (~2 hours after I dropped $130 on it!)

• Reply 13 of 25
    Quote:

I actually got that tip (reducing the luminance of the background and avoiding pure-white splotches around the borders) from one of my photography instructors a year ago. Sometimes these simple tips cam make all the difference.

Care to share?
  • Reply 14 of 25
    Tip #1) The Rule of thirds

For best composition, try to line up objects in your image according to 4 invisible lines. Divide the image into 3 vertical sections and 3 horizontal to find these lines. Now, if you try to do that with my image, it won't work because I cropped it down to screen resolution. The original does adhere to this.

Tip #2) Avoid brights around the edges

If you have bright sections next to the border of your image, it will draw your eye away from the main subject. This tip was passed from Ansel Adams to a great instructor I had and now from me to you.

ORIGINAL

EDITED

Tip #3) Depth of field

Depth of field is important especially for macro photography. You need to highlight what your viewer should see and place emphasis on subjects in your image. The way to control this is to change the iris size. The smaller the iris, the sharper and longer the depth of field. This is done through f-stops, and the larger the number (22) the smaller the iris.

Tip #4) Feel the curves

Pure white should be avoided. A printer can not print pure white and our eyes perceive this as a loss of information. With a white point around 95% of full, we still see it as white, but information is still there which make the image more pleasing to look at.

Advanced tip:

If you are working in 16-bit images, but may convert them to 8-but later, use curves to select the blackest black and whitest white of your photograph. This calibrates the image to use the full gamut spectrum before you convert and loose information. "But that makes my image look fake!" you say? Use an adjustment layer to restore settings if you like. What this does is protect you if you work in 8-bit with photoshop 7 like me and minimized combing effects.

There are perfectly good exceptions to all of these in the name of art so experiment with some images. I'm in LA right now, but I'll try to post some before and after images of another photo I did when I can.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    If I may use groverat's image as a mightyfine example.

I added the rule of thirds lines and you will notice how nicely two of the flowers fit into the corners. The top flower, though not centered on a line, has the edge of the petal follow the line down. That also counts.

I didn't notice this before, but the vase holding the flowers is perfectly centered between the two lines.

There is also a small depth of field blur in the table and background that keeps focus on the flowers themselves.

The only suggestion I would have is to darken the table down a little to make it grey. That should shift the "weight" of the image more center.
  • Reply 16 of 25
    A few week ago. The light was wonderful that morning.

I wish I had a little more room on the bottom. Too much lens.

• Reply 17 of 25
    Quote:

Tip #1) The Rule of thirds

For best composition, try to line up objects in your image according to 4 invisible lines. Divide the image into 3 vertical sections and 3 horizontal to find these lines. Now, if you try to do that with my image, it won't work because I cropped it down to screen resolution. The original does adhere to this.

I've never used this rule, but it does make sense. Thanks for your time and effort explaining this Ebby.

Here's one more from me: a public phone in one of the (almost-destructing) train stations of Chicago. I used some Photoshop filters to make it more film noir but in color...

• Reply 18 of 25
    how do i put a photograph in my post?
  • Reply 19 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cato988

how do i put a photograph in my post?

Host the image somewhere else (like www.flickr.com) for free

when you post here, click on the "image" button below the window where you type your message and paste in the url of your image into the window that opens up.
  • Reply 20 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

I've never used this rule, but it does make sense. Thanks for your time and effort explaining this Ebby.

Here's one more from me: a public phone in one of the (almost-destructing) train stations of Chicago. I used some Photoshop filters to make it more film noir but in color...

Which stop? Looks like the Blue Line.