Quicksilver: What's the Big Deal?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I've been reading a lot about Quicksilver lately (mostly evangelism) and it seems interesting, but I just don't see the point of it.

I downloaded it, and sure, it's faster than Spotlight. It also has more complex features like triggers, information appending, etc. But it seems like learning the application is more trouble than it's worth.

I also don't like how pausing between keystrokes types over previous entries. This feature makes me rush (since I like typing more than just the first 3 letters to search for something).

Plus, wouldn't using Quicksilver on your machine make working on any non-Quicksilver-enabled machine a headache?

I guess I'm still waiting to be sold on this "indispensible" ap.

So, sound off!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    I hate threads where you have to "convince" people of things.

Nevertheless, the problem here is that you may not be using the app correctly. I don't learn combos, and I don't use 90% of its tricks--I use QS because it is a very fast app launcher, it looks pretty w/o being slow and when I need it to, it can drill into my address book and pull up info faster than Apple's native app. Same thing with iTunes.

So I'd suggest installing it configured for defaults and just trying it out. I also only use it with a one-key trigger (command) for very fast invoking.

Your mileage may vary.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    If the forums were up, I'd tell you to go scan the blacktree boards, but they're down this week for some reason.

If I want to hear a song, I invoke and type 5 letters and return and voila.

if I want to open a bunch of Preview files with Adobe, I select them all using the very fast browsing capabailities and ,using the comma, select them all and do an open with.

If I have a movie selected in the finder, I invoke and type "vl" + "command+Opt+G" and it opens in VLC.

If I want to select 15 sentences from different docs and copy them to one file without doing them all individually, I can do it in 1 step.

It's a fast launcher, perhaps not as fast as Launchbar, but we're talking fractions of seconds. What does that mean? It means I hardly use the mouse, and open and manipulate files at will without thinking.

Also, I open all my favorite news sites with one trigger. I control iTunes in the background using triggers. Expose is near my hands and not in the functions keys by the eject button.

Quote:

Plus, wouldn't using Quicksilver on your machine make working on any non-Quicksilver-enabled machine a headache?

And if it'll fuck a person up because he's more efficient on his own machine than when using others, why not get a PC?

--B
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Jesus. And I forgot the websearches.

invoke. "imdb". return. "jack Nicholson". Return.

google.

google image, news,...

amazon.

wikipedia

macosxhints

google scholar

/.

routers

all the bittorrent sites...

weather conditions

onelook.com

wordreference

bbc

cnn

ebay

webmd

macfixit

thotbot

askjeeves

mysql

A million web searches and all as simple as the above. And you can do this with ANY searchable site!!!

invoke. "gi" <google image search>. return. Ana de la Reguera. return.

I don't even have to have Firefox open.

--B
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Evan4Maier

I also don't like how pausing between keystrokes types over previous entries. This feature makes me rush (since I like typing more than just the first 3 letters to search for something).

This can be adjusted in the prefs.

--B
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by bergz

invoke. "gi" <google image search>. return. Ana de la Reguera. return.

invoke. "gi" <google image search>. return. Paz Vega. return.

invoke. "gi" <google image search>. return. Natalia Verbeke. return.

• Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Whyatt Thrash

invoke. "gi" <google image search>. return. Paz Vega. return.

invoke. "gi" <google image search>. return. Natalia Verbeke. return.

Natalia Verbeke has weird nipples. They look like slices of bologna.

--B
  • Reply 7 of 7
    mrsinmrsin Posts: 163member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Evan4Maier

I've been reading a lot about Quicksilver lately (mostly evangelism) and it seems interesting, but I just don't see the point of it. ...

... I guess I'm still waiting to be sold on this "indispensible" ap. So, sound off!!

I know I'm a month late :, but was searching for information on "Launchbar vs Quicksilver." Still, your post has done wonders to convince me that my suspicions along these lines are correct - and that is, it's a matter of personal preference 8). That being said, try out and use or not use, your choice, Spotlight, Butler, Launchbar, Quicksilver - all of the above or none of the above. What "I" do, and you may wish to as well, is use what works best for 'me,' and take what others have to say under advisement. The bottom line, as you know, is the final decision is ultimately up to you anyway, different strokes and all that !